Updated July 10, 2023
Introduction to Kanban Board in Jira
Kanban board is a project management tool, and it is mainly designed to increase efficiency and to help visualization of work. The word KANBAN is a Japanese word, and the meaning is a card or virtual signal. Kanban Board helps in processing the work in a well-defined manner by using cards and columns. JIRA is a tool that helps in tracking the work. JIRA Kanban Board is developed based on digital kanban technology, which helps easily process the work without any issues. It helps develop the project along with the bug-tracking system.
Components of Kanban Board in Jira
The main components are given below:
- Kanban Cards
- Kanban Columns
- Work-in-Progress Limits
- Kanban Swimlanes
- Delivery Point
- Commitment Point
1. Kanban Cards: This helps mainly with the visual representation of tasks. We will have different cards; each card represents information about the task and its status. To be in detail, it tells about the deadline, assignee, and description of work ETC.
2. Kanban Columns: Here, each column tells us about the different stages of the workflow. Cards help us in the completion of the entire workflow.
3. Work-in-Progress Limits: This helps in the multiple stages of the workflow to restrict the maximum amount of tasks. So with the help of this, there will be limited work-in-progress tasks, so we can finish the tasks faster because of limited work-in-progress tasks. Now teams can concentrate on current tasks instead of starting all the tasks.
4. Kanban Swimlanes: Kanban swimlanes are horizontal lanes that help separate different activities, Status, teams, stages, services, etc.
5. Commitment Point: This helps the team track the work in progress and helps represent the work committed to completing. This helps in identifying the task committed to completing.
6. Delivery point: This is a particular task’s final step or end.
Main advantages of using Kanban board in Jira:
- Visualize your work
- Limit your work in the process
- Focus on flow
- Practice continuous improvement
States of Kanban Board in Jira
Given below are the states:
- To do
Based on the requirement, we can change the hierarchies of the Kanban board in Jira. The basic structure may be like Backlog, To do, Dev, and Done.
How to Use Kanban Board?
- Visualize your Team’s Workflow and spot Weaknesses.
- Optimize the Flow of Your Work.
- Choosing a Kanban Board in Jira: Physical or Virtual.
1. Visualize your Team’s Workflow and Spot Weaknesses
Why we are going to use the Kanban board in Jira is the Kanban board helps in easing the process by visualizing the potential problems. It is very simple if e are getting all tasks closer, then work will burden up, and the impact will be on the entire team. This will cause because all the tasks come simultaneously, and there will be no track of what employees are doing. So here it helps in finding the exact status of each task, then it gives the exact picture of where the problem lies and can easily sort each problem.
If you use the Kanban board in Jira, we can divide the tasks into different categories. As said above, if the task is not started, it will be in Yet to Start status. If the work started, then the status we have to change to work in progress, and if they struck somewhere, we could enter our comments, which will be reviewed soon, and if the task completes, we can change the status to complete.
2. Optimize the Flow of Your Work
The main aim of using the Kanban board in Jira is to limit the work. For example, it can handle more work pressure most smoothly. Heavy-pressure work can easily handle in Jira if we use the Kanban board. Kanban board helps elevate physical and virtual whiteboards from visualization of tasks to proper workflow. It helps limit the work in progress.
3. Choosing a Kanban Board in Jira: Physical or Virtual
Kanban board is of different types. A team can set up their physical kanban board using a blackboard, or in the office, they can use a whiteboard and team can use a physical kanban board using a flipchart, excel, or notepads and stuck to the walls and be more simple physical kanban board is series of sticky notes. We can highlight in different colors for different tasks. Kanban boards may be physical or virtual, but if we use this, we cannot track the work or simplify the tasks.
Virtual Kanban board in Jira systems includes email integration, it provides real-time access for all remote-based workers and vendors, and the main important thing is reporting part. We can easily pull the report and identify the status of all tasks of the team members of any location, including remote users. If we use it, we can easily integrate it with other applications. We will have a detailed view of the issues if we use Kanban board in Jira to be in detail(we can see the full details of the issue).
Below are the main reasons we are using Kanban board in Jira, which are self-explanatory. We can easily add attachments and can easily create subtasks. We can easily change the status(Any status, no restrictions). If required, we can easily add the comment, which helps hide the fields in the issue.
- Transition issues
- Issue details
- Docked comment bar
- Configure issue layout
- Watch and more actions
- Quick-add buttons
The main use of the Kanban board in Jira is to plan work for the team members. For planning work in a smaller column becomes too difficult to add more issues to the column. If we use Kanban backlog, we will have more space to create more issues and assign the same to the team members. The main advantage of using Kanban board in Jira is to break down complex and large tasks. We can track the tasks, and at any point in time, we can check the task status of teams by reports.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Kanban Board in Jira” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.