Updated June 9, 2023
Introduction to Virtual Private Cloud
The configurable pool on-demand in shared computing resources inside the public cloud setup is called a virtual private cloud. Different organizations’ resources are isolated from one another using a virtual private cloud. It is economical to use VPC by the customers since it resides within the public cloud. The advantages of public cloud and private cloud could be used simultaneously. Also, VPC integrates well with other VPCs and other clouds as well. A networking connection is offered between two or more VPCs using different IP addresses. Remote networks are connected in VPC using a virtual private network.
Use Cases of Virtual Private Cloud
Here are some of the use cases of virtual private cloud you should know:
- Single Public Subnet: It is used to run a simple process.
- Public and Private Subnet: It created VPC which runs in the public-facing web page but in the backend, it cannot be accessed publicly.
- Public and Private Subnet and AWS Site to Site VPN Access: By creating VPC, it is used to extend and provide direct internet access to your data centers.
- Private Subnet and AWS Site to Site VPN Access: By creating VPC, it is used to extend the data center and leverage amazon infrastructure without exposing it to your network to internet gateways.
Top 3 use cases for Virtual private cloud on-demand are listed below:
- Extending the capacity of the data center with time-sensitive marketing applications. It can meet seasonal fluctuations in demand with the criteria of elastic pay as you go compute policy. The purchase resources should be with accurate specifications in a ratio of CPU, Storage, and Memory. It dynamically restructures the infrastructure in case of any decommissioning or alterations made before wasting the money.
- Acceleration of Development or Testing to the user products to beat the heavy competition on consumer demand. The user has to give access to a virtual private cloud to all the team members. Repeat the test environment in the cloud to meet the production standard on the onboard environment.
- Test-drive cloud has limited risk to endorse it into a major commitment. It is based on pay per usage without signing any contracts.
How to Create a Virtual Private Cloud?
In order to create a VPC, one can make use of the Amazon VPC wizard available in the Amazon VPC console. There, you can create a VPC with a/16 IPv4 CIDR block. That is a network containing 65,536 IP addresses that are private and it also attaches an internet gateway with the created VPC. Then we can create a subnet within the size range of 256 private IP addresses. The next thing is to customize your route table which can be assigned to the subnet which in turn can control the traffic between the internet gateway and the subnet. Any info regarding VPC can be obtained by following the below steps:
Step 1: Log in to the Amazon VPC console.
Step 2: The navigation panel, in your VPC console, has the VPC Name and VPC ID. Make a note of it.
Step 3: The subnet option in the Navigation panel displays the name and the corresponding date in which it was created. It also displays to which VPC it belongs. The way in which the attachment is made with the subnet is displayed under the column for Internet Gateways.
Step 4: The navigation panel also contains the routing table. It has two rows in it.
Step 5: Row one is the default and local route way and apparently, it cannot be changed. Communication between VPC and Instances takes place with this only.
Step 6: The route between the subnet and the internet gateway is displayed in the second row. The Amazon VPC wizard is connected here, to make sure that the traffic flow is made to the IP address.
Here are some points you should know after following the steps:
- Our own version of either IPv4 or IPv6 can be created as per our reliability needs.
- A bridge between VPC and SAAS or even your onsite Infrastructure is much easier.
- Information about traffic can be obtained and logged by enabling VPC security groups and VPC flow.
- DynamoDB, S3, EC2 system manager, service catalog, ELB API, EC2 API, and Amazon SNS are many of the services offered.
- The resources can be brought up or down as per the needs and so as to maintain constant reliability and scalability.
- Managed services are of Higher levels.
- The security options that are provided are much advanced and the data stored is well secured since all the inbound and outbound data are filtered with security groups and also the network access list.
- The operating cost is very low as you pay for only what you make use of.
- The GUI is simple which makes it much user-friendly.
How Virtual Private Cloud Works?
In the virtual private cloud model, the isolation of customer data is managed by public infrastructure as a service. The data transition is made inside the cloud provider’s network. But it is implemented with strong security policies such as encryption tunneling and allocation of private internet protocol addresses to the individual customer. The user of a Virtual Private cloud can directly control network components such as subnets, IP addresses, network gateways, and access policies.
Here are some of the important benefits of virtual private cloud which are given below:
- The VPC needs the utility of resources on a large scale without any human interference with each cloud service provider. The servers are accessible at the correct time without any time delay. It dividends the resources efficiently among the users and work rapidly with increased scalability
- The sharing of multiple resources is done possibly by VPC. It is achieved by distributed computing, varied clients from multiple regions share the unit resources by essential infrastructure.
- Application Programming Interface is issued to clients to utilize the resources and services and pay on the service basis
- Virtual private cloud computing offers the required services and applications to the client. With the login key, they can start to use without any human interaction and cloud service providers. It includes storage and virtual machines
This is a guide to Virtual Private Cloud. Here we discuss the introduction, how to create a virtual private cloud along with the working, use cases, and its benefits. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –