Introduction to Bootstrap
What is Bootstrap?
Bootstrap is currently the most popular front end framework which was created by the developers at Twitter. The main purpose of this utility was to build a tool that helps in the development of website-related applications fast, easy, convenient and more responsive. It also made sure that the consistency of the code and the code quality is also not compromised. It also became easier to maintain a framework whose further development was very easy. To understand how Bootstrap works we would be required to understand the modular structure and the important components.
1. CSS files
It consists of global settings and is used to define, by making use of multiple complementary classes, the look of the prominent HTML items such as lists, texts, tables, form elements, and images.
Besides CSS files several classes are also contained which allow the creation of responsive layouts and formats in a quicker way. Also, it allows the creation of many handy classes. There are several components which can be frequently seen to be used on today’s websites and other components. The components like these include expansion of elements, button and advanced features such as grouping, pagination and navigation menu, progress. s bars or messages.
2. JS files
3. By making use of online tools, the user gets the choice of manipulating and adjusting the frameworks as per his own needs, without having the need to interact with the source code. In this case, it is possible to pick a selected Jquery or CSS plugins which are supposed to be used which further optimizes the weight of the output Bootstrap files. Modifying the current bootstrap settings which refer to color, size, and type of fonts, breakpoints, spacing, and margins. This is a good facility especially for the less experienced developers and the amount of changes done in this way is very large
How does Bootstrap make working so easy?
Bootstrap is a web framework which focuses on simplifying informative web page development, like those of web apps. The primary purpose of why it was added to the Bootstrap was because of the choices of size, color, font and layout of the project that it provides. The primary factor is whether the developers will like those choices and would it be easy and interesting enough for them to incorporate it into their projects.
Once these are added, they provide a basic style definition for the HTML elements. The end result is the appearance of tables, prose and form elements across web browsers. Developers also have the added advantage of the CSS classes which are provided and defined in Bootstrap so that the appearance of the contents is further customized. There are some other features such as tables color of light and dark shades, pull quotes, page headings, and texts with highlights which makes working with bootstrap so easy.
Top Bootstrap companies
There are many companies, especially the small scale, startup kind of companies which have risen way too much in the past couple of years. Let’s have a look at some of them.
1. GoPro: A company by Nick Woodman which was originally called as Woodman Labs till 2002. After a span of two years the company was made public at an estimated valuation of $3 billion.
2. Spanx: The company completely owned by Sara Blakely with an estimated valuation of $400 million in 2016 sales and that too without any foreign investment.
3. Craigslist: A million-page viewing per month website was started by Craig Newmark. He got involved in some legal procedures in between but still, he managed to top $690 million in revenue.
4. Tough Mudder: Two people, Livingstone and Will Dean were behind the creation of this company. This New York-based company has generated close to $100 million in revenue only through registration fees and sponsorships. Even today, they are not backed by any kind of outside investment.
5. GitHub: It is a software development platform which is used to share the pieces of code and other softwares or works among the members. Earlier it was just created with an initial investment of a few thousand dollars but it sooner or later came into profit the moment they started to charge for the subscriptions. This company was funded and per 2015 is available at a valuation of $2 billion.
6. Kayako: Kayako is a help desk software and a customer service solution SaaS solution which was developed by Varun Shoor from Jalandhar, India. This company has not taken any external investment and is known for its loyalty to its customers and making businesses more productive. It currently serves a base to 131000 customers.
The various subsets of Bootstrap
The subsets of bootstrap includes using jquery plugins, less variables, colors, Scaffolding, iconography, typography, tables, components, forms, buttons, breakpoints, dropdowns, container sizes, grid systems, tabs, pills, navigation bars, Paginations, files, jumbotron, alerts, tooltips, popovers, labels, models, progress bars, panels, list groups, wells, batches, thumbnails, carousel, breadcrumbs, code, close and type.
What can you do with Bootstrap?
Some common uses of bootstrap are:
Layout creation as its responsive CSS adjusts to tablets, phones, and desktops with modern first styles primarily being part of this framework. It is also compatible with maximum modern browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, and Safari.
The support community is very huge so chatting among a league of developers at IRC, Blog, and Expo to having a look at other people’s findings are some of the activities that can be done.
The basic template and a pack of different templates make the task of creating a layout in less than an hour.
Working with Bootstrap
It is always a thrilling experience when you start to work with Bootstrap as this framework not only provides you with an easier, faster development of a website but also provides you a wide variety of layouts to choose from.
Knowing HTML and CSS is not a mandate for bootstrap. It’s always a plus if you belong from the backend developer community and require some UI level changes to be done.
The components are adopted and implemented in a good way in the ecosystem of many other popular JS MVC Frameworks such as Angular.
Advantages of Bootstrap
- The framework comes along with predefined terms thereby giving you the flexibility to make use of these codes instead of creating all the code from scratch.
- You do not need to tweak your code, so it could look same on all browsers. Bootstrap has this sorted for you by providing cross-browser functionality.
- You do not need to adjust with the UI design of the page. Bootstrapping handles it on its own.
- Synergy is maintained on all websites and on all the web pages as the framework is smart enough to remember everything which you did on every page.
- Some backend developer experience is an add on.
- You should have an understanding of MVC backed framework.
- Basic level of web app and designing.
- Any other library is an add on such as Jquery, etc.
Why should we use Bootstrap?
Bootstrap is a responsive, faster, web designing framework which is known for its simplicity, convenience, easy to use methods, large templates, and amazing web designs.
We should use it because of:
- Development speed
- Customizable Bootstrap
- Easier to use and develop
- Simple integration
- Pre-styled components
Why do we need Bootstrap?
The HTML and CSS backed design templates are available in this framework which helps in designing the websites in a much more easier and a faster way. These templates are used for typography, buttons, tables, forms, models, navigation, image carousels, etc. Its responsive CSS adjusts to tablets, phones, and desktops. As a front end developer, knowledge of bootstrap will be very helpful in all walks of development. It can make your UI experience amazing.
Who is the right audience for learning these technologies?
How this technology will help you in career growth?
It will provide you the skillset much suited and needed to the web developers and especially those who have been dealing with front end designing and creating web-based UI. The knowledge of this technology will open a plethora of options for you to apply for all the jobs which have been asking for front end web technology related profiles.
This technology is classic and has made the life of developers much sorted than it used to be before. With every newer version there comes an additional set of requirements and bug fixes and feature addition which is only enhancing the way this is used today and providing a better experience and a vaster development community with every passing day.
This technology is definitely worth learning and should be implemented by each individual slightly interested in this domain. It is also a go for technology in terms of ease of implementation, ease of use, job openings, superb community, and varied documentation. The success of any framework is also gauged by the team working on it and the firm it is being utilized for. And bootstrap is an ideal fit for both these cases. Go ahead, try and get back to us with your comments and suggestions.
This has been a guide to What is Bootstrap. Here we discuss the working, skills, scope, career growth, and advantages of Bootstrap. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –