Introduction Windows Interview Questions and Answers
A window is a viewing place on a screen in a computer system which allows multiple viewing as a part of GUI (Graphical User Interface).
Basically, a window is a series of OS (Operating Systems) developed, marketed, and sold by IT giant company Microsoft. It releases many versions eventually; each release of Windows version must include an improved support of graphical user interface that allows correspondent users to view files and folders in windows easily.
An IT giant Microsoft introduced operating environment known as Windows on 20th November in the year 1985, as a graphical operating system shell for MS-DOS since, by observing growing lot of interest in graphical user interfaces (GUIs).
The first version of Windows released in 1985, which was a just simple graphical user interface provided an extension of Microsoft’s existing disk OS (operating system) or MS-DOS. Before Windows introduction to the market, computer systems were using a series of text commands which used for operations.
Windows is growing and most used operating systems for personal computer systems from the past two decades. The beauty of Microsoft Windows is that it is designed for both personal and professional purposes, which makes more convenient for users.
Below are some of the windows’ key benefits and features:
- Windows allows its user to interact with the system (using a keyboard, mouse, microphone, etc.).
- It controls memory allocation, data storage in a computer system.
- It controls hardware’s incorporated into the computer system such as scanners and printers, etc.
- Windows control computer access to users for computer’s security.
An important feature is that it allows multitasking for the user to do several tasks on the computer at once
Preparing for a job interview in Windows. I am sure you want to know the most common Windows Interview Questions and answers that will help you crack the Windows Interview with ease. Below is the list of top Windows Interview Questions and answers at your rescue which is divided into two parts are as follows:
Part 1 – Windows Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic Windows Interview Questions and answers
1. Explain the main purpose of an operating system?
Operating systems built mainly for two purposes:
- OS is designed to make sure a computer system performs well by managing all its activities.
- Operating systems provide an environment for the development of code and execution of programs as well.
2. What Is the Purpose of Microsoft Windows?
- Microsoft Windows is one of the big giants in the market, which provides services as a core of most of desktop and laptop computer systems, with more than 90 percent of running version of windows operating system.
- Windows provides a platform for all programs to run on it. Microsoft has started and ruled the market over the last three decades, it always adds more features to improvise user interfaces for easier to use.
3. What are the functions of an operating system?
Microsoft Windows is a computer operating system in which the programming code is not available to the public.
Operating System (OS) is one of the core software code/programs that run on the computer hardware which makes and helps a user to interact with hardware, and then it can send commands (input) and receive results with respect to inputs provided as output. Its function is to provide a consistent environment for all the software to execute
Let us move to the next Windows Interview Questions.
4. What is Windows Server?
Window server is defined as a series of server operating system and it is developed by Microsoft Corporation. This is the common Windows Interview Questions asked in a windows Interview.
5. Explain In windows DNS server what is Primary, Secondary and Stub zone?
DNS (Domain Name System) Server is a system which makes the process of name resolution in DNS. DNS Servers consists of files known as zone files, it makes and enables them to resolve names to IP addresses and vice versa.
- Primary Zone: In this area, a file will be saved as a normal text file with extension as “.dns”
- Secondary Zone: In this zone, it keeps and maintains a read-only copy data of zone database in another supported DNS server. And also, it provides a backup server to the primary server by supporting fault tolerance and load balancing.
- Stub Zone: This Stub zone consists of a copy of all name servers and SOA records which are used to reduce the DNS search orders.
Part 2 – Windows Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced Windows Interview Questions.
6. Explain what is the difference between a thread and a computer process?
Answer: There is a lot of difference between a thread and a computer process and some of them are as listed below:
Computer Process: Computer process is an instance of computer programs which will be executed sequentially (as one by one) by a computer system which helps to run several programs in parallel.
Thread: A thread is set of several executable programs that work together as a single process. For instance, one thread will send an error message to the user; another will handle error signals while the third thread might be executing the original action of a program.
7. Explain what is the purpose of deploying local DNS servers?
This is the most popular Windows Interview Questions asked in an interview. A local DNS server provides the fully qualified domain names & local mapping to IP respective addresses. And also to resolve remote requests related to the domains names on a computer network, local DNS servers can provide record information to remote DNS servers.
8. To check TCP/IP configurations and IP connectivity, what are the two command line utilities that can be used?
Ipconfig: ipconfig is the command to check the computer’s IP configuration also it can be used to renew the client’s IP address (only if it is provided by a DHCP server).
Ping: Ping command is used to check the connection between the local computer and any of the other computer devices on the network.
Let us move to the next Windows Interview Questions.
9. Explain what is the major difference between NTFS ( New Technology File System) or FAT (File Allocation Table) on a local server?
FAT (File Allocation Table) and FAT32 provides security to local users of the computer system, meanwhile NTFS ( New Technology File System) provides security for domain users as well as local users. NTFS also provides file-level security which is not possible through FAT32.
10. What is Active Directory?
Active Directory (AD) is a directory, it is developed by Microsoft which is used to store the objects (ex: User information, Computer, printer, Network information), Active directory also provide to manage computer network effectively with multiple Domain Controllers in different location with Active directory databases which are able to manage/change AD from any Domain Controllers and those will be replicated to all other DC’s, centralized Administration with multiple geographical location and authenticates users and computers in a Windows domain.
This has been a guide to List Of Windows Interview Questions and Answers so that the candidate can crackdown these Windows Interview Questions easily. Here in this post, we have studied about top Windows Interview Questions which are often asked in interviews. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –