About Software Project Management Training
Planning and managing software projects can get a lot trickier if you do away with the systematic approach that project management follows. Being a sub-discipline of project management itself, software project management is a tad different than handling and managing projects that deal with manufacturing, production, or business.
Rewinding the Clock
During the 1980s, the software industry suddenly gained a whole lot of momentum and exploded onto the business front, with organizations being set up to deal with the continuous and vigorous demands for software. Software started dominating the industrial front and was relied upon to get work done faster, with more agility. Businesses also realized that the cost of building and maintaining a piece of software was comparatively cheaper than the hardware equipment that was previously used in industries. To invest and chip up the block, even more, managers and industrialist resorted to projecting management to carve up the process to an even leaner state. But, applying the tools and techniques of project management were not enough as there came to be a wide gap between user specification and the delivered software product.
With a view to bridge this gap and have the requirement met as they were intended, a separate line of tools and techniques were put in place. Thus, arose the growing trend of software project management training.
Software Development Process
Even today, we still find software project management training evolving as per the analysis made on the failures that are encountered, and better methodologies are put into place. With these sets of analyses made, software projects came to be known through their different types and each type could then be dealt with separately. But, project managers maintain a fixed software development process that would envelop the entire process of building software from scratch till handing over the developed product to the clients. The software development process mainly deals with the production of the application in question.
The software development process invested in breaking up the entire work to be done in phases that would contain different tasks and activities, with a view to gain leverage when it came to management and planning. Stemming from the software development lifecycle (SDLC), a process that encompasses planning, analysis, testing, deploying, and maintenance of systems and software, the software development process aims at systematically going through the different stages of the SDLC to yield and maintain a software application.
There are three basic methodologies that are undertaken by software project managers and they are as follows:
Apart from these, there are different methodologies that can be adopted as per the requirement of your software and business. They are enlisted as follows:
- Rapid application development
- Extreme programming
- Iterative and incremental development
- Chaos model
- V model
- Unified Process (UP)
For a software project management training, along with developing the software application, it’s also essential that the key business issues and problems are dealt with. These business concerns are the driving factors of the success or failure of the software product, and handling these through the software development process is what is aimed at in software project management training. The key components that are taken care of by software project management are as follows:
- Risk management
- Conflict management
- Effective communication
- Requirements handling
- Change management
- Scope management
- Testing (system, user, integration)
- Project closure
- Issue management
As you can see, the areas that software project management training looks into have nothing to do with the actual programming of the software. For a software project manager, you need not be critically acquainted with programming and software developer skills, but acute management skills are required to keep the boat afloat.
Software Project Management Training Description
Introduction – This is an introductory section into learning the basics of software project management and what it means.
Managing Software Projects – Learn about the different types of software projects there exists and learn about the challenges that each of these types of projects poses in front of a project manager. Also, dive deep into the software development process and learn about what PMBOK and CMMI have to say about software project management training. Get to know the different and current methodologies used in the business space and know about your roles and responsibilities as a software project manager.
Managing Risks – Learn about the art of risk management and all the types of risks that you will encounter during a software development process.
Managing Time – Learn to factor time into the schedule of your software project management venture and get to know the margins that need to be considered when allocating and assigning time for different tasks and activities.
Managing Quality – Quality management is quintessential in the process of developing software. It’s needed at every point in the process, and managing this can be difficult sometimes. Learn how to unravel the mystery behind quality management.
Managing External Stakeholders – Your clients, investors, and your vendors all come under the external stakeholders’ category. In this section, you will learn everything you need to know about managing these stakeholders and maintaining a good rapport and communication thread with them.
Prerequisites for the Software Project Management Training
- Basic knowledge of handling the computer is needed as all the aspects of training take place online.
- Internet with speeds more than 512 Kbps would be good enough for your videos to stream correctly. It’s important that you don’t skip on any video as all are interlinked with the main topic. The knowledge gained will be immense.
- Basic understanding of project management would be a plus but is not necessary as software project management does pick up from where project management ends.
- Basic understanding or experience in management of any type would be beneficial or even understanding of businesses can be a plus for you.
- Pack up your zeal to learn and grow as a project manager and attend this training course.
This online training course needs your undivided attention if you were to grasp all the lessons that are showcased in the sections covered. The main aspect lies in how attentive and driven you are to get the work done in the most efficient and effective way.
Software Project Management Target Audience
Software project management training comprises one part of the entire paradigm of project management and can be targeted at one sector of project managers and professionals who are currently in this sector or who aspire to come into this sector in the coming future. This software project management training course is aimed at the following individuals:
- Project management professionals who are already into software project management training but need to upgrade their knowledge and get a hold over their responsibilities in a clear and concise manner. Also intended for professionals who want to make the transition from another section of project management to software.
- Project managers who need to once-over with regard to managing and handling software projects; those who are experiencing changes in their organizations and need to take up software projects for the company; and also for those who want to develop and take the buck a notch higher for their software projects.
- Project sponsors, project team members, and other key stakeholders who are keen on learning more about the software project management training side to their businesses and projects. Who is keen on reaching the project managerial spot soon.
- Students who want to and are aspiring to pursue their career in management and project management are best suited for this training course. Students who can bank on their leadership qualities can opt for this software project management training.
- For anyone who is interested in learning or learning more about project closure and the entire process of software development.
- For anyone possessing leadership qualities, and those who think they can manage the software company objectives and teams can opt for this wholesome training course.
Software Project Management FAQs – General Questions
- What is this course about?
This course captures the essence of software project management and takes you down the road towards understanding the concept, the tools and techniques, and the methodologies of software project management. This course will also help you to realize your role as a software project manager and know how this role exerts control on the entire process and communication during the development of software for clients.
- Does this course cover the basics of traditional project management or agile project management?
This course will take you through both the types of project management, while specifically allowing you to understand the agile techniques and procedures. You will also learn about frameworks that govern these project management methodologies and help you through their guides.
- Is this course a preparatory course for Project Management Professional (PMP) certification?
No. This is not a preparatory course for PMP, but will surely benefit you if you’re working towards getting PMI’s PMP certification. The concepts are clearly explained to you and these will come in handy during your preparation for the certification course.
- Will I receive a certificate after successful completion of this course?
Yes. You will receive a verifiable course completion certificate from eduCBA that can be added to your CV or achievements.
- Once I complete the course, can I access the videos later on for reference?
Yes, you can. Once you’ve enrolled and taken up the course, you have a lifetime access to the course material for reference basis.
I took the course on Software Project Management training, and the videos and online training was very comprehensive and in simple language. The points are detailed yet concise, making it easy for me to remember. The entire process and peripherals are explained with great examples which I can relate to my own work scenario. Good job eduCba!
During the entire length of the training course I was so captivated by the way things were explained in the videos. Though this is not classroom training, the experience was almost like one. The content was very exclusive and helpful for me. I aspire to become associated with software projects soon at my workplace and this course is a great start to my career. Looking forward to other such training courses by EDUCBA. The practical parts were very exciting and got me doing all the exercises. I am happy that I took this course in nick of time.
The curriculum is precise and highly structured. I know so much about software development than I ever knew while working in a software project team. I am software developer and I want to be able to become a project manager. I thought this course will help me understand the concepts well and it really helped me to gain a good and solid understanding of the software development process, the management of quality and risks, and also helped me about entire projects and how to differentiate them and which approach to use and when. Hats off to the eduCBA team. Great work on the content.
Amazing work on the course. I will never regret this. It has even helped me for my PMP certification. I know so much more and I can use these examples and approaches at my office work. Thanks EDUCBA.
Career Benefits of Software Project Management Training
With this software project management training, you will be able to reap the following benefits:
- Learn the importance of time and quality, and also learn about how crucial the task of setting a goal can be. This way you will be able to enhance your time management and quality management skills and will be able to implement the same in your organization or workplace.
- Close preview of what PMP and other related certification preparations are like. You will know the foundation on which these project management courses are standing on.
- You will be able to deal better with information systems and other project management software within your reach, and you will be able to use them for the best of your growth and that of your department or organization.
- You will be able to grab and hold on to those promotions and be a top contender for the job role.
|Where do our learners come from?|
|Professionals from around the world have benefited from eduCBA’s Software Project Management Training Courses. Some of the top places that our learners come from include New York, Dubai, San Francisco, Bay Area, New Jersey, Houston, Seattle, Toronto, London, Berlin, UAE, Chicago, UK, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, India, Bangalore, New Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata, Hyderabad and Gurgaon among many.|