Difference Between AutoCAD and FreeCAD
The design world is really fascinating, for it’s stylish, innovative, creative design products.
Every single day different technologies are introducing in the market. For constructing any small piece of design, we need some specially crafted software, where Autocad and Freecad come into the play.
AutoCAD is a commercial computer-aided design (CAD) and drafting (Technical drawing) software application. In technical drawings, we have to consider the many aspects before start creating any drawing, like the visual representation, measurements how something will function.
Autocad was introduced in December 1982, as the desktop application on the microcomputer. A microcomputer is a small-computer which are not in high price, with a microprocessor as its central processing unit called as (CPU).
FreeCAD name itself explained free and open-sourcing software. It means anyone can freely use or study, or change software according to their requirements, so they can openly be shared with people are embolden freely / purposefully.
Freecad is a parametric 3D CAD Modeler. A parametric modeler means it uses certain guidelines (Like Dimension, measurement, features). This particular specification will decide to design model features, material density, any specific formulas imported data. The parameters can be adjusted later in the phase if needed. These changes will reflect the modification.
Generally, there is a link established between the parts, assemblies, and drawings. A part consists of various features, and assembly consists of multiple parts. Drawing can be designed from either parts or assemblies.
Head To Head Comparison Between AutoCAD and FreeCAD (Infographics)
Below is the top 6 difference between AutoCAD vs FreeCAD
Key differences between AutoCAD and FreeCAD
Both are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major difference:
- Autocad has an inbuilt feature of 2D drawing, drafts which can encompass the appearance of text, dimension styles. It also links and updates with Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and tables. Freecad allows adding an extra plugin to speed up the workflow. Freecad enables users to run large-scale python scripts or even the tangled C++ scripts structure.
- For creating 3D objects, AutoCAD offers users to add lighting or shadows to the materials, so they can get perfect rendering effects for their drawings. Freecad offers a complete user interface (UI), which is based upon the framework. It has an open based 3D viewer which allows the representation of graphs and also fast -rendering effects for the final drawings.
- Autocad establishes PDF import with SHF Text format. These texts are created in Autocad and introduced in the program as geometries. Freecad is the combination of all resourceful libraries like open-cascade which manages for construction of geometry, Coin3D for displaying geometry and Qt which will put all these together with Graphical Users Interface
- AutoCAD helps users prevent product failures and warranty issues. As Freecad is an open-source parametric modeler, there is always a chance of the bug, but you can still report FreeCad Tracker.
- AutoCAD is Available on Window,Android iPhone/iPad,Mac Web-based. FreeCAD is available on Windows Linux Mac.
AutoCAD vs FreeCAD Comparison Table
Below is the topmost comparison between:
|The Basis of||
|AUTOCAD is a 3D computer-aided design software from Autodesk. It was mainly built and developed for product design and manufacturing.
Autocad is mainly used to design 2D, 3D drawings, drafts, concepts.
|FREECAD is a general purpose 3D parametric modeler that ratify a modular software architecture. This Framework allows you to enhance the functionality by adding plugins.
|Autocad 2D drawing, concepts, annotation features incorporate facilities to control its display of text materials, dimension styles. It will automatically link and update via Microsoft program like excel||Freecad allows you to add expansion with a very straightforward manner, like Python scripts or difficulties level for a program with C++ programmed application.|
|Users Application||Autocad allows users to explicate the initial details of the 3D design. Autocad facilitates the users to import data from PDF files, so they can easily exchange with their mates, so they review it for a better understanding of the drawings.
|The software runs totally on a parametric model. Its make a lot easier for workflow speed, great thing is that it allows you to reform changes in design by referring to your design history before adjusting any specific parameters.
Users can fully program it in python.
|Industry Users Sector||Civil engineers, architecture, the manufacturing sector,
Entrepreneurs, medical professionals
Educator, engineers, real-time object small workshop
|External Resources||Autocad enables users to fetch data from non-Autodesk
3D models, geographical layouts, online maps and link drawings, images with their current layout design.
|Freecad can import or export data files from various formats for 3D drawing/designs.
Due to its flexible composition, it’s very easy to add on basic functions with extra plugins
If you would like to purchase AUTODESK AUTOCAD, but before doing that, it is always a good idea to understand and self-analyze the various option available in the market for CAD software. As there is a bunch of excellent software available in the market, first find out your business needs, budget, skill levels which plays an important role in buying Software. Review some real-time users experiences, that is also quite helpful to come to any decision.
This has a been a guide to the top difference between AutoCAD vs FreeCAD. Here we also discuss the AutoCAD vs FreeCAD key differences with infographics, and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more: