Updated June 3, 2023
LIC (Life Insurance Corporation of India)
The full form of LIC is the Life Insurance Corporation of India, a state-owned insurance group and investment company based in Mumbai, India. It is India’s largest insurance company, with over 2000 branches and millions of policyholders. LIC was founded in 1956 when the Indian government nationalized private insurance companies and merged them into a single entity. The company provides term, endowment, money-back, pension, and unit-linked insurance plans. In this article, you will understand the full form of LIC.
What is LIC?
LIC invests in various sectors, including real estate, infrastructure, capital markets, and life insurance. The firm has made substantial investments in the Indian stock market and is one of the country’s largest investors. Over the years, LIC has significantly contributed to the Indian economy, providing millions of people with job opportunities and financial security. It is also well-known for its extensive social welfare programs, which include initiatives for underprivileged and rural communities.
The full form of LIC is commonly used in official terms. It is India’s largest insurance company, offering various life insurance products, including term plans, endowment plans, money-back plans, pension plans, and unit-linked insurance plans. It was established in 1956 after the Indian government nationalized and merged private insurance companies into a single entity. You may explore real estate, capital markets, and life insurance. People around the world widely recognize India’s largest life insurance sector. Overall, LIC is an important player in India’s insurance and financial sectors, providing financial security to millions of people while contributing to the country’s economic development.
Why is LIC Popular?
LIC (Life Insurance Corporation of India) is popular for several reasons, some of which are:
- People in India regard LIC as trustworthy and reliable because it is a government-owned company. It has been in operation in the country for more than 60 years, and millions of people have put their trust in it for their life insurance needs.
- LIC provides a wide variety of life insurance products, including term plans, endowment plans, money-back plans, pension plans, and unit-linked insurance plans. This means that people can choose various options based on their financial objectives and needs.
- Long-Term Investments: LIC has a long-term investment perspective and invests in various sectors, such as real estate, infrastructure, and capital markets. This has helped the company generate significant returns for its policyholders.
- Social Welfare: LIC is well-known for its extensive social welfare programs, which include programs for the underprivileged and rural communities. This has aided the company’s reputation in India.
- In India, LIC has a strong brand image. Its advertisements featuring popular personalities and slogans like “Zindagi ke saath bhi, Zindagi ke baad bhi” have resonated with people in the country.
Creation of LIC
The LIC (Life Insurance Corporation of India) was established to provide life insurance coverage to Indians. Private insurance companies dominated the Indian insurance sector before the establishment of LIC. The Indian government nationalized private insurance companies in 1956 and merged them into the Life Insurance Corporation of India. The primary goal of the LIC was to provide life insurance coverage to Indians, particularly those in the middle and lower income brackets.
The establishment of LIC had a broader economic goal as well. The government wished to channel people’s savings into the growth of the country’s economy. LIC invested in infrastructure, real estate, and capital markets. Over the years, LIC’s investments have contributed to the country’s economic growth.
Benefits of LIC
- Financial Security: In the event of an unforeseen event, such as death or disability, LIC provides financial security to policyholders and their families. In such cases, policy benefits can assist the family in coping with the financial burden.
- LIC provides a wide variety of life insurance products, including term plans, endowment plans, money-back plans, pension plans, and unit-linked insurance plans. This means people can choose several options based on their financial objectives and needs.
- It Helps to Invest: LIC isn’t a standard investment in the real estate and capital markets but also promises to be there long term. It is also known to give more returns to the policyholders.
- Guaranteed Returns: Some LIC policies provide guaranteed returns upon maturity or death, giving policyholders a sense of security.
- Recognized Welfares: It includes extension social welfare programs for rural and underprivileged. Once a person invests in policy, they will also contribute to the welfare of society.
Conclusion – Full Form of LIC
To summarize, LIC provides its policyholders with financial security, a diverse range of products, long-term investments, tax advantages, guaranteed returns, loan facilities, and social welfare programs. These benefits have made LIC a popular insurance provider in India.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on the “Full Form of LIC” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information –