Updated April 3, 2023
Difference Between OneNote vs Evernote
The following article provides an outline for OneNote vs Evernote. Developed by Microsoft, the OneNote application helps in note gathering and collaborating with different users. Along with the notes, drawings and images can also collaborate into OneNote. It was initially released in 2003 and made free from 2013. Collaboration of notes happens through the internet or on the same network. Evernote application is a web-based application that serves the purpose of saving and archiving notes. The note can even be a voice message or a photograph, or a webpage. It was developed by Evernote corporation, and it has task management pages also. It offers free and paid accounts.
Head to Head Comparison Between OneNote vs Evernote (Infographics)
Below are the top 8 differences between OneNote vs Evernote:
Key Difference Between OneNote vs Evernote
Let us discuss some of the major key differences between OneNote vs Evernote:
- User satisfaction for both OneNote and Evernote depends on the ways they use the application. If a user needs to take notes and record videos and store them in the cloud storage, OneNote is preferred as storage options for OneNote is huge. OneDrive cloud storage should be opened by the users initially, and then they can use the storage for free. But in Evernote, the free storage option is only for 60MB, and if the user needs more storage, the premium account can be taken which offers 10GB storage. Therefore, different users prefer both applications in various aspects.
- Tag options are present in both OneNote and Evernote. In OneNote, we can add tags to all the notes, be it reminders, dates, passwords or names to each note. The notes will be arranged in an easy manner for the user to search and modify the same. Tags in Evernote can be used only to give titles to notes, and if we have a greater number of notes, we cannot give names to each note, and this becomes messy in the end.
- If we are using the downloaded version of OneNote, its layout differs from the online version. This makes users difficult to follow the same pattern online and offline. Though the downloaded and online version is the same for Evernote, one disadvantage is that it will ask us continuously to upgrade to the paid version if we are using the free version of Evernote.
- Considering the organization of notes, OneNote stands apart as it can tag to different names and to different users the notes and can be arranged in folder hierarchies. The notes are arranged in sections and pages where each page can be tagged. Evernote has different features to arrange notes but does not have folder hierarchies.
- Collaboration of notes can be done in both OneNote and Evernote, but the features are good in Evernote. For example, we can share the notes by right click-share and then write comments on each note or chat to the users with whom we are sharing the notes. Also, we can generate links for each note and send them in different mail or in chat. OneNote also provides sharing option, but we cannot chat with users or share the notes’ link via mail.
- We can do mathematical calculations in both OneNote and Evernote. One Note works with integrated formulae inside the application, and when we give the equation, results are generated. The paid version of Evernote integrates the formulae with a browser extension and give the expected results.
OneNote vs Evernote Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top 8 comparisons between OneNote vs Evernote:
|OneNote is free of cost, and all its features can be used without any payment to the application.||Evernote is not free. It has a free version with 60MB storage, but all the features can be used only in its paid version.|
|OneNote has a good feature of video recording and dictation tool. The voice notes can be converted to texts in these languages- English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Chinese. This helps the users to convert the notes to any language and share them across their network.||Evernote allows users to take screenshots and to record audio to send to the users. It cannot take video or does not have a dictation tool. Voice notes cannot be converted to other languages.|
|There is no option for task management in OneNote. We can collaborate with team members, but the project management functionalities are not present in the application.||Task management can be done easily in Evernote. There are some project management functions as well so that beginners in project management can look at them. To-do lists and meeting notes can be taken easily in this application.|
|We can add members to the application and share notes with them, but it is impossible to edit their permissions in the application.||Here, we can add users and edit permissions so that we can decide who can view and who can edit the notes that we share with them.|
|We can use web pages links and extensions to share with others. This is the basic functionality of web clippers where we cannot add comments or highlight the webpage sections.||Web clipper of Evernote has more features such as highlighting the webpage sentences and adding comments to screenshots taken from web pages. In addition, the design is better than OneNote.|
|Handwriting support and image to text conversion tools are present in OneNote, along with Optical Character Recognition. Unfortunately, OneNote supports only the English language.||Handwriting support, OCR and image to text conversion tools are present in Evernote as well and is offered in more than 25 languages. But most of these features can only be seen in paid versions.|
|OneNote collaborates well with Microsoft applications. Hence, users with the windows system are most benefitted from OneNote.||Evernote collaborates with many applications, and hence any users can take advantage of this application.|
|The storage option of OneNote is simply great as it is free. We need to login with Microsoft account, after which we can enjoy all the storage options provided by Microsoft.||With a 60MB limit on storage, Evernote restricts users in free version usage. Users are forced to use the paid version for more storage and different features.|
OneNote and Evernote stand together in one way or other. With storage options and note tagging, users prefer OneNote, but if users need to use more web content and collaborate with peers while sharing notes, then Evernote is preferred.
This is a guide to OneNote vs Evernote. Here we discuss key differences with infographics and comparison tables, respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –