Updated March 22, 2023
Software Testing Interview Questions and Answer
Software Testing is the process of testing a system and its component(s) with a requirement of the end-users, whether it is working as per the requirement or not. Testers test the system with the end user’s requirements in this process. If the software does not work as per the end user’s requirement, testers raise the bug, which a developer has to fix to meet the end user’s requirement. Thus, it is a process of analyzing a software item to determine the difference between an actual requirement and a developed one.
While looking for a job in the Software Testing field, prepare for the 2023 Software Testing Interview Questions. Every interview is indeed different as per the various job profiles. Here, we have prepared the critical Testing Questions and Answers to help crack your interview. Below are the ten crucial Software Testing Interview Questions and Answers.
Part 1 – Software Testing Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic Interview Questions and Answers.
Q1. Explain Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
Quality Assurance comes in process-oriented activities. It is to prevent defects in the process or methodology used to make Software Applications. Furthermore, it helps to prevent defects after the whole application development. Quality Control comes in product-oriented activities. It executes the script logic to identify the defects and bugs in the Software Application.
Q2. Explain the following terms Audit, Inspection, and Debugging.
- Audit: It is a well-planned systematic process to determine the testing process conducted within an organization. It is independent of the processes involved during software testing in the company. It is a review of documented procedures that helps the company. Types of audits include Internal Audits, Legal Compliance audits, and System audits.
- Inspection: It is a formal evaluation technique in which software requirements codes; examination of designs happens in more detail by a person or a group other than the software developer to detect defects, violations of development standards, or any other problems. It is a way to conduct a formal or informal review s of any developed artifact technically by identifying any defects or gaps.
- Debugging: It helps to find out the root cause of the bug. A software developer performs it. IDE is to serve the debugging where the developer runs the software in debugging mode and goes into code line by line to find out the exact root cause of the bug.
Q3. Explain the white box testing, how many types of white box testing, and the steps of white box testing.
White box test cases were selected based on an analysis of the system’s internal structure and subcomponents, including code coverage, path coverage, condition coverage, branch coverage, etc.
- Decision Coverage
- Statement Coverage
The steps of the white box testing are below:
- Verify the flow of the system and its component’s structure according to the document specification.
- Verify broken paths in the code.
- Check for security holes in the code.
- Verify the expected outputs.
- Testing the conditional loops in the code to ensure the complete working functionality of the software application.
- The testing of software happens line by line to ensure 100% coverage of testing.
Q4. Explain the black box testing. What is the different type of black-box testing that exists in software industries?
This is the most common Software testing question asked in an interview. The functionality of the software application occurs in black-box testing. Black box testing is the software testing methodology in which software happens without knowing the implementation, how the code flows, the internal structure, and the code written for a particular functionality.
The different types of black-box testing techniques are below:
- Equivalence Partitioning
- Cause-effect Graphing
- Boundary Value Analysis
Q5. Explain the differences between static and dynamic testing.
- Static testing: In static testing, code execution does not perform; it happens only by testing documentation.
- Dynamic testing: In dynamic testing, the execution of a code happens to perform the testing.
Part 2 – Software Testing Interview Questions (Advanced)
This part covers advanced Interview Questions and Answers
Q6. What are the tables in the test plans?
The test plan document contains the scope, test design, test strategies, and many other details.
- Test strategy & Test approach
- Test case identifier
- Features to test
- Test deliverables
- Risk and Contingencies
- Staffing and Training
- Features not to test
Q7. What is the difference between System Testing and User Acceptance Testing?
- System Testing: In this type of testing, the software application undergoes from the start stage until the end. It is a way to find the defects when the system undergoes testing, including all the components simultaneously; that’s why it is famous as an end-to-end testing.
- User Acceptance Testing: It involves running an application software by a sequence of specific test cases that determine whether the software will meet its users’ requirements.
Q8. Explain the difference between test cases, test scenarios, and test scripts.
- Test Cases: It is a document of test cases created at an earlier stage of software development that are yet to execute.
- Test Scenarios: Preparation of the test scenarios in an earlier software testing stage. It includes many things like plans for the testing product, environmental conditions, the number of team members making test plans, test cases, and all the features to test for the application.
- Test Script: It is in programming language depending on the requirement, and in simple terms, it is a program that is going to test part of the functionality of the software system or subsystem.
Q9. What is the testing type?
The following of a standard procedure and steps to get the desired test result, which is testing type.
Commonly used testing types are:
- Agile Testing: It is a way of testing by the Agile technique.
- API Testing: Creation of the different testing APIs for the application.
- Unit Testing: It is the testing of a small block of the code of an application.
- Install/ Uninstall Testing: Testing happens from the point of end-users requirements.
- Integration Testing: A tester combines all the Individual small modules to perform the testing.
- System Testing: It is the whole testing of the system.
Q10. Explain the difference between the traceability matrix and the test matrix.
- Traceability Matrix: It is a mapping between customer requirements and test cases.
- Test Matrix: It helps the grape effort, actual quality, resources, plan, and the time required to capture all phases of software application testing.
Software testing is the most critical step in software development. It helps to evaluate the system to ensure the developed software meets the end user’s requirements. And to work in the identical designation, one must have a keen knowledge of the concept as there will always be a unique question from the recruiter’s end.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Q1 What is software testing?
Software testing is a process or method to evaluate the software or an application. This process helps find errors or bugs in the code to ensure that the product works fine and meets the client’s requirements.
Q2 What are the most frequently asked software testing questions in the interview?
A candidate who is yet to start a career in software testing should be able to answer basic questions like the definition of software testing, types, steps involved in the testing process, when to stop the testing process, tools engaged in testing, etc.
Q3 What is meant by a bug in software testing?
A bug is a technical term that means an error or flaw in the software or product developed. This bug leads to cause an interruption in the flow of working of a system.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Software Testing Interview Questions” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.
- Database Testing Interview Questions
- Cloud Computing Interview Questions
- Mobile Testing Interview Questions
- Bitbucket Interview Questions