Introduction To Tableau interview Questions And Answers
If you are looking for a job that is related to Tableau, you need to prepare for the Tableau Interview Questions. Though every interview is different and the scope of a job is also different, we can help you out with the top Tableau Interview Questions and answers, which will help you take the leap and get you success in your interview.
In this post, we are going to discuss about the popularly asked Tableau Interview Questions.
1.Explain Tableau and its products.
Tableau is an interactive data visualization product majorly focused on providing business intelligence. It is used to connect to the data, visualize it and create interactive dashboards for further analysis. Below is the list of different Tableau products:
- Tableau Desktop: A self-service data visualization and business analytics tool which is easily accessible. This is used to translate data images into optimized queries. The data warehouse can be directly used to connect with the live data up to data analysis completion. Query execution can be performed without writing a single line of code. All the data from various sources can be imported into Tableau’s data engine and integrated by combining all the views in the form of an interactive dashboard.
- Tableau Server: This enterprise level Tableau software can be used to publish Tableau desktop based dashboards and share them using web-based Tableau server throughout the organization. It is used to leverage fast database by making use of live connections.
- Tableau online: Tableau server’s hosted version is used to make business intelligence easier and faster than before. Tableau dashboards can be shared with colleagues by using tableau desktop.
- Tableau Reader: Free desktop application which enables you to view visualizations primarily built on Tableau Desktop. Filtering and drilling down of data is possible but editing or any kind of interactions is not possible in this case.
- Tableau Public: As the name suggests, this is the free version of Tableau software which can be used to make visualizations once the workbooks are saved on the Tableau server which can then be viewed by anyone.
2.What are measures and dimensions?
Measures are the numeric quantities or measurable metrics of data analyzed easily by the dimension table. They are stored in the table containing foreign keys which refers uniquely to the associated dimension tables. The data stored in the table is in atomic form thereby allowing more number of records to be inserted at a particular time. A sales table, for instance, can contain product key, customer key, items sold, promotion key, etc. details which are referring to a particular event.
Dimensions, on the other hand, are descriptive attribute values used for multiple dimensions of an attribute which defines different characteristics. A dimension table can consist values like product name, type, product size, description, color, etc.
3.Define aggregation and disaggregation in a tableau.
They both are the ways used to develop a scatterplot in order to measure and compare data values. Aggregation, as the name suggests, is the calculated form of a specific set of values which return a single numeral value. For instance, a set of values such as 1, 3, 5, 7 will return the value
1.The default aggregation like sum, median, average, count, etc. are not user-defined.
Disaggregating data is used to refer to viewing every data source row and analyzing data both dependently as well as independently.
4.What is context filter and what are its limitations?
It makes the filtering process smooth and straightforward. It is used to establish a filtering hierarchy where all the present filters are used to refer to context filters while other filters process the data which has been already passed by the context filter. More than one context filter creation is used to improve performance as extra filters are not created and thus the query execution time is also maintained. This can be created by dragging the field into filters tab and right click on the field and select “Add to context”.
Limitations of context filter: By default time is taken to place a filter in context. A temporary file is created as soon as the filter is set to context one for that context filter. The table will reload every time and it will contain the values not filtered by either context filter or by custom SQL filter.
5.What are Schedules and Extracts in a Tableau server?
Data extracts are the first subdivisions or copies of actual data from original data sources. The workbook using data extracts instead of living connections is faster. After the extraction of data users can publish their workbook. Scheduled refresh is the scheduled task set used to refresh the data extract. This saves from the effort of republishing the workbook every time the data gets updated.
6.Name the components of the dashboard.
Answer: The components are:
7.What is page shelf?
Answer: It is a distinct and a powerful tool to control the output display. It fragments the view into the line of pages thereby giving a different view on every page. This minimizes the scrolling and makes it more user-friendly. The pages can be flipped through specific controls and compared at the common axle.
8.What is the maximum number of tables that can be joined?
A maximum of 32 tables can be joined.
9.What are shelves and sets?
Shelves are named areas to the left and to the top of the view. Views are built using fields by placing them onto shelves.
Sets, on the other hand, are the custom fields used to define a data subset primarily based on conditions. A set can be based upon a specific computed condition. For example, a set contains customers with sales more than a particular threshold. These sets get updated as and when your data changes.
10.Display top 5 and last 5 records in a single view.
You need to create two sets. The first one containing the top 5 records while the other one with bottom 5. Then join these two sets by displaying a total set of 10 records.
In this post, we have discussed the top 10 Tableau interview Questions. Hope you liked reading it. Stay tuned to our blog for more articles.
This has been a guide to List Of Tableau Interview Questions and Answers so that the candidate can crackdown these Tableau Interview Questions easily. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –