Create Set In Tableau – Introduction
Tableau is a Business Intelligence tool for visually analyzing the data. Everything we do is increasingly contributing to huge amounts of data which can be leveraged by organizations to increase their business. Tableau products are transforming the way people use data to solve the problems. Tableau Software is the global leader in rapid-fire business intelligence software. Tableau is revolutionizing the way data is being used. Tableau is used by businesses, academic researchers, and many government organizations for visual data analysis. Tableau can connect to files, relational and Big Data sources to acquire and process data.
Set are custom fields that are created within Tableau Desktop based on dimensions from your data source. Tableau uses filters, groups and set to organize data. Set can be thought of as custom segments, but unlike dimension fields, they are always binary. Tableau Set is a custom filed used to hold the subset of a data based on some condition. Tableau set allows you to isolate specific segments of a dimension, and can then be used in several different ways to find insights into your data. Set in Tableau are used to create subsets of data based on certain conditions defined by the user.
What is Set About:
Set are subsets of your data, which can be created manually or computed. Either dimensions or measures can be used to determine what is included or excluded from a set using conditional logic. Set can be created for having a subset data of top 10 customers with the highest sales.
You can pick individual dimension members to place in a set, have set be based on quantitative thresholds, created with the top or bottom performing dimension members, and more. There are certain use cases of a set. Some of these use cases include highlighting data that meets certain criteria, examining manually selected members of a dimension, comparing and contrasting members in the set vs. those that are not (IN/OUT), creating combined set and much more.
In real-time Tableau, Set can be created by selecting members from a list or By writing custom Condition or Selecting Top or Bottom few records based on Measure value so on.
Within Tableau, the icon for a set is represented by a small Venn diagram (two interlocking rings). Set are also included in Tableau data sources (*.tds files), Tableau data extracts (*.tde files) and packaged Tableau data sources (*.tdsx).
Tableau – How to create Set in Tableau :
It is a very easy and straight-forward method to create a static set in a tableau. There are different ways – a user can create set in tableau . As shown on below image – I am using the sum of Sales in Column field and Customer Name on Rows. I am using default data – Superstore data set provided by Tableau.
- I have arranged data in order of a customer with the highest sales.
- I have selected Top 10 Customer Name
- Right click and create set on the icon shown as a small Venn diagram
- I have given Name Top 10 Customer as a set name and clicked on OK.
- As shown in below diagram – You can see, I have created set of Top 10 Customer. The set will appear on the Set Shelf on the left-hand side of the panel.
This set tells us whether each customer name is in or out of the Top 10 customer by sales. This set is available to use our analysis. This set created is static in nature, it means when a new customer enters to top 10, it will not dynamically change.
You can create a dynamic set. It means a dynamic set allows you to change value when the data set is getting updated. Below are the steps to create a dynamic set:
1. You can select dimension as shown below, I have selected top 15 sales value. Right click and create set on the icon shown as a small Venn diagram
2. I have given Name Top 15 Sales as a set name and clicked on OK.
3. As shown in below diagram – You can see, I have created set of Top 15 Sales. The set will appear on the Set Shelf on the left-hand side of the panel.
4.5 (1,953 ratings)
Dynamic set like above will dynamically update their data when their values of sales are updating. A dynamic set is good for real-time analysis.
5 Ways to use Set:
There are five ways to use the set.
- You can use set as a filter. Since sets are binary, you can add them as a filter. You can use using by right-clicking on a set from the Set Shelf and choosing Show Filters.
- You can use set as a encode marks. It can be done by dragging the set from the Set Shelf to the color mark card.
- You can use set as a calculated field. It can be used like dimensions and measures.
- You can use set as dimension fields. It can be done by adding fields to the column shelf or row shelf, the view will be sliced and diced by that dimension field.
- You can sue set as a Custom hierarchy. It allows you and ends user to easily drill won and back up across different dimensions.
Filter: Filters can even use with logical conditions on measures or dimensions to modify the subset of data that is returned. This seems much more in line with the functionality of a set than what we saw from a group.
Groups: Groups are used to simplify a visualization that is using a dimension with a large membership. Groups must be created within a dimension. Simplifies large numbers of dimension members by combining them into higher-level categories.
Conclusion – Create Set In Tableau
In this, we have analyzed on Tableau: How to create a Set and Tableau which is one of the advanced BI Tools. Tableau is primarily used to create a story from your data. Tableau is used for creating reports and interactive dashboards. It is mostly used for data visualizations and creating trends in data. Tableau is self-service drag and drop tools for Business Intelligence. Tableau can be used for simple statistical analytics.
This has been a guide to Create Set In Tableau. Here we have discussed different sets which are helpful for creating set in a tableau. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –