Introduction to DDoS Attack
DDos commonly abbreviated as Distributed Denial of Service which is used to wash out the network resources due to that the end user cannot get access to the essential information and also it makes the performance of application very slow. DDos is an attempt to make a web application or online service busy by congestion with massive floods of traffic which produced from several multiple resources. It is hard to locate where the attack comes from or the origin of attack because it arrives from various sources, usually uses Trojon to infect a system. In this article, we will discuss What is DDoS Attack?
DoS (Denial of Service) attack is different from DDoS attacks because DoS is used to target a single network connection and single computer whereas the DDoS attack used to damage multiple systems and several network connections at the same time, which is referred to as Botnet.
What are Botnets?
Botnets are defined as the attackers construct a network of hacked technology; they spread by a piece of code through social media, websites, and emails. Attackers can control the system remotely, without the end users knowledge once these systems get infected and frequently they used to commence an attack on the infected computers against any intention.
There are few symptoms to track whether your computer is get infected by DDos,
- Constantly loss of internet connection.
- A website which was available before unexpectedly becomes unavailable.
- Incapable of right to use any website.
- Corrupted network performance.
- Unable to use internet services for a lengthy time period.
Purpose of a DDoS Attack
The purpose of the DDoS attack primarily includes politics, competitions, revenge, war, and criminal activities.
How does it work?
- The DDoS attack has in need of an attacker to get the power of a network of online systems in a process to carry out an attack. Once the systems or other machines get infected with malware each one reflects into a bot, then the attacker can easily get access over the computers through remote controls.
- If the botnet has established, the attacker can able to have complete access to the computers by transferring well-run instructions to each and every bot through the remote controls. Once the IP address of the end user is tracked or targeted by the botnet, each and every bot will start to work on it to respond by transferring request to the targeted machines, and probably origin the server or network resultant in a DoS to normal traffic, and to make overflow capacity.
How can DDoS Attack happen?
- DDos is a form of a cyber attack that has intense critical systems to interrupt network connectivity or service so that it creates a denial of service for users of the specified resource.
- DDoS attacks make use of the power of numerous malware-affected systems to achieve a single system.
The Motive behind a DDoS Attack
- The DDoS attack is used to flood out the network resources so that the end user cannot get access to the necessary information and also it makes the performance of the application very slow.
- The DDoS attacks can control or take down the website of all sizes commencing from large enterprises to small units for more susceptible sites.
- The progress for the attacks differs from pure financial gain to politics.
- The motive behind the DDoS attacks is which can be sold out, so the consumer possibly will ask for an assured website to taken offline and also make payment for its execution. In this case, revenge is often a motive.
- On the other hand, if the attackers require money they might also want to blackmail a website for their required money and also keep their website slow down or suddenly becomes unavailable for long period till their required payment.
- In conclusion, a trendy approach used to control political events and obstruct others a political memo is to thrash and take down websites with unusual views. The activity like this is becoming a progressively more smart way of using DDoS attacks to deal with the media.
What to do after a DDoS Attack
After the DDoS attack process we can find out our system behaviors like slow responses, there will be no access to the website and loss of internet access likewise we will face such cases. If we facing such issues to follow few things,
4.5 (1,924 ratings)
- To make a call to ISP (Internet Service Provider) and let them know that you have attacked by DDoS.
- If you can able to control your website, keep it in safeguarding mode to avoid any loss of data and report to the management team about the concern.
- Call the third –party to inform them about you are under attack which may dependable for security management or service delivery.
- To get as much as information achievable
- To get track of server logs, with the time of events
- To monitor all the occurrence of the system and be attentive that any changes might happen on your system during or after the DDoS attack.
- To showcase the traffic throughputs, traffic statistics.
- To check backend databases and all critical systems and to make a note on any changes that might occur on the system.
- To look out the issues that take place in temporary sites
To employ professional guidance to help ease the issues and execute a flexible solution that will help to reduce any DDoS occurrences. To retain a risk register and renew any tragedy improvement plan to comprise a DDoS endurance plan. To avoid the DDoS attacks, have in contact with DDoS prevention experts.
How to prevent it
The DDoS prevention are followed,
- Attack Prevention and Preemption (before the attack)
- Attack Detection and Filtering (during the attack)
- Traceback and Identification (during and after the attack)
1. In Attack Prevention and Preemption (before the attack) we have to protect the host from agent implants and master by using scanning measures and signatures to identify them. To monitor the network traffic for recognized attack information’s sent between masters and attackers.
2. In Attack Source Trackback and Identification(during and after the attack) to locate the precise source of a packet without relying on source point. The noticed information can be recorded by the routers, and also routers can send the message about the seen packets to their target place.
3. In Attack Detection and Filtering (during the attack) in the Attack Detection, we can identify the attacked DDoS packets and in packet Attack Filtering to categorize those packets and reducing them.
A DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack uses network vulnerability which makes persistently loss of network connection, slow down the system performances, creates more traffic on the internet which results in unable to use internet service for a long period of time. This practice is favorable for the trespasser those who wish for the valid user to cooperate with the safety measures of his essential and sensitive information. Once the system gets attacked by DDoS it might not be found easily and its prevention is also not the easiest one. The only way to get relieved from this is to determine whether any injuries caused by it and to take action to recover it.
This has been a guide to What is DDoS Attack. Here we discussed the Introduction, how it works, Purpose, and Motive of DDoS. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –