Excel Rows to Columns (Table of Contents)
Rows to Columns in Excel
In Microsoft excel we can change the rows to column and column to row vice versa using TRANSPOSE. We can either use Transpose or Transpose function to get the output.
Definition of Transpose
Transpose function normally returns a transposed range of cells which is used to switch the rows to columns and columns to rows vice versa i.e we can convert vertical range of cells to horizontal range of cells or a horizontal range of cells to vertical range of cells in excel.
For example, a horizontal range of cells is returned if a vertical range is entered, or a vertical range of cells is returned if a horizontal range of cells is entered.
How to Convert Rows to Columns in Excel using Transpose?
It is very simple and easy. Let’s understand the working of converting rows to columns in excel by using some examples.
Steps to use transpose:
- Start the cell by selecting and copying an entire range of data.
- Click on the new location.
- Right-click the cell.
- Choose to paste special and we will find the transpose button.
- Click on the 4th option.
- We will get the result converted to rows to columns.
Convert Rows to Columns in Excel – Example #1
Consider the below example where we have a revenue figure for sales month wise. We can see that month data are row-wise and Part number data are column-wise.
Now if we want to convert the rows to the column in excel we can use the transpose function, apply it by following the below steps.
- First, select the entire cells from A To G which has data information.
- Copy the entire data by pressing the Ctrl+ C Key.
- Now select the new cells where exactly you need to have the data.
- Right, click on the new cell and we will get the below option which is shown below.
- Choose the option paste special.
- Select the fourth option in paste special which is called transpose as shown in the below screenshot which is highlighted in yellow color.
- Once we click on transpose we will get the below output as follows.
In the above screenshot, we can see the difference that row has been changed to column and column has been changed to rows in excel. In this way, we can easily convert the given data from row to column and column to row in excel. For the end user, if there is a huge data, this transpose will be very useful and it saves a lot of time instead of typing it and we can avoid duplication.
Convert Rows to Columns in Excel – Example #2
In this example, we will convert rows to the column in excel and see how to use transpose the employee salary data by following the below steps.
Consider the above screenshot which has id number, emp name, HRA, Allowance, and Special Allowance. Suppose we need to convert the data column to rows in these cases TRANSPOSE function will be very useful to convert it which saves time instead of entering the data. We will see how to convert the column to row with the below steps.
- Click on the cell and copy the entire range of data as shown below.
- Once you copy the data, choose the new cell location.
- Right click on the cell.
- We will get the paste special dialogue box.
- Choose Paste Special option.
- Select Transpose option in that as shown below.
- Once you have chosen transpose option the excel row data will be converted to the column as shown in the below result.
In the above screenshot, we can see the difference that row has been converted to columns in this way we can easily use the transpose to convert horizontal to vertical and vertical to horizontal in excel.
In excel there is a built-in function called Transpose Function which converts rows to columns and vice versa this function works the same as transpose. i.e we can convert rows to columns or columns into rows vice versa.
Syntax of Transpose Function:
- Array: The range of cells to transpose.
When a set of an array is transposed, the first row is used as the first column of an array and in the same way, the second row is used as the second column of a new one and the third row is used as the third column of the array.
If we are using transpose function formula as an array then we have CTRL+SHIFT +ENTER to apply it.
Convert Rows to Columns in Excel – Example #3
In this example, we are going to see how to use transpose function with an array with the below example.
Consider the below example which shows sales data week wise where we are going to convert the data to columns to row and row to column vice versa by using the transpose function.
- Click on the new cell.
- Select the row you want to transpose.
- Here we are going to convert the MONTH PLAN to the column.
- We can see that there are 11 rows so in order to use transpose function the rows and columns should be in equal cells if we have 11 rows then transpose function needs the same 11 columns to convert it.
- Choose exactly 11 columns and use the Transpose Formula and select array from C1 to C11, as shown in the below screenshot.
- Now use CTRL+SHIFT +ENTER to apply as an array formula.
- Once we use the CTRL+SHIFT +ENTER we can see the open and close parenthesis in the formulation.
- We will get the output where a row has been changed to the column which is shown below.
- Use the formula for the entire cells so that we will get the exact result.
So the Final Output will be as below.
Things to Remember about Convert Rows to Columns in Excel
- Transpose function is one of the most useful functions in excel where we can rotate the data and the data information will not be changed while converting
- If there are any blank or empty cells, transpose will not work and it will give the result as zero.
- While using array formula in transpose function we cannot delete or edit the cells because all the data are connected with links and excel will throw an error message that “YOU CAN NOT CHANGE PART OF AN ARRAY”
You can download this Convert Rows to Columns Excel Template here – Convert Rows to Columns Excel Template
This has been a guide to Rows to Columns in Excel. Here we discuss how to convert rows to columns in excel using transpose along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. Transpose can help everyone to quickly convert multiple rows to a column in excel easily. You can also go through our other suggested articles –