Bug Reporting Tools – In the Software Development Life Cycle tracking and finding bugs is one of the most important step. Without this step a software is not complete. It is a big deal to track, manage and solve every kind of bugs to build a perfect app. There are many bug tracking systems available in the market. Still choosing a right bug reporting software is not an easy job. You should consider a lot of things based on your project requirement. There are also few bug tracking systems which not only tracks the bug but also manages the full software and does various other tasks also.
Why use bug tracking tool ?
There are a lot of reasons for using bug reporting tools. The reasons are listed below
- Find out the issues earlier
- Find all the issues in the application
- Deliver the right app at the first attempt itself
- Prioritize the issues and work on that
- Deliver what the right app and make the customers happy
Flow of Bug tracking
A bug reporting tools workflow goes in the following order
- Capturing – Captures the bugs and issues
- Recording – Records the issue for the team to decide about the issue
- Accountability – Finds out who is responsible for the issue. This will help in forward progress
- Prioritization – The team will prioritize the issue and work on that
- Resolving – Finds a solution for the issue
- Reviewing – A cross check is again done to finalize whether the issue is fixed correctly
Essentials for a bug tracking software
There are few features which are must for any bug tracking system
- Documenting facility
- Storage and retrieval
Are you looking for best bug tracking system ?
Here in this article we are going to make it easy for you to select a bug tracker that suits your need. Below is the list of best bug reporting tools with its features.
Bugzilla – Bug Reporting Tools
Bug Reporting Tools Bugzilla is one of the premium server software that helps in software development management. Bug Reporting Tools Bugzilla is developed by Mozilla foundation as a open source software and it is a powerful tool to manage the software development process. It allows to track the bugs and errors more efficiently. Bugzilla is rich in its features such as advanced search facility, bug lists in various formats, report generation, filing of bugs by mail, automatic detection of duplicate bugs and others.
4.6 (3,144 ratings)
Bug Reporting Tools Bugzilla reached great heights in a short span of time because of its rich features
- Has optimized structure of database that increases the scalability and performance
- High security
- Advanced query tool
- Email notification facility and allows users to add email id’s to their profile
- Best permission systems
Bug Reporting Tool Bugzilla increases the quality of the product and in turn improves the customer satisfaction. This bug tracking software is used by many of the top rated companies like Facebook, Mozilla, Apache, NASA, RedHat, etc.
Redmine – Bug Reporting Tools
Redmine is a free bug tracking tool and open source and most commonly used web based software management. It is written using the Ruby On Rails framework which supports cross platforms and multiple databases. It is integrated with Source Code Management (SCM) systems.
The major features of this bug tracking tool includes the following
- Flexible bug tracking system
- Role based access control
- Handles multiple projects at the same time
- Gantt chart and calendar provides pictorial representation of the project
- File and document management
- Email notifications
- Multiple languages
- Multiple platforms with multiple databases
- Create task and sub task to categorize the issues in the project
All the features are available only for the registered users. There is an Bug Reporting Tools online demo of Redmine available in the site.
Trac – Bug Reporting Tools
Trac is a web based free bug tracking tool and an open source software written in Python. Trac is developed by Edgewall Software as the superior version of Wiki and is used as a bug and issue tracking system for software development projects. It is so simple and easy to use. It offers a minimalistic approach towards software management. It supports multiple platforms like bug reporting tools Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and Windows. The issues or bugs in Trac are called tickets. The ticket management system in Trac is also used as defect management.
- Convenient reporting system
- Wiki mark up in issue descriptions
- Timeline history
- Roadmap and milestones
- Multi Plugins
- Creates links
- Seamless integration between bugs, files and Wiki pages
Mantis – Bug Reporting tools
Mantis is one of the reputed open source web based bug tracking system. This is written in PHP framework and works with multiple databases like MS SQL, MY SQL, PostgreSQL and more. Mantis is a very simple and easy to use tool. Mantis is what you need for your software development management. It has a lot of good features in it. Mantis also has a mobile version along with its web application. This software is best suited for any small and medium sized company. Mantis follows a multi level hierarchy as mentioned below
Projects à Sub Projects à Categories à Bugs
- Cheaper software
- Customizable issue pages
- Generates reports with graphs and charts
- Advanced search and filter options
- Easy installation
- Change history of issues
- Unlimited number of users
- Time tracking
- Handles multiple projects
- Custom fields
- Source code integration
- RSS feeds
- Email notifications
- Multi DBMS support
- Assistance and support for mobile devices
- Chat option
JIRA – Bug Reporting Tools
Bug Reporting Tool JIRA is primarily an incident management tool but most commonly it is used as a bug tracking tool. It is a reputed J2EE based bug tracking tool and software management tool. It offers a simple way to track issues and manage them. Bug Reporting Tools JIRA has a lot of advanced features and one special feature is its easy integration with code development environments.
- Supports many Add ins
- Maintain records
- Report generation
- Excellent workflow
- Mobile integration
- Easy integration with code development environment
- Supports agile projects
Request Tracker – Bug Reporting Tools
Request tracker which is also known as RT is an enterprise grade software which helps a group of people to efficiently manage tasks and issues. This tool is also used as a Help desk system, project management system, NOC ticketing, CRM and software development. This tool actually connects the different departments in an organization through its functions and features.
- Mobile optimized interface
- Email integration
- Command line
- Provides relationship graphs
- Rich text editing
- Easy customization of themes
- Easy branding
The Bug Genie – Bug Reporting Tools
It is an excellent project management and issue tracking tool. This system is written in PHP framework and it is a more friendly tool which is easy to use. It also deals with defect management system. The Bug Genie works in multiple platforms and has multiple databases. It also contains multiple language system. The Bug Genie is not a free Bug Reporting tool. But a free trial of this tool is available.
- Integration with many SCM systems
- Issue tracking mechanism
- Integrated Wiki
- Easy installation
- User reports
- Supports Multiple languages
eTraxis – Bug Reporting Tools
eTraxis is yet another powerful web based tracking tool that can be used to track bugs and do more than that. This system is developed in a PHP framework and supports multiple databases like My SQL, MS SQL, Oracle and others. The important attraction of this software is the flexibility that the tool offers to its users. The users can customize the workflow of the tool for tracking purpose. These customized workflows are called as templates and are more handy to use. This system serves as a bug tracker, help desk and a CRM system. This is not a free bug reporting tool but a trial version is available for the users.
- Comprehensive email alerts
- Detailed History
- Filtering and commenting on the issues
- Supports attachments in issue
- Flexible permissions
- Handles multiple projects
- Unlimited number of users
- Create n number of workflows and customize it as per their requirement
- Easy integration with users’ existing tools and workflow
BugNet – Bug Reporting Tools
BugNet is another open source issue management tool which is written using ASP.NET and supports multiple databases. The tool is easy to deploy and is scalable. It has all the major features of other bug reporting tools like creating projects, managing the projects, detecting the issues and tracking them.
- GPL licensed web based tool
- Supports Multiple databases and multiple projects
- Milestone management
- Good security
- Online chat
- Email alerts
- Easy navigation
- Customization of fields
- Reports about the issue
- Issue capture
Exceptional bug reporting tools
Exceptional is a premium bug tracking tool which was launched in the year 2008. It will help you to track and manage the bugs or issues within the web application. It offers real time reports and offers all kind of information you need to fix the issue. It provides a stable platform for tracking and reporting issues in the application.
- Supports multiple databases
- Data filtering for security
- Real time notifications via SMS, Email and web hooks
- Captures custom data
- Manage multiple projects
- Give comments for errors
Sifter – Bug – Reporting Tools
Sifter is yet another important tracking tool which requires very less configuration. This tracking tool is used by many top rated organizations. It will help you to deliver high quality end product. It does not require more coded configuration and helps you to track and manage the projects in an easy way.
The important features of this tool includes the following:
- This tool has a project dashboard which gives a quick overview of all the projects and tasks.
- The milestones of the tool lets you to know the due dates and keep track of the progress of the project.
- It automatically provides a daily summary each morning of the previous day’s activity.
BugHerd – Bug Reporting Tools
BugHerd is the most simplest bug tracking tool that is most commonly used by the developers. It helps to capture client feedback, track, manage and resolve the issues in a simple and easy way. There is no complicated setup. Just input the issue and this tool will convert it into reports with all the information needed to resolve the issue within few seconds.
- Easy to use interface
- Direct links
- Inline tagging
- Browser extension
- File attachments to the issue
- Visual bug reports
- Full selector data
- Automatic capture client
- Real time discussions
FogBugz – Bug Reporting Tools
FogBugz is specially built to track the bugs in every phase of the software development process. In this tool the bugs or issues are called ‘Cases’. It provides a easy workflow to list, manage and solve the cases. With the advanced project management features of this tool you can get a detailed outline of the project and set up milestones. Other than bug tracking this tool can be used for CRM, discussion forum and evidence based scheduling.
- Allows to create Wikis
- Customizable case lists
- Source code integration
- Automatic reporting of cases
- Scheduling functions like timeline chart, detailed picture of the project
- Incorporate user feedback
- Integrates with users email
- Filters and sorts the issues
LogDigger – Bug Reporting Tools
LogDigger comes with a set of tools to capture errors and bugs of the applications easily for your Java applications. It is an user friendly tool which will help you to classify and get detailed reports of the errors. Whatever may be the kind of Java framework you use, it will work excellently for it. It has an engaging User Interface which will help you to learn the tool with no hassles.
- Instant notifications about the report level logs and context
- Build custom modules via HTTP POST and sends it to BugDigger
- Works with any bug reporting tools in Java web development framework
- Provides in depth error knowledge
- No need for external error logging server
Pivotal tracker – Bug Reporting Tools
Pivotal tracker is a web based bug tracking tool which is more commonly used by the people who follow agile methodology. The user interface of this tool is very friendly. This tool works in a sequential manner that breaks your projects into smaller sections, find out the complexity of each section and then prioritize it.
- Unique issue number
- Comprehensive API and more Add-ons
- Uses charts to represent data
- Simple workflow
The above bug reporting tools list are the most commonly used bug reporting tools. You might find that the main objective of all the bug reporting tools is not only bug tracking tools. This is because bug tracking cannot be done as a separate activity without taking the other aspects of the project into consideration. Thus bug tracking tool becomes a part of bug reporting tools in addition to other activities. There are also lot of other bug reporting tools available for bug tracking.