Difference between Data Science and Web Development
Investments are crucial for individuals and businesses. They lessen the risk in our lives and act as a cushion in times of need. When it comes to businesses, investments are not just financial but also the ones made of its employees i.e. building teams and image building. There is a quote by Warren Buffet which says-“Someone’s sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.” True to this quote, businesses have to invest in today to reap the benefits tomorrow. Going by recent trends, we will be discussing two types of investment Data Science and Web Development.
Data Science is the interdisciplinary science if data analysis using statistics, algorithm building, and technology. With recent Data Science trends like Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence, more companies want to invest in a Data Science team to understand their data better and make wise decisions. Web development is the creation of a website for the internet or intranet. Since a website is the face of a company, it is necessary for companies to invest in one. Also, Web Development companies need to match their skills with the coming trends as businesses have become more E-Based i.e. E-Commerce and E-Learning. This, in turn, is a driving factor for setting up Data Science teams in businesses
Head to Head Comparison between Data Science vs Web Development (Infographics)
Below is the Top 8 Comparison Between Data Science vs Web Development
Key Differences between Data Science vs Web Development
- Data Science is the process of analyzing data using specialized skills and technology whereas Web Development is the creation of a website for the internet or intranet using company details, client requirement, and technical skills.
- Data Science is a relatively new concept having been introduced in 2008 whereas Web development has been around since 1999.
- Python is used by both Data Scientists and Web Developers. However, in Data Science it is used for analyzing data whereas in web development it is used in creating a website.
- Data Science uses coding widely but also includes other elements whereas the whole of Web Development is based on coding.
- There is statistics involved in Data Science whereas in Web Development there is no use for statistics.
- Data Scientists try to answer business related questions at the end of the analysis whereas Web Developers try to cater to the client requirement while building a website.
- Data Science depends on the availability of data whereas Web Development depends on close interaction with the client to understand needs and to get the required information.
- The budget for Data Science is steep but is fixed whereas the budget for Web Development keeps changing with the changing requirement and the additional features.
- Data Scientists work for a shorter period of time on data to get results in comparison to Web Developers who take a long time to launch a website.
- Data Scientists work with structured and unstructured data whereas Web Developers work with Company information.
- With the coming of E-Commerce, Data Scientists have an understanding of websites whereas Web Developers do not possess the skills to work with data.
- There are a lot of future trends in Data Science like Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence whereas not many trends in Web Development.
Data Science vs Web Development Comparison Table
The differences between Data Science vs Web Development are explained in the points presented below:
|Basis For Comparison||Data Science||Web Development|
|Coining of Term||DJ Patil and Jeff Hammerbacher who were employees of LinkedIn and Facebook respectively gave the term Data Science in 2008.||The term was popularized by Tim O’Reilly and Dale Dougherty in late 2004. It was initially coined by Darcy DiNucci in 1999.|
|Concept||Is a combination of statistics, algorithms and technology to analyse data.||It is the creation of websites for the intranet which is a public platform or the intranet which is a private platform.|
|Coding||Coding is used widely to feed the computer with commands to analyse data and give the end output.||The entire process of web development involves coding.|
|Statistics||Uses statistics to a certain extent.||Uses no statistics|
|Data Needed||Structured and unstructured data.||No data is required. Only company details is required for web site.|
|Future Trends||Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.||E-Commerce and E-Learning|
Conclusion – Data Science vs Web Development
Careers are built based on the passion, drive, skills, and opportunities that a person has. In the case of the comparison between Data Science and Web Development, both are in trend and provide students, fresher and experienced professionals a lot of scopes to learn. Data Scientists need to have a sound understanding of statistics and computer science. Coupling this with the voluminous data at hand that the different verticals generate every day, Data Scientists have the opportunity to explore different data sets and help businesses forecast their data to get valuable insights. Data Science openings are the most sought after openings of today. Web Development, on the other hand, is taking slow steps but the end product of creating a website is fascinating and thrills many. With websites acting as platforms for businesses i.e. E-Commerce, the latter has been a driving factor for the setting up of Data Science Teams. Data Scientists are experts at working with Internet-based data. The comparison of these Data Science and Web Development work areas cannot be done except for a few similarities. However, both Data Science and Web Development keep up with trends and offer great opportunities.
This has been a guide to Data Science vs Web Development, their Meaning, Head to Head Comparison, Key Differences, Comparision Table, and Conclusion. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –
- 10 Best Web Development Interview Questions
- Data Science Vs Data Engineering – Which One Is More Useful
- Amazing Guide On Drupal Web Development
- 9 Awesome Difference Between Data Science Vs Data Mining
- Get Started With Python and Django for Web Development
- Drupal vs Joomla: Functions
- SASS Interview Questions: Amazing Questions
All in One Data Science Bundle (360+ Courses, 50+ projects)
4.7 (3,220 ratings)
360+ Online Courses
Machine Learning Course
Data Science with Python Course
Data Scientist Course
Deep Learning Course