Introduction to What is Data Breach?
In this topic, we are going to learn about What is Data Breach. Internet, digital communication, digitization, data sharing are some of the keywords which we come across regularly or rather say on a daily basis. With an increase in demand for data sharing over the network, there is an increase in the rate of the incident against data misuse. Our data is private to us and it has the right to privacy, however, there is an increase in the report of such complaints in which unauthorized person tries to access someone’s private data.
All these scenarios, lead to originate a term know as “Data Breach”. We will like to discuss in detail about the data breach, its definition, and many more.
What is Data Breach?
Data Breach is an act or process in which some unauthorized person or resource tries to access someone’s else data without concerned of the latter.
It is simply a security incident in which data is accessed using unauthorized means. There may be different intuitions for accessing such data without authorization.
Now, we already know a bit about the data breach. Before discussing further we would like to highlight a bit about its definition.
According to the Wikipedia, It is defined as “A data breach is a security incident in which sensitive, protected or confidential data is copied, transmitted, viewed, stolen or used by an individual unauthorized to do so.” Data breaches may involve financial information such as credit card or bank details or may be other forms of sensitive data.
4.5 (2,611 ratings)
To summarize about definition, it is accessing unauthorized data without concern of the data owner or to whom does data originally belongs to directly or indirectly.
Now, let us move to our new topic, which is:
Understanding Data Breach
It is now well known to our readers about the data breach. Also, we gave a hint about why it is actually done. The basic intention behind data breach is to get through applied securities and access intellectual, private data of an organization or a group of people. The intention may vary differently such as for research purpose, for fraud or others also.
Now, It is not a simple concept. It is a complex process which involves lots of phases, These phases may be divided into different sections as per the attack carried out under each phase. These phases may include the research part, analysis part, attacking part, misuse of data and others. This paragraph takes us to the new section. Let us discuss it in brief.
Well to be broadly classified, there can be four different phases of a data breach which are:
- Network/Social attack.
Let’s discuss in details one by one:
- Research – This is basically finding the loophole in the system. The intruder tries to find any loophole or weakness into the system using which it can attack a particular set of data. The next phase which follows is Attack
- Attack – In this phase, the intruder or cyber attacker tries to make initial contact either through a network or through a social attack. This is one of the most important phases as intruder sometimes also tries to make friendly contact so that the victim does not get any doubt about the possibility of a data breach.
- Network/Social attack – This could be further divided into two attacks named as Network attack and the other as a Social attack. Let’s discuss each of them one by one. Lets first discuss Network attack.
- Network Attack – A network attack occurs when an intruder tries to enter institution, network, system or organization using some organizational weaknesses. The intruder tries to infiltrate an organization’s network.
- Social Attack – Social attack includes tricking people either by getting their trust directly or indirectly for giving access to the organization network. A victim can be duped to pass sensitive information like credentials or other important data.
Now let us discuss Ex-Filtration.
- Ex-Filtration – Once the intruder gets access to the organization network, then intruder reaches easily to sensitive data which is highly confidential to misuse it. The intruder can use this sensitive data in any way it wants to access it.
Now our next topic aligned is:
Why does Data Breach Occur?
Well, I think it’s self-explanatory and there are many reasons to discuss why does data breach actually happen? Well, there could be not one but many reasons why this data breach happens. It could be for research purpose, for data misuse, for online fraud or maybe an endless number of reasons.
What Happens in a Data Breach?
A data breach generally follows one common process which is, intruder examining the network, find the loophole in the system, and finally tries to exploit it with either a network or social attack. Once an intruder is inside the organization he could access sensitive data without any supervision.
How to Prevent a Data Breach?
Few of the common ways to prevent a data breach is as follows:
- Keeping only relevant data on the network.
- Safeguarding data.
- Dispose of unused data.
- Review and update the process regularly.
- Educate users.
- Keep the password protected.
- Use licensed software.
- Use updated software.
- Avoid using the public network.
& many more…
Next, we will discuss what if data breached has happened.
What to Do After a Data Breach?
Well, once it has happened we need to go through following steps to minimize the effect. One should do the following things:
- Evaluate which data is stolen.
- Update all passwords with more secure passwords.
- Inform relevant institutions.
- Update software’s with latest updates.
A common example that most of the people have come across is that an intruder calls the random person and represents himself as a bank employee. The intruder generally tries to win the trust of the victim and then asks for sensitive information like credit card number, CVV number, etc
With increasing our necessity on the internet, data sharing there is a vulnerability of data breach. An intruder tries to exploit loopholes in the system so as to misuse the data. There could be a different mechanism which could be followed to minimize the chances of the data breach.
We can deploy best practices so as to minimize data breaches and loss of data.
This has been a guide to What is Data Breach. Here we discuss the Concepts, example and Different Phases of Data Breach. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –