Excel Insert Calendar (Table of Contents)
Create and Insert Calendar in Excel
Calendar is an inbuilt function in Excel, it has a variety of calendars and we can choose any format as per our requirement. Calendar in excel is an advanced version or format of the calendar which is already there with a window also it can be created by VBA coding as well.
How to Insert Calendar in Excel?
Insert Calendar in Excel is very simple and easy. Let’s understand how to Insert Calendar in Excel with some examples.
Example #1 – Excel Insert Calendar
This is the best and easy way to access a calendar in excel. With this, we can insert a calendar with many different designs that are already inbuilt in excel or else we can search for a new design. For this:
- Go to the File menu as shown below.
- After that, it will get us to the File menu screen as shown below. From there select “New” option from the list.
- As we can see in the above screenshot, under the option “New” we can directly search calendar in the search bar and then click on the “Search” icon as shown below or else directly click on the Calendar option which is located just below the search bar. Let’s just click on Calendar option from the below screenshot.
- Once you click on it, we will get all the inbuilt Calendar templates as shown below. We can select any of the templates as per our needs.
- All the inbuilt templates of Calendar in excel can be used in many different purposes. For example, let’s select “Academic calendar” as shown below.
- After selecting the required template, as shown above, we will get a preview of the selected template. From there we can navigate to the next or previous template or we can select the same selected template by clicking on the “Create” icon as shown below.
- After clicking on Create icon, the selected template of Calendar will get downloaded and it will automatically get opened in a new workbook with the name of the selected calendar template name as shown below.
- We can filter the calendar month name from the drop-down menu available at the right side of the name of the month as highlighted in the above screenshot.
- If we put the cursor on any of the date cells, we can see the complete formula which is applied to it. Although we can change or modify the formula but it is not recommended to do so.
Example #2 – Excel Insert Calendar
There is one more option from where we can insert calendar in excel, for that:
- Go to the File menu, in that select “Options” as shown in the below screenshot.
- In Customize Ribbon checkmark the “Developer (Custom)” option to enable the tab in the menu bar and click on Ok as shown below.
- Now go to the Developer menu and under Controls section select Insert as shown below.
Note: This technique can be used in both 32Bit and 64Bit windows to insert a calendar.
- Once you click on it, we will get a drop-down menu of it. From that select “More Control” option as shown below.
- We will then get More Controls window, from there with the help of scroll select Microsoft Date and Time Picker Control 6.0 (SP6) as shown below and click on OK.
- After clicking on it, it will enable the pointer to draw a box as per our need as shown below. And it will frame the current date in that box with a drop-down at a corner.
- Now right click on the box and select “Properties” from “DTPicker Object” as shown below.
- This will take us to DTPicker Properties. From there tick CheckBox option and click on Apply and OK as shown below.
- Now right click on the date box and select View Code to go to VBA Mode.
- This will take us to a new VBA Code window as shown below. Now in the blank sheet which is shown above, we will write a code that will frame a calendar in button which we have created. Below, we have written code and compiled it.
- This complete code will enable the calendar in the selected button which we have created above. Now save the VBA code and close the window to see where it is implemented or not. For that go to excel where we have created the box for date and click on the drop-down as shown below.
- We can change the position of the created calendar box anywhere in the current excel sheet.
- The created calendar looks exactly like a calendar in the Window tab.
- We can add any text, memo or notes in a calendar as we do in our mobile phone/outlook calendar.
- No need to change the calendar format manually. Just change the month or year and the whole setting will get updated.
- Calendar inserted by VBA can only be done if you are using windows 32bit.
Things to Remember About Insert Calendar in Excel
- Always exit from Design mode if you are using a calendar by VBA coding.
- Use window 32bit when you want to add a calendar by VBA coding.
- Save the file in Excel Marco-Enabled Workbook, to allow macro function in work.
- If you want to insert calendar by using the inbuilt templates available in excel, you must have an internet connection to download and import the setting and template from Microsoft server.
This is a guide to Insert Calendar in Excel. Here we discuss How to Insert Calendar in Excel along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You can also go through our other suggested articles –
4.9 (2,433 ratings)