What is Web Application?
In today’s world, the usage of web applications growing day by day. The professionals of software area like Software Developer and Software Testers need to have familiar with Web Applications.
It is a client-server application program, stored on a remote server that uses web browsers and web technology to perform specific function over the Internet through a browser interface.
As said above, It is a client-server application program, therefore in the client-server environment, multiple computers can share information like saving the information into a database. The “client” can be used to enter the information, and the ‘server’ is used as storage for the information.
In simple words, you can define it as a computer program that performs some specific tasks at its client by using a web browser. The web-based applications are also known as web apps.
Examples for common, It includes webmail such as Gmail, Yahoo and AOL, online retail sales, online forms, shopping carts, word processors, spreadsheets, video, and photo editing, file conversion, file scanning, Google Apps such as Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, online storage and more.
There are six different types of web applications:
- Online Store or E-Commerce
- Portal Web Apps
- Content Management System
Understanding Web Applications
To understand the concept of a web application, you need a web server to handle the user requests, an application server to perform the required tasks and, a database to store the information.
The below points to explain this process briefly:
- A user sends a request to the web server through the Internet, which uses either a web browser or an application’s user interface.
- Next, the Web server sends the user request to the appropriate web application server.
- The server performs a specified function such as querying the database or processing the requested data.
- The server forwards the user data to the web server with the requested information.
- In the end, the Web server displays the requested information of a user on the screen.
How does Web Applications make working so easy?
It makes working very easily based on client-server architecture. Here, the client is used to enter the information and the server is used to store and retrieve the information. It interacts with applications, middleware systems, and databases to work with multiple applications together. The server accepts the request of a user which has sent over the browser. After this, the browser executes those files and displays the requested page to the user. Now, the user can interact with the website.
What can you do with Web Applications?
The best example for a web application is web email, where Google’s Gmail and Microsoft’s Outlook provides web-based email clients.
You can do some following things :
- You can display the reports in graphical format.
- To get information on the product online.
- Workers can get information related to tasks through mobile devices.
- This application allows remote workers to complete the job within the specified time.
- Customers can easily track the orders and budgets of Goods.
The below-listed points describe working with the web application process:
- Initially, the client will request to HTTP server through HTTP.
- Next, the web server will send a message to the static data store with the help of static data request.
- The web server responds to a static data store and moves to an application server by using the servlet request that includes web container and other services.
- Then servlet request extracts information from the application data store and responds to a web server.
- In the end, the web server gives a response to the user by using HTTP Response.
Following are the advantages:
- It runs on different types of platforms.
- Data is secure and easy to take Backup.
- You can easily update the application.
- You can easily use low specifications of PC’s or smartphones.
- It eliminates compatibility issues as a user can access the same version.
- With the help of SaaS, they reduce software piracy in subscription-based web applications.
- With a web application, employees can work from anywhere by using internet access.
Following are the essential skills needed for developing a web application:
- Handle storage and retrieve the information by using server-side scripts such as PHP, ASP.Net, and Ruby.
- WordPress and SEO
- Responsive design skills
- Development tools like IDEs, editors (Visual Studio, Eclipse)
- Web servers (Apache, IIS)
Why should we use or why do we need Web Applications?
You should use or need it for delivering the business benefits to the customers. The below points specifies why we use or need web applications in the software area:
- You can easily create a responsive design of web applications for better user experience.
- The storage of the web application can be increased as there is a facility of cloud storage.
- It reduces business costs as there is less maintenance for business and low requirements for the end user’s system.
- There is no need for any installation because all systems will have a browser; thus eliminates space limitations.
- It enhances the customer’s product and services by collecting existing customer feedback.
- Using web applications, you contact anybody and anywhere in the world.
The scope of this includes improvement of customer’s productivity and efficiency. It uses fewer business costs and allows to access business information anywhere in the world. It saves time and money as well as connectivity between consumers and business partners.
Who is the right audience for learning Web Applications technologies?
These technologies have a large target audience as it uses both web browsers and web technology to perform some functionality over the internet. It’s mainly used by business persons, retail salespersons, wikis developers, messaging service developers and many more.
How this technology will help you in career growth?
This technology provides good career growth. To get a master in this field, it requires more practice on a daily basis and needs more flexible with all web trends. This technology is the fastest growing industry in today’s world, so you need to learn new technologies and should have to be more dynamic.
So far, we have studied about web applications work, how they will help customers in the present industry, the advantages of using it and many more. It provides the ability to increase the efficiency of business with reducing costs. Common applications such as Gmail, Yahoo, and AOL, online retail sales, online forms, shopping carts, word processors, spreadsheets, video and photo editing, etc have an advantage of working across multiple platforms and easily accessible from anywhere.
This has been a guide to What is web applications?. Here we discussed the Understanding, Scope, Career growth, Skills, and Advantages of the web applications. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –