Differences Between Java vs PHP
Java is purely general-purpose programming language, and PHP is typically server-side scripting language. Java can support both server-side and client-side language whereas PHP only supports server-side language. Any Java code needs to be compiled properly before execution and it’s a strongly typed language whereas PHP kind of dynamically typed language where the compilation of code is not required. Regarding application security and architecture concept Java is far better than PHP at any point in time
Let us study about Java and PHP in detail:
PHP is mainly considering server site script programming, which anyone can able to write, maximum web hosting companies are using Apache server/php. Where Java programming can’t able to write by anyone, a detailed understanding is required for writing the code in Java. PHP does not follow any application server concept, it just has one PHP Engine which runs .php file easily. Whereas for Java application, it should need to deploy any web application server as a WAR or EAR file. JSP engine is only using at the time of displaying the page, WAR or EAR file contains all the required .class file or JAR libraries or JSP pages.
As WAR or EAR file normally contain the .class file, not possible to read that file easily, verities tools are there to convert from .class to Java but it did not come in proper code format. Whereas PHP is very easy to read, if somehow anyone tracks the deployment environment, he can easily view PHP files or replace the same. Java also has a servlet filter concept which helps to rectify request or advance user define security whereas PHP doesn’t have this kind of concept.
Head to Head Comparison between Java vs PHP (Infographics)
Below is the top 4 comparison Between Java vs PHP
Key Differences between Java vs PHP
Below is the Some list of points that explained the key difference between Java and PHP
- Java needs Application Server, JVM, any operating system, a web server to run any application. Whereas PHP needs only Apache Server/IIS, PHP Engine, Operating System, Web Server to run.
- Application security is one of the key points of any Java Application. Servlet filter, URL encoding, Secure Web Services are mostly using in Java for application security perspective. Whereas PHP doesn’t have a concept of this kind of security handling.
- Java is very much easy to communicate with any API, which preferring Java for any future automates tool development. Whereas PHP has some restriction in the concept of API calls, but API calling is also possible through PHP in upper version.
- Java has reflection concept internally from the first day onwards, like Interface, repetitive classes, Abstract Class, or methods concepts. Whereas PHP doesn’t have this kind of concept, but PHP advance version introducing the same which not much advance like Java.
- In case of page loading timing consideration, PHP pages are somehow faster than JSP pages. A number of tasks defined for PHP engine are very much lesser than JSP engine. But still, Java has a lot of options on performance tuning on the code, one of biggest way to improve page loading performance is, not writing any business logic or core java code inside the JSP pages. Normally using tag library (example JSTL) for handling this purpose.
- As PHP is very easy to learn, it obviously low cost in terms of support and resource availability. Whereas Java is maintaining higher cost obviously than PHP.
- Several open popular page design tool like Drupal and WordPress has written in PHP. Java is normally not that much popular in page design tool, whereas Java is mainly popular for those tools which concentrating on business logic or Object presentation concept.
- Updating PHP version is very easy, just adding ‘Hello Web 2.0’ well enough to update version of any PHP page.
- Managing or updating JSP pages is not a very tough task to do, but written complex logic people should have entire knowledge of Java Programming. Whereas modification of PHP pages is very easy to do, any designer or HTML developer can able to do it.
Java vs PHP Comparison Table
Below are the lists of points, describe the comparisons Between Java vs PHP
|BASIS of Comparison Between Java vs PHP||Java||PHP|
|Object Concept||Java is following the object-oriented concept. So entire architecture always well defined.||PHP could not follow this kind of concept, it’s simple a server-side scripting language which doesn’t have any binding to follow defined architecture.|
|Reflection Concept||Java has very well define reflection concepts like reusable classes, Interfaces, Abstract Class or methods.||Long time PHP didn’t have any reflection concept, but from PHP 5.0 onwards it has introduced this feature which not that much advance in comparison to Java.|
|Page loading Speed||In case of page loading speed specifically some complex logic, Java will take little more time compared to PHP.||PHP page loading speed always higher than Java, as PHP engine doesn’t take a big load like JSP engine. So that whereas complex logic requires some public viewable data organization prefers to use PHP.|
|Scope||Request, Session, Page, Context||Page, Session, Request|
Conclusion – Java vs PHP
So concluding all aspects, Java vs PHP is totally following some different approach in developing and deploying any web application. The maximum organization mainly banking, procurement or other important domain always prefer to use Java due to security constraint and friendly to use any external or third-party API. Whereas PHP is mainly used for normal web designing screen where minimum database access required for given some dynamic view or admin management. And anyway PHP is always a low-cost investment, so it always is preferable for a small organization at least to start one simple web page which helps them to start their initial business. But as of now, after clouding came in the market especially like AWS, which also provide a lot of option to minimize cost on using Java platform, and attract small or starting organization as well to use Java platform in minimum cost and given best services.
4.8 (3,262 ratings)
This has been a useful guide to the difference between Java and PHP here we have discussed their Meaning, Head to Head Comparisons, Key differences, and conclusion. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –
- Java vs C# Want to know about Benefits
- Java vs Ruby differences
- Simplifying the comparison between Ruby vs PHP
- Rails vs PHP – The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Comparison)
- Amazing Guide on Java Testing Interview Questions
- JSP Interview Questions: What are the Amazing guide
- Weblogic vs Tomcat: Best Differences
- WebLogic vs WebSphere: What are the Comparisons