Introduction to OpenStack Interview Questions and Answers
OpenStack is a free cloud computing software platform that is deployed as Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). It was licensed under Apache License 2.0. It was purely written in Python Programming Language. It was initially released in the year 2010. It supports cross-platform operating systems. It provides virtual servers and resources to the clients or customers in order to utilize the services as IaaS. OpenStack provides free public and private cloud services. OpenStack has different services components available, such as Networking, Computing, Block Storage, Dashboard, different web workflows, databases, messaging, DNS services, upgradation, long-term support services, etc. OpenStack has different cloud services such as Public, Private, on-premises and appliance-based etc.
Now, if you are looking for a job related to OpenStack, you need to prepare for the 2022 OpenStack Interview Questions. Every interview is indeed different as per the different job profiles. Here, we have prepared the important OpenStack Interview Questions and Answers, which will help you succeed in your interview.
In this 2022 OpenStack Interview Questions article, we shall present the 10 most important and frequently asked Openstack Interview questions. These questions are divided into two parts are as follows:
Part 1 – OpenStack Interview Questions (Basic)
This first part covers basic OpenStack Interview Questions and Answers.
Q1. What is OpenStack, and explain its uses?
The OpenStack is the most popular open-source cloud computing platform that provides virtual machine resources and IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) services to most of the customers. It captures the market in the future of cloud computing. All the services provided by the OpenStack can be accessed and managed through the GUI based user interface. The several benefits of the OpenStack Cloud Computing are mentioned below –
- OpenStack boosts the business by eliminating maintenance services.
- Improves agility and high availability.
- Improves Efficiency and provides cloud infrastructure.
- It provides great services for on-demand infrastructure services within no time.
- OpenStack gives the opportunity to build its own data center, which provides more control over the data being managed and controlled.
- OpenStack enables rapid development.
- OpenStack boosts high scalability and effective resource utilization.
Q2. What are the different key components involved in the OpenStack Cloud Computing platform?
The different key components available with the OpenStack Cloud Computing platform are Keystone, Neutron, Nova, Cinder, Horizon, Swift, Heat, Ceilometer and Glance. The different key components involved in the Cloud Computing platform are explained below –
- Keystone – It enables the identity service for all the cloud users and different OpenStack cloud services. It is also a way of providing access to individual cloud users for different services available.
- Neutron – It enables the networking functionality of Virtual Machines. It also Computes nodes and Controller Nodes in its architectural model.
- Nova – It controls the Virtual machine instances at the computing level and performs different computing tasks at the hypervisor level or compute node level.
- Cinder – It enables a block storage facility, which is normally integrated with the Chef and Scale IO to enable the block storage service to the Compute nodes and Controller nodes.
- Horizon – It enables the GUI (Graphical User Interface) service based on the GUI Admin mode and easily performs an entire day-to-day operations task.
- Swift – It enables the object storage functionality, which provides Glance images on the object storage. In contrast, the external storage Scale IO can be made to work as Object storage and integrated with the Glance Services.
- Heat – It enables the orchestration service functionality by using the Heat admin service or functionality and can easily utilize the Virtual Machines as Stack IO as per the requirements in the stack by easily scaling in and Scaling out.
- Ceilometer – It enables billing services and telemetry services.
- Glance – It enables Cloud Image services by utilizing glance admin services to upload and download the cloud images.
Let us move to the next OpenStack Interview Questions.
Q3. What are the different services run in the controller mode of the OpenStack cloud architecture?
The different types of services run on the OpenStack Cloud computing controller mode are as below –
- Identity Services such as Keystone.
- Nova Services such as Nova APIs
- Imaging Services such as Glance
- Nova Schedulers
- Nova Database Block and the Object Services
- Ceilometer Services
- MariaDB or MySQL database services and RabbitMQ messaging Services
- Networking Management services such as Neutron
- Networking agents and Orchestration Service such as Heat
Q4. What are the three different components of the modular OpenStack architecture model?
These are the basic OpenStack Interview Questions asked in an interview. Please find below the different tables that OpenStack supports. The three different types of modular OpenStack architecture are OpenStack Compute, OpenStack Object Storage and Image Service, which are explained as below –
- OpenStack Compute – The OpenStack Compute is used to manage larger networks of the virtual machine instances.
- OpenStack Object Storage – The OpenStack Object Storage is used to provide Object Storage and Block Storage models’ support services.
- Image Service– The Image Service is used to discover the delivery services and provides the registration services and the Virtual Disk Images.
Q5. What are the different endpoint types of OpenStack Cloud Computing Services?
The different types of endpoints in the OpenStack Cloud Computing Services are as below –
- Public type endpoint
- Admin type endpoint and
- Internal type endpoint.
Part 2 – OpenStack Interview Questions (Advanced)
Let us now have a look at the advanced OpenStack Interview Questions.
Q6. What are the different nodes available in OpenStack?
There are two types of nodes.
- Compute Node
- Network Node
Q7. What is Hypervisor, and what are the different types of Hypervisors supported by the OpenStack Cloud?
The Hypervisor is defined as firmware or computer hardware used to provide virtual machine instances for the cloud computing instances and has different types of Hypervisors such as KVM, VMware, Containers, Xen, and Hyper-V, which are explained as below –
- KVM – This hypervisor is a virtualization layer in the Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM).
- VMWare – This hypervisor is of type ESXi Hypervisor and enterprise-class version hypervisor.
- Containers – This hypervisor is of cloud-native type hypervisor
- Xen– This hypervisor is a type of microkernel designed that provides services that allow multiple computers operating systems to execute the same computer hardware processes in concurrent mode.
- Hyper-V – This hypervisor is also called Windows Server Virtualization, which creates virtualized machines on Windows OS x86 – 64 version.
Let us move to the next OpenStack Interview Questions.
Q8. What is CPU Pinning in OpenStack Cloud Computing?
The CPU Pinning is defined as the process of reserving the physical core parts of virtual machines specified as per the requirement. It is also called the process of isolating the CPU.
Q9. What is the OpenFlow rule in OpenStack Cloud Networking?
This is the most asked Openstack Interview Questions in an interview. OpenFlow rule is defined as the data packet’s reaching path from source to destination in cloud computing.
Q10. What are the different Networking Options available in OpenStack?
Networking options available in OpenStack are as follow:-
- VLAN Network Manager
- Flat Network Manager
- Flat DHCP Network Manager
This has been a guide to the list of OpenStack Interview Questions and Answers. Here we have listed the most useful 10 interview sets of questions so that the jobseeker can crack the interview with ease. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –
- RMAN Interview Questions
- Product Manager Interview Questions
- UI Developer Interview Questions
- Hibernate Interview Questions