Differences Between WordPress vs Shopify
WordPress vs Shopify are two of the popular solutions in the current e-commerce industry. Both WordPress vs Shopify solutions do have some similarities in nature but at the same point in time, there are also many differences between WordPress vs Shopify. Here, we will be going to have a detailed discussion on WordPress vs Shopify.
WordPress is basically a free and open source content management system. The artefacts of WordPress are mainly based on PHP and MySQL. WordPress is one of the most popular blogging platforms which can work with plugins and extensions. It was initially released on May 27, 2003.
Shopify is basically an e-commerce platform and unlike WordPress, it is a paid tool. To use Shopify, users can simply sign up in Shopify.com and after a quick setup process, it is ready to go. It is an all in one e-commerce tool where developers can build a functional e-commerce store from the beginning. It provides a wide range of templates which can be customized based on the business logic and requirements.
Like two sides of a coin, both WordPress vs Shopify have few pros and cons.
WordPress (Pros and Cons)
- WordPress is open source and no license fees are required
- Being an open source solution, WordPress is a cost-effective option for small to medium-sized business requirements
- WordPress provides good supports for many SEO plugins. These plugins provide optimized and effective solutions for E-commerce business requirements.
- Being open source software, WordPress developers can share codes online and these results in producing more cost-effective optimized business solutions.
- WordPress is easy to operate and it can be easily installed on a hosting server.
- It is mainly made for the larger markets and it has convenient and friendly admin interphase.
- Being an open source platform, WordPress is not that much secure and attractive to potential hackers.
- In the case of WordPress, developers have to go through different platforms and internal configurations to build the e-commerce supporting functional platform. Thus the speed is comparatively slower than Shopify.
- Unlike other content management system, WordPress has limited permissions.
- WordPress doesn’t provide any natively defined multiple content areas within one template and so the content sometimes becomes more difficult to implement.
- There are many WordPress plugins which don’t provide high functionality.
Shopify (Pros and Cons)
- Shopify has a clean and easy to use interface.
- Being an E-Commerce platform, it is already a hosted site and thus its security is stronger than that of WordPress.
- It provides a good variety of free, responsive and attractive templates
- It actually offers a simple PayPal integration which provides an added value in the current E-Commerce industries.
- It provides excellent point-of-sale options.
- Its functionalities can be easily extended due to the presence of a huge range of third-party apps
- Shopify is a paid tool and in case of small business setups, it may not be an ideal choice
- It doesn’t come with the email hosting feature
- While using a non-Shopify owned payment gateway, transaction fees are required
- In terms of blogging platform, WordPress produces much better solutions than Shopify. Shopify provides just a basic layout for blogging
- Sometimes Shopify themes become a little bit difficult to customize
- Shopify may not be a favorable option in case of a platform migration process.
Head to Head Comparison between WordPress vs Shopify
Below is the Top 8 Comparisons Between WordPress vs Shopify
Key Differences Between WordPress vs Shopify
The difference between WordPress vs Shopify, are explained in the below-mentioned points:
- WordPress is basically an open source content management system based on PHP and MySQL whereas Shopify is solely an E-Commerce platform
- Unlike WordPress, Shopify can be used both online and offline
- Shopify provides wide range of free templates whereas WordPress has a limited section of templates and most of them are not free to use
- Being an open source solution WordPress can be a suitable option for small business requirements whereas this may not be the case for Shopify
- Being an E-Commerce platform, Shopify is already a hosted site and thus it provides much better security than WordPress
- In terms of the blogging platform, WordPress will be a much better option than Shopify.
Comparison Table Between WordPress vs Shopify
Following is the comparison table between WordPress vs Shopify
|The Basis Of Comparison Between WordPress vs Shopify||WordPress||Shopify|
|Definition||WordPress is basically an open source content management system based on PHP and MySQL.||Shopify is solely an E-Commerce platform|
|Implementation||In the case of WordPress, a user has to go through multiple setups like buying a domain, web hosting account, design implementation, configuration setup process etc.||To use Shopify, the user can simply sign up in Shopify.com and after a quick setup process, it is ready to go|
|Architecture||In the case of WordPress, even though it also belongs to an all-in-one place, but still developers have to go through different platforms and internal configurations to build the e-commerce supporting functional platform||It is basically an all in one e-commerce tool where developers can build a functional e-commerce store from the beginning.|
|Availability||It is a frees software that can be downloaded and implemented accordingly||Unlike WordPress, Shopify is a paid tool|
|Skill Set||Based on the customization and implementation process, some coding, designing and website building skills are required||In the case of Shopify, no coding skills are required|
|Support||Even though it doesn’t have any direct support, but still, there is a lot of community support for WordPress which helps them utilizing different e-commerce aspects as per the current industry standards||Shopify has a huge backup and lots of community support regarding e-commerce platform implementation. It actually provides full 24/7 support|
|Storage||In the case of WordPress, file storage depends on the web host||In the case of Shopify, it provides unlimited file storage|
|Advanced Features||WordPress can be used online only||Shopify can be used both online and offline|
Conclusion WordPress vs Shopify
After comparing WordPress vs Shopify over a range of factors, it can be concluded that selection of any of the solution depends entirely on the features that best fit the project needs as each one has its own pros and cons. Thus, based on the project need, time of work and on all other different discussed aspects, any one of these solutions should be selected to reach the desired goal.
4.5 (1,073 ratings)
This been a useful guide to Differences Between WordPress vs Shopify here we discussed their Meaning, Head to Head Comparisons, Key Differences, and Conclusions. You may also look at the following article to learn more –