Updated July 6, 2023
Database Testing Interview Questions and Answers
If you are looking for a job related to Database Testing, you must prepare for the 2023 Database Testing Interview Questions. Though every Database Testing Interview is different and the job scope is also other, we can help you with the top Database Testing Interview Questions and Answers, which will help you take the leap and succeed in your interview. Keeping this in mind, we have designed the most common Database Testing Interview Questions and Answers to help you get success in your interview.
Part 1 – Database Testing Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic Database Testing interview questions and answers
1. What is database testing?
It will Check all object’s schema, trigger, procedure, and function. It Checks data integrity and consistency.
2. What are the different types of testing?
Structural database testing:
It involves the validation of all elements/objects, which is primarily used for data storage. Which are not directly exposed to the end-user? And warranty of the database server, i.e., severe configuration, is also essential to database testing.
Functional database testing:
Functional database testing involves the requirement of specifications for user transactions as input or output.
It involves the null values handle, the column’s length, and the column’s data type. It will also check the derived output tables or columns that should be available. All the field names should follow the standard naming convention per business requirements.
Non-functional database testing:
In this context, multiple testing involves multiple categories like stress testing, security testing, usability testing, and compatibility testing. Stress and load testing are interested in performance testing only.
Let us move to the next Database Testing Interview Questions.
3. What is structural database testing?
This is the frequently asked Database Testing Interview Questions It involves the structure of a database which depends on a schema, tables, procedure, function, trigger, and database server testing.
The main aspects of schema testing are that the exact schema name should be a map between the front and backend. There are some essential checkpoints, as follows.
Validation of Schema format is critical because sometimes a schema’s table format differs from the business requirement or front-end application. It also involves the verification of unmapped tables /views /columns.
It involves table name and column testing. It also involves constraint testing like what is a primary key and foreign key, what are auto identity columns, and what are partitions as per business requirements. In table testing, one crucial thing is an index; one needs to check clustered index or non-clustered index has been created or not.
Procedure and function testing
- The development team did follow the requirements. That involves Coding standards; the proper coding indentation will be easier for other developers to understand, as the appropriate naming convention for variables, removal of unnecessary variables, and comments used by a developer.
- Check whether a developer has built the code as per business requirements.
- What are the parameters for input and output variables?
- Check whether a developer has built the code to Handel all exceptions. Like arithmetic exception, null value Handel exception.
- Check whether the procedure and function are inserting data into tables that should be proper with name, data type, and length, and it should be trimmed.
For this, testing rules are the same as procedure and function testing. Add to this need to check whether the trigger is executing on a specific requirement event.
I need to check the database server configuration. Execution processing capacity, RAM, and storage capacity should be capable of output as per business requirements.
4. What are the different types of joining?
There are 6 type joins as follows:-
- Inner join – Will Match exact column data.
- Left outer join – This will show all the data from the left table, which are matched and unmatched.
- Right outer join – This will show all the data from the right table, which are matched and unmatched.
- Full Outer join– This will show all the data from both tables, which are matched and unmatched.
- Cross join – Will show the product of both tables.
- Union and Union All – We will combine both data.
5. What are the different types of indexes?
There are six types of an index as follow:-
- B-Tree index
- Bitmap index
- Clustered index
- Covering index
- Non-unique index
- Unique index
6. How do you know whether a trigger is fired in database testing?
We need to enable the audit log. Using that, we can see whether the trigger is fired or not.
Part 2 – Database Testing Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced Database Testing Interview Questions.
1. What steps are involved in the Data Loading test in Database testing?
For Data Loading test in Database testing is as follows:
- Compatibility between a source and target data
- I need to check the source and target columns.
- The number of effective rows from source and target.
- We need to check the effect of a target after any changes in the source.
- Need to check Null and garbage values.
1. What SQL command can be used to manipulate data and the table?
To manipulate the data, we can select, insert, update, delete, and table to Create a table, alter a table, and drop a table.
2. How do you test load/stress testing?
Need to check load or stress test by processing an extensive data set in minimum time. It will contain the system response; load testing is done.
Let us move to the following Database Testing Interview Questions.
3. How to test the database manually?
Manually database testing involves checking the data from the backend side when the addition of data has been added, updated, or deleted from the front end side.
4. How many cluster indexes can we create on a single table?
We can create only one cluster index that refers to the primary index on a single table. These are the most asked Database Testing Interview Questions.
5. How to check if several database objects have been created?
- Using object explorer, we can see the database object like schema, table, procedure, function, trigger, index, etc.
- Using sys or master tables, which store all metadata about all database objects.
6. If we have more than 1000 lines of procedure, how will we test, or where was it failing at the time of testing?
We can test for this specific condition using the following approach
- At the time of compilation
- Make proper comments before or after each execution, explaining the process and where we are stuck.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Database Testing Interview Questions” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.