What is DRDO?
Joining DRDO is like a dream come true, especially for aspiring scientists. This research and development body of the Ministry of Defense, Government of India, is one of the premier institutions in India. Let’s discuss the full form of DRDO, its objectives, and who can join it. The full form of DRDO is Defence Research & Development Organisation, headquartered in New Delhi.
Institutionalized in 1958, DRDO came into existence with the Indian Army’s TDE (Technical Development Establishment) and DTDP ( Directorate of Technical Development and Production) merger with the Defense Science Organization (DSO). Starting with just ten laboratories, it grew multi-directionally and is a network of over 50 laboratories covering a wide range of defense technological disciplines.
- Mobile Autonomous Robot System that handles IEDs(Inert Explosive Devices), its design, and also landmines.
- Its highest terrestrial center, Ladakh used for cold storage of medicinal and other natural plants.
DRDO pursues to make India self-reliant in the defense and technology sector. Its Make-in-India initiative extends from indigenous missile development like Agni and Prithvi. We discussed the full form of DRDO, its responsibilities and mission statements, and it’s time for light combat aircraft like Pinaka. DRDO adheres to its slogan, “Balasya Mulam Vigyanam,” aiming to serve the nation in war and peace. The organization strives to develop everything from aeronautics to advanced computing, etc.
DRDO Mission for India
- Develop world-class infrastructure to build an efficient indigenous tech point with a quality workforce.
- Boost the troop’s well-being.
- Promote problem-solving to combat the effectiveness of the services.
- Design, develop, and manufacture top-quality indigenous defense equipment and weaponry systems.
After wrapping up the discussion about the full form of DRDO and its responsibilities, let’s discuss something interesting.
BrahMos Supersonic Cruise Missile, a joint project of DRDO with Russia’s NPO Mashinostroyeniya, is the world’s fastest cruise missile under operation. Its speed can reach up to 954.8 m/s to 1020.9m/s!
What is DIITM?
It stands for Directorate of Industry Interface and Technology Management that works to
- Collaborate with over 1800 industry partners for the production and commercialization of DRDO-developed technology.
- License issuance and address of ToT(Transfer of Technology) matters.
- Support technological developments of TDF( Technology Development Fund), Research Boards, etc.
- Provide industries dual licensing rights for defense technologies, also suitable for the civilian market.
- Give DRDO’ Test Facilities’ access to other Indian industries on a payment basis.
- Assess the NoC applications of Indian industries for the export of military products based on DRDO’s technology.
Time for Another interesting fact #2
Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam earned his title of Missile Man of India due to his work with DRDO on its civilian space program and military equipment development like missiles.
How Can One Join DRDO?
DRDO follows two methods for recruitment for different posts:
- Recruitment and Assessment Centre(RAC) assessment for Grade A(Scientists) Posts under Defence Research & Development Service.
- Entrance test CEPTAM for Group B and Group C recruitment that includes Admin and Allied Cadre and DRTC.
DRDO Recruitment for Grade A Posts( Under DRDS)
|Essential Qualifications||Desirable Qualifications||Desired Experience||
|Science or Engineering||At least first class MSc. in Psychology/Mathematics
Bachelor’s in Engineering/Metallurgy/Technology
|Knowledge of any of the following languages:
||Scientist C||3 years|
|Scientist D||7 years|
|Scientist E||10 years|
|Scientist F||13 years|
|Scientist G/H||15 years|
|Medical/ Veterinary Science||Bachelor’s in Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry(BVSc&AH)
A Medical qualification as per Schedule 1 and 2 of IMC Act,1956.
A Medical qualification as per the Part II of Schedule III of the IMC Act, 1956(102 of 1956) must also fulfill Section 13’s sub-section(3)’s conditions.
A dental qualification as per Part I, II/III of Schedule 16 of the Dentist Act,1948
DRDO Recruitment for Posts of Grade B & C
|Senior Technical Assistant||Diploma in Engineering or Technology or Bachelor’s degree in Science or Computer Science or Allied Subjects from AICTE recognized institution.||● Indian Nationality
● Age Limit: 18-28 years
|Technician A||Matriculation certificate/Certificate of Industrial Training/ Mimimu 1-year industrial experience in the required discipline.|
Age Relaxation in Upper Limit
Less or equal to 28 years
Regular workers in Central /Union Territory: As per the rules in vogue
For PWD, an additional relaxation of 5 years.
|Scientist C||Less or equal to 35 years|
|Scientist D||Less or equal to 45 years|
|Scientist E||Less or equal to 45years|
|Scientist F||Less or equal to 50 years|
|Scientist G||Less or equal to 50 years|
So, we discussed everything from the full form of DRDO, its recruitment, and who can apply in this article.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Full Form of DRDO” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,