Introduction to VB.NET Interview Questions and Answers
Visual Basic (VB.NET) is an object-oriented computer programming language implemented on the .NET Framework. VB.NET is used to develop Windows applications, Web applications, Web services. It is an evolution of classic Visual Basic language, it is not backward-compatible with VB6, and any code written in the old version does not compile under VB.NET. VB.NET has complete support for object-oriented concepts. It is also possible to run VB.NET programs on Mono, the open-source alternative to .NET, not only under Windows but even Linux or Mac OSX.
What is VB.NET?
- Everything in VB.NET is an object, including all of the primitive types (Short, Integer, Long, Boolean, String, etc.) and user-defined types, events, and even assemblies. All objects inherit from the base class Object. VB.NET is Developed by Microsoft’s .NET framework.it has full access to all the libraries in the.Net Framework.
- The .Net framework applications are multi-platform applications. The framework has been designed in such a way that it can be used from any of the following languages: Visual Basic, C#, C++, JScript, and COBOL, etc.
- All these languages can access the framework as well as communicate with each other. The .Net framework consists of an enormous library of codes used by client languages like VB.Net. These languages use object-oriented methodology.
Components and Advantages of VB.Net
Following are some of the components and advantages of a the.Net framework:
- Common Language Runtime (CLR)
- Common Language Specification
- The .Net Framework Class Library
- Metadata and Assemblies
- Common Type System
- Windows Forms
- Net and ASP.Net AJAX
- Windows Workflow Foundation (WF)
- Windows Presentation Foundation
- Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)
Integrated Development Environment (IDE) For VB.Net
Microsoft provides the following development tools for VB.Net programming:
- Visual Basic 2010 Express (VBE)
- Visual Web Developer
- Visual Studio 2010 (VS)
- It is Modern and general-purpose language.
- It is an object-oriented language.
- It is very easy to learn for a beginner.
- VB.NET is a structure language.
- It can be compiled on a variety of platforms.
- It supports Conditional Compilation.
- It has Automatic Garbage Collection, Standard Library.
- It supports Properties and Events.
- It supports Delegates and Events Management.
- It supports Generics, Indexers, and Simple Multithreading.
So you have finally found your dream job in VB.NET but are wondering how to crack the VB.NET Interview and what could be the probable VB.NET Interview Questions. Every interview is different and the scope of a job is different too. Keeping this in mind we have designed the most common 2023 VB.NET Interview Questions and answers to help you get success in your interview.
Below is the list of Top VB.NET Interview Questions that are asked in an interview. These top questions are divided into two parts which are as follows:
Part 1 – VB.NET Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic VB.NET Interview Questions and Answers
1. What is the difference between C#, VB, and VB.Net?
- Differences between C# and VB.Net:
In VB.Net Optional Parameters are accepted, not case sensitive, nothing is used to release unmanaged resources, support of both structured and unstructured error handling.
In C# Optional Parameters are not accepted, case sensitive, ‘Using’ is used to release unmanaged resources, unstructured error handling.
- Differences between VB and VB.Net:
VB is platform dependent, backward compatible, exception Handling by ‘On Error…..Goto’, Interpreted, Cannot develop multi-threaded applications.
VB.Net is Platform Independent, VB.Net is not backward compatible, Compiler Language, Exception Handling by ‘Try….Catch’, multi-thread applications can easily be developed.
2. Explain Metadata, namespace, which namespace is used for accessing the data, What is JIT?
Metadata is termed as “Data about the content of the data” and it is found in the catalog of libraries. Practically, it is used to analyzed data of database can be used for some other purpose also.
A namespace is an organized way of representing Class, Structures, and interfaces present in the .NET language. Namespaces are a hierarchically structured index of a class library, available to all .NET Languages.
It stands for Just in Time compiler which is used as a part of the runtime execution environment. There are three types of JIT and they are:
- Normal JIT – Compiles called methods at runtime and they get compiled the first time when called.
- Pre-JIT – Compiles at the time of deployment of an application.
- Econo-JIT – Compiles called methods at runtime.
Let us move to the next VB.NET Interview Questions.
3. What is an assembly, its type, its use and what is a strong name in .NET assembly?
An assembly is one of the elements of a .NET application and is termed as a primary unit of all .NET applications. This assembly can be either a DLL or an executable file.
There are two types of assembly:-
- Private: A private assembly is normally used by a single application and it is stored in the application’s directory.
- Public: A public assembly or shared assembly is stored in Global Assembly Cache which can be shared by many applications.
Strong Name is an important feature of.Net and it is used to identify shared assembly uniquely.
Strong Name has solved the problem of creating a different object with the same name and it can be assigned with the help of Sn.exe. This is the most common VB.NET Interview Questions which is asked in an interview.
4. What are Option Strict, Option Explicit, and INTERNAL keyword in.Net Framework?
.Net generally allows implicit conversion of any data types. In order to avoid data loss during data type conversion,
option strict keyword is used and it ensures compile-time notification of these types of conversions.
Option Explicit is the keyword used in a file to explicitly declare all variables using declare keywords like Public, Dim, Private, or Protected.
If an undeclared variable name persists, an error occurs at compile time.
INTERNAL keyword is one of the access specifiers which will be visible in a given assembly
In a DLL file. This forms a single binary component and it is visible throughout the assembly.
5. New Keyword in.Net Framework?
A new keyword is used with the constructor in which it can be used as a modifier or an operator.
When it is used as a modifier, it hides inherited member from the base class member. When it is used as an operator, it creates an object to invoke constructors.
Part 2 – VB.NET Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced Interview Questions.
6. Explain jagged array in VB.Net?
The jagged array is an array of arrays. Each entry in the array is another array that can hold any number of items. This is the frequently asked VB.NET Interview Questions in an interview.
7. What is Garbage Collection in VB.net?
Garbage collection is also known as automatic memory management, which is used for automatic recycling of dynamically allocated memory. Garbage collection is performed by a Garbage collector which will recycle memory if it is sure that memory will be unused.
8. Difference between System.String and System.StringBuilder classes?
System.string class is non-updatable and it will create a new string object instead of updating the same.
But updating in the same string object is possible for the StringBuilder class. So, the operation of a string builder is faster and efficient than the string class.
Let us move to the next VB.NET Interview Questions.
9. Difference between int and int32?
Int32 represents 32-bit signed integer whereas it is not a keyword used in VB.Net.
10. What is Hashtable?
Hashtable is set to be items with key and value pairs. Keys are referred to as indexes and a quick search can be performed for values by searching through the keys.
This has been a guide to List Of VB.NET Interview Questions. Here we have discussed top 10 VB.NET interview questions with detailed answers that are most often asked in interviews. You may also look at the following SEO articles to learn more –
- Best Choice For Computer Programming Language
- Linux Interview Questions
- Windows Interview Questions | Most Useful
- jQuery Interview Questions
- iOS Interview Questions | Top and Most Asked