Updated June 20, 2023
Differences Between Django vs Laravel
Django is an open-source web development framework written in the Python programming language. The architecture pattern followed is Model View Template (MVT) in Django. The Django framework is used to develop complex web applications. Laravel is an open-source web development framework written in the PHP programming language. The architecture pattern followed is the Model View Controller (MVC) in Laravel. Laravel provides a rich set of functionalities similar to Ruby on Rails. Laravel can be used to develop Content Management System (CMS) applications.
The Django Software Foundation developed the Django framework. Django, which was first released in 2005, is licensed under a 3-clause BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) license and is being used by well-known websites like Mozilla, Instagram, Bitbucket, and Pinterest. All maintenance and releases are managed by the Django Software Foundation. Django is lightweight and has a standalone feature for development and testing purposes. The Django framework’s primary goal is to ease the development of complex web applications in lesser time.
Laravel was created and developed by Taylor Otwell. MIT License licensed Laravel. The Laravel framework, developed by developers in 2011, demands basic or advanced knowledge of PHP. It enables the development of Content Management System (CMS) applications and offers upscale features to handle more user traffic. Additionally, Laravel provides inbuilt features that can reduce the development time and make a developer’s life easier. Laravel has good features for developing a web application from scratch in an easier way.
Head to Head Comparison Between Django vs Laravel
Below are the top 8 comparisons between Django vs Laravel:
Key Differences Between Django and Laravel
Below are the lists of points that describe the critical differences between Django and Laravel performance:
- Django is a high-level web framework based on Python that provides rapid development and clean design solution. In contrast, the Laravel framework is a web application with elegant syntax and features such as routing, sessions, authentication, and caching.
- Django provides rapid development, a greater community, great packages, easy-to-learn, and excellent libraries, whereas Laravel provides quick development mode, dependency injection, application architecture, good community packages, MVC model, growing community, etc.,
- Django has a few cons in some features: unsupported or less performance templating, URL dispatchers, underpowered object-relational mapping, and internal subcomponents coupling. In contrast, Laravel has a few cons, like huge static methods calling and slow performance.
- Django has various middleware support, whereas Laravel has only HTTP middleware. Django is a little bit faster as it uses the programming language Python, which is faster, whereas Laravel uses PHP, which is a little slower.
- Django has a lot of built-in tools like decorators, SEO tools, third-party libraries, etc., whereas Laravel has more specific features and contains method injection.
- Django components are lightweight and have serialization and validating systems that translate between web page forms and database values. We can rephrase this sentence to active voice as: “In contrast, the developers of Laravel use a tool called composer to load all the dependencies and libraries. They place a file named composer.json in a source folder for this purpose.”
- Django supports Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) that provides an interface between application and database to persist the data from a database efficiently. In contrast, Laravel has query builder and Object Relational Mapping (ORM) support with an active record implementation.
- Django supports multi-ligula support, which is compatible with different multilingual websites through its built-in internationalization system, which is present in its internal design. In contrast, Laravel contains other namespaces and interfaces to organize and manage the resources.
- Django supports the Administration Graphical User Interface, which is ready for administrative tasks or activities. In contrast, the Laravel authentication and template engine mechanism design the hierarchy schemas layouts, including some dynamic content.
- Django supports frameworks such as Ajax, Caching, RSS (Rich Site Summary) feeds, and various other frameworks.
- Django provides a development environment with a lightweight web server with more accessible and faster deployment, which ensures an end to end development and testing activities. In contrast, the Laravel framework includes Queues and event & command bus, which is used to run the cron jobs. The event command bus supports executing different commands and dispatches various events more easily.
Comparison Table Between Django vs Laravel
Following is the comparison table between Django vs Laravel performance.
|Definition||It is a Full Stack web application framework written in Python||The developers wrote Laravel, which is a Full Stack web application framework in PHP.|
|Maintenance||Django Software Foundation maintains it||Under an MIT license, it is being maintained by the developer and its community.|
|Architecture||It is a Model View Template (MVT) model||It is a Model View Controller (MVC) model|
|Platform||It supports cross-platform||It supports cross-platform|
|Generality||It has a rapid development feature with a great community users group||It has clean architecture and a growing community base|
|Scalability||Supports high scalability||Laravel also supports high scalability, but the difference lies in the language used to build the framework.|
|Standardization||Large developer community base||Developer Community|
|Compatibility||Several other frameworks do exist for Python||The sole PHP framework to take into account.|
Django web application framework supports Python, whereas Laravel supports PHP. The only differences between Django vs Laravel frameworks are that the language they support and several different features and libraries exist to fulfill other requirements. There exist a lot of pros and cons as well to understanding the differences between Django vs Laravel performance. Regarding user community popularity, Django rates well and well, and Laravel also places nearly good similar to Django, where it lacks some pros compared to Django.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Django vs Laravel” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.