Introduction to Selenium Interview Questions and Answers
Selenium is a popular automation testing tool frequently used by developers for testing web applications. Mostly, selenium Interview Questions tool is popular for browser-based applications not for API testing or unit testing. Selenium is one of the best and most popular automated testing suites in the IT Industry. It is a browser automation tool which lets you automated operations like click, type, and selection from a drop-down of a web page. Selenium Web Driver is a popular testing tool used by big Companies today.
So if you are looking for a job that is related to Selenium, you need to prepare for the 2019 Selenium Interview Questions. Though every interview is different and the scope of a job is also different, we can help you out with the top Selenium Interview Questions and answers, which will help you take the leap and get you success in your interview.
Below are the 10 important 2019 Selenium Interview Questions and answers that are frequently asked in an interview. These questions are divided into two parts are as follows:
Part 1 – Selenium Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic Selenium Interview Questions And Answers.
1. How will you define Selenium?
Selenium is a popular, open-source, a suite of tools for browser automation. It is composed of IDE, a recording and playback mechanism, Web Driver and Remote Control (RC) which provide API for browser automation and GRID. Selenium is a robust test automation suite. It is designed to support and encourage automation testing of functional aspects of web-based applications and a wide range of browsers and platforms.
2. What are the different components of Selenium?
The different components of Selenium are:
- Selenium IDE (Selenium Integrated Development Environment)
- Selenium RC (Selenium Remote Control)
- Selenium Web Driver
- Selenium Grid
3. What is Selenium IDE?
It is one of the simplest frameworks in Selenium Suite. Selenium IDE is a Firefox Plugin. Selenium IDE is a record and playback tool for scripts.
4.5 (2,716 ratings)
Let us move to the next Selenium Interview Questions.
4. What is Selenium RC?
5. What is Selenium Web Driver?
This is the basic Selenium Interview Questions asked in an interview. Selenium Web Driver is a browser automation software framework that accepts commands and again sends them to a browser. Selenium Web Driver directly communicates with the web browser and uses its native compatibility to automate. Selenium Web Driver has more advanced features than that of Selenium RC and Selenium IDE. Selenium Web Driver applies a better approach to automate browser activities. Selenium Web Driver controls the browser by directly communicating with it. Selenium Web Driver supports Java, C#, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby.
6. What is Selenium GRID?
Selenium Grid is a tool used together with Selenium RC to run tests on different machines against different browsers in parallel. With the help of Grid, you can distribute tests on multiple machines so that test can be run parallel which helps in cutting down the time. Selenium Grid is used to distribute your test execution on multiple platforms and environments concurrently. Selenium Grid is running multiple tests at the same time against different machines running different browsers and operating systems.
Part 2 – Selenium Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced Selenium Interview Questions.
7. What are the advantages of Selenium?
The advantages of Selenium are as follows:
- Selenium is a free and open-source.
- Selenium supports distributed testing.
- Selenium supports multiple programming languages.
- Selenium has fresh and regular repository development.
- Selenium supports different OS like Windows, Linux and Mac OS
- Selenium supports Cross-browser and Platform compatibility.
- Selenium supports powerful methods to locate elements.
- Selenium automation scripts creating an ability for non-programmers as well as for programmers.
8. What is Automation Testing and cite its benefits?
This is the advanced Selenium Interview Questions asked in an interview. Automation testing is the process of testing the software using an automation tool to find the defects. Automation testing involves the use of a separate testing tool. The expected results of a test are fed into the tool to be compared with the actual output of the test. Automation testing automates the manual testing process. Tools are going to compare actual outcomes and predicted outcomes based on all preconditions as per scripts.
Benefits of Automation testing are:
- Automated testing enables parallel execution and saves time and money.
- Re-usability of code
- Supports execution of repeated test cases.
- Aids in testing a large test matrix.
- Automated testing generates automatic reports after test execution.
- Automated testing is more reliable.
- Automated testing is more powerful and versatile.
- Automated testing is mostly used for regression testing
9. What are the limitations of Selenium?
The limitations of Selenium are:
- Selenium supports only web-based applications.
- Mobile and Desktop applications cannot be tested using selenium.
- Captcha and Barcode readers cannot be tested using Selenium.
- Selenium does not support the Bitmap comparison.
- You need to be dependent on third-party tools like Testing or jUnit to write test scripts and generate reports.
- Selenium user must know programming language for using selenium.
10. Explain the difference between Selenium 1.0, Selenium 2.0. And Selenium 3.0.
Selenium 1.0 consists of only Selenium RC. Selenium 1.0 was released in early 2004. Selenium 1.0 is popularly known as Selenium Remote Control. It is a library available in a wide variety of languages. The main reason to use Selenium RC was that Selenium IDE was incapable to execute tests in browsers. Selenium 1.0 provided an API set which used a server to exchange commands and responses with the browsers.
Selenium RC and Web Driver are consolidated into a single tool to form Selenium 2.0. It came out in mid-2011. Selenium 2.0 is a tool which is a combination of web testing tools Selenium RC and Web Driver. Selenium 2.0 introduced a set of major enhancements in Selenium functionality. These new APIs completely replaced the server component and interacted natively with the target browsers.
Selenium 3.0. Was released in late 2016. The main change it brought up is the W3C specifications of Web Driver APIs for browser automation. It is based on the philosophy that each major browser would provide its own implementation of Web Driver APIs. Selenium 3.0. The minimum requirement is Java version 8+.
Let us move to the next Selenium Interview Questions.
11. What are the different tests supported by Selenium?
The different tests supported by Selenium are:
- Functional Testing
- Regression Testing
- Cross Browser Testing
- UI Testing
- Integration Testing
- Sanity Testing
- Smoke Testing
- Responsive Testing
12. How many parameters you have to pass in Selenium?
There are four parameters to be passed in Selenium and they are:
- Port Number
This has been a guide to List Of Selenium Interview Questions and answers so that the candidate can crackdown these Selenium Interview Questions easily. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –