Difference between Laravel and Zend
Laravel is a PHP framework for web development that is open source and is also free to use. It is primarily being used for the development of web applications. Laravel provides a rich set of functionalities for development with the latest features. Zend is a PHP is a web application based framework that is object-oriented based and open source, and free to use along with PHP programming based web applications. It supports cross-platform operating systems. It manages the packages dependencies easily.
Taylor Otwell created Laravel. It was based on MVC (Model View Controller) architectural design pattern. It was licensed under the MIT license. It was initially released in the year June 2011. It was completely written in the PHP programming language. Laravel is easy to use and to understand. It is a robust MVC framework for web application development in PHP. The security features on Laravel are very good in the case of web security, where web attacks are prevalent.
Zend is object-oriented based and open source, and free to use. It was licensed under New BSD License. It is based on MVC (Model View Controller) and in combination with the Front Controller design pattern, which delegates the requests based on a single controller class. It was initially released in the year 2006. The Zend framework is usually based on multiple packages and contains a package dependency manager to organise the dependencies easily. It supports cross-platform operating systems.
Head to Head Comparison Between Laravel and Zend (Infographics)
Below is the top 9 difference between Laravel vs Zend :
Key Differences between Laravel and Zend
Both Laravel vs Zend are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference :
- Laravel is a full-stack web application framework that packages or supports a lot of third-party tools and frameworks, whereas Zend is a PHP based MVC framework that is used to develop a web application that mainly concentrates on scalability and stability of the application.
- Laravel requires different kinds of configuration for the server and other tools to be used along with the application, whereas Zend has features such as Event-driven, MVVM, MVC, dependency injection, restful web services, service locators, and different databases support.
- Laravel has features of clean architecture, open-source, growing community, a dependency injection only available framework for PHP, whereas Zend is an MVC framework which is the main configuration over convention.
- Laravel can be integrated with different more tools compared to Lumen, whereas Zend supports different database integration such as DB2, MySQL, MS SQL, Oracle, MongoDB, SQLite, etc.
- Laravel performance will be good in the case of SQL queries and tuning the database from the application level, whereas the Zend framework’s performance declined in the case of SQL queries and is very less compared to Laravel.
- Laravel has different specifications in the case of ORM framework, which is eloquent and Blade being the default template engine which was written in PHP completely, whereas Zend has ORM specifications which were called Propel or Doctrine.
- Laravel has its own command-line interface, which is built-in along with the framework, whereas Zend has a CLI tool called Command Line tool in its framework.
- Laravel has an excellent built-in object-relational mapping framework, whereas Zend is also having ORM frameworks.
- Laravel is good for building Restful APIs (Application Programming Interfaces), whereas Zend also has Restful Web Services API within its framework.
- Laravel has good documentation to work on and initialize the project kick-off, whereas Zend has different template languages such as Smarty, Twig or PHP.
- Laravel is easier to integrate authentication with the application, whereas Zend has an authentication feature but not authorization.
- Laravel handles the event queuing easily, whereas Zend has an event manager package to be run.
- Laravel has a powerful template system, whereas Zend has powerful template languages support.
- Laravel has a steep learning curve to master the framework, whereas Zend has a hard learning curve and takes time to implement.
- Laravel has poor performance and speed compared to Zend, whereas Zend improves application performance and provides a good response for the server request.
- Laravel has a Symfony framework that can be used to create Symfony Components where as Zend is also a framework that is a counterpart to the Symfony framework.
Laravel vs Zend Comparison Table
Here are some of the Comparison between Laravel vs Zend –
|The basis Of Comparison||
|Definition||It is an MVC based full-stack web application framework.||It is a PHP based MVC framework for a web application that maintains stability and scalability.|
|Usage||It is PHP based on a full-stack web framework.||It is also a PHP based MVC framework.|
|Integration||It supports integration and usage along with the PHP programming language.||It supports integration by adding packages using the package dependency manager.|
|Platform||It supports any operating systems or platforms.||It supports cross-platform operating systems.|
|Requests||It handles less requests per second compared to Lumen.||It handles less number of requests per second compared to Laravel.|
|Community||It has a smaller community compared to Angular.||It has a larger community and many individual contributors from Zend technologies.|
|License||It was licensed under MIT license.||It was also licensed under MIT.|
|Response Time||Response time is high for Laravel compared to Lumen.||Response time is less compared to Laravel.|
|Speed||Laravel works less speeder compared to Lumen.||Zend is all about stability and scalability rather than the speed factor.|
Zend vs Laravel both are PHP based web application frameworks for modern mobile, web and desktop applications, and they support different third-party tools or application integration; and Zend is open source and has poor community support but high performance enabling features, whereas Laravel has a large user base and great community support with high individual contributors. The choice should be Laravel in the case of community support and standard features, and many third-party tools multiple integration tools. Laravel has an inbuilt Auth0 integration feature, whereas Zend does not have the same.
Laravel is stable and requires more learning compared to Zend and is recommended in the case of smaller applications that does not need performance and requires security of the application, whereas Zend can be preferred in the case of the application performance, stability and scalability maintenance irrespective of the features and integration facilities which can be improved using different other components and efficient techniques.
This has been a guide to the top difference between Laravel vs Zend. Here we also discuss the key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more.