Two in One: SAS as an Integrated Software Solution and Programming Language
SAS/ Statistical Analysis System is an integrated software solutions system which helps to facilitate data entry, retrieval and management. Report writing and graphics design are also some of the other benefits of thorough SAS training. SAS is also a programming language used for applications development. Statistical and mathematical analysis as well as business forecasting and decision support plus operations research and project management are also some of the outcomes of SAS training.
SAS…SOS for programmers
At the base of the SAS system is the software that makes it all possible. Base SAS software comprises the following:
- Data management facility
- Programming language
- Data analysis and reporting utilities
- Base SAS makes it possible to work with these features of SASand equips users to learn other SAS products.
Organizing data…The SAS data set
SAS organizes data into a table or rectangular form known as the SAS data set. Within a SAS data set, the row represents information regarding individual entities and is referred to as observation. Every column also symbolizes data and is described as a variable. Every specific piece of information is the data value. For building a SAS data set using Base SAS, programs need to be written in SAS programming languages.
SAS has ingredients for success
SAS training is instrumental for coding success. A SAS program begins with Data statement and creates a SAS data set/report referred to as Data Step. Data lines follow the Datelines statement. This is a means of processing raw data in a useful way when there are only few lines of data. The end of the raw data is indicated by the semicolon which is the step boundary and informs the SAS system that statements are ripe for execution. SAS language contains many elements of other programming systems such as statements, expressions, Call routines, functions, informats, formats and options.
SAS has strict rules
- SAS statements always end with a semicolon
- SAS statements can be written in lowercase, uppercase or an amalgam of the two
- SAS statements can commence in any column of a line and several statements are available for the same line
- A statement can be begun on one line and continued on another, yet words cannot be divided between two lines
- Words in SAS statements are either separated by blanks or special characters
- SAS names are used for SAS data set names, variable names and other important items
- SAS name can contain 1 to 32 characters
- The first character should either be an underscore or letter; subsequent characters must be numbers, letters or underscores
- SAS names cannot have blanks in them
- SAS remembers the combination of upper and lowercase letters used to create the variable name
- SAS remembers the initial case of every letter and uses it to represent the variable name while it is being printed
SAS is in a class of its own
SAS programming language is powerful as well as flexible. Any number of analyses and reports can be programmed once you have completed SAS training. SAS also specifies built in programs through its extensive library called SAS procedures. SAS procedures employ data values from SAS data sets for producing pre-programmed reports and minimal effort from the user.
For SAS success, take PROC steps
A portion of the SAS program that commences with PROC statement and closes with a RUN statement is referred to as a PROC step. PROC step includes a PROC statement (the name of the procedure you ant to use) and the name of the SAS data containing the values.
SAS Produces Traditional Outputs
SAS data set: This contains data values stored within table as observations and variables. Descriptive information is also stored about data sets. This includes names and arrangements of variables, observation number and creation date of the particular set. SAS data set can be longstanding or temporary.
- SAS Log- This is a record of SAS statements entered and messages from SAS regarding program execution. It appears as a file on disk, monitor display or hardcopy listing. Operating environment and site leads to variance in appearance of SAS log.
- Report/Simple Listing– This varies from range listing of data values to subset of large data set or detailed summary report that is used for data summarization and display stats.
- Other SAS files like catalogs – This comprises information which cannot be represented as tablets of data values. Items that can be stored in SAS catalogs include function key settings, letters produced by SAS software and displays produced by SAS software.
- External files/entries in other databases– This is created and updated by SAS programs. SAS software provides advantages for file updating stored in databases like Oracle. Object outputs have name, label and path. Many objects comprise formatting instructions but some output objects include only data.
Ways to run SAS programs…On the Move
There are numerous ways to run SAS programs and each differs in speed with which they are run.Also at variance is the nature of computer resources required and amount of interactivity with the program. Way the program is run influences the appearance of the output.
SAS Windowing Environment:
This enables direct interaction with SAS through series of windows used to perform common tasks including locating files, organizing them, editing and entering programs, review of log information and view of procedure output as well as setting options and considerably more. Using the SAS windowing environment is a quick and efficient way for programming in SAS. SAS training involves learning this because it saves program development time.
In non-interactive mode, a file must be prepared that contains SAS statements and system statements needed by the operating environment. Program runs immediately and occupies current workstation session. Non interactive education is faster than batch mode as the computer runs the program immediately.
For running a program in batch mode, file containing SAS statements and any system statements needed by the operating environment are prepared and submitted. While you are busy with other tasks at your workstation, operating environment schedules jobs for execution and runs it. A key feature of batch execution is that it is different from activities at the workstation and is a inexpensive way to program, especially handling large sized programs.
Interactive Line Mode:
In this session, you enter one line of the SAS program at a single time and SAS executes the DATA or PROC step as it reaches the end of the step. Procedure output is immediately seen on the display monitor.
Writing as well as running the first SAS program can be a very quick or not depending on the route you take. Some knowledge of program input and output is necessary as is invoking the SAS in the environment.
Why Should I learn SAS Training?
SAS is commercial software and it holds the highest share in private organizations. While other equivalent programming options can be downloaded for free such as R and Python, SAS costs money. But what it loses for in cost it makes up for through applicability.
- SAS is easy to learn
SAS can be learnt easily and there are also workable options for those who know SQL. SAS also has a good, stable Graphical User Interface/GUI in its repository. SAS has extensive documentation and certifications from leading SAS training institutions. While other programming languages are known for their simplicity and ease of learning, SAS is known for its complexity and rapidity of operations.
- SAS has immense data handling capabilities
This is a massive advantage for those engaging in SAS training. While programming languages like R compute everything in memory and computations were limited by RAM on 32 bit machines, SAS has excellent data handling capabilities and options for parallel computation.
- SAS graphics are pixel perfect
SAS has excellent functional graphical capabilities. High quality graphics is what makes SAS a cut above the rest when it comes to programming languages.
- Advancement in tools makes SAS perfect for any developer’s toolkit.
SAS updates its capabilities in upcoming version launches. Updates in controlled environment are released hence they are well tested. Chances of errors or bugs are minimal.
- SAS training leads in the job market
SAS is a market leader when it comes to available corporate jobs and many leading organizations require professionals who have completed their SAS training. SAS has the lion’s share of the market as against programming languages like Python.
- Excellent customer service support and community for SAS thrives
While some programming languages have the largest online community, others offer customer service support. SAS offers both! So, SAS training is simple because if you face any issues in installations or technical challenges, you can easily reach out to people in times of trouble. SAS also features end to end infrastructure ranging from visual analytics to data quality reporting and analytics, data warehouse and visual analytics.
If you are a fresher entering the analytics industry race, SAS training is definitely guaranteed to make you a winner. Based on circumstances such as career stage and financials, you should also also consider SAS training for diversity in expertise by learning a new tool. SAS opens the door to the future and offers fresh windows of opportunity.
Who Should Learn SAS Training?
- SAS programmers utilize analytic software products and work with organizations in numerous industries to develop systems solutions using data pertaining to risk management and company as well as individual performance. Other areas where those who receive SAS training develop solutions include financial systems, fraud detection, customer and security intelligence.
- Employers choose programmers who have received SAS training and are experienced in statistical analysis, sapling, regression analysis and actuarial science. Computer science programs include database apps, foundations for languages in programming, OS design and implementation as well as parallel computer architecture and mathematical basis of computing.
- SAS training and certification ensure that programs develop skills in areas like programming, business intelligence and analytics, advanced analytics, data management and admin. You can also attain base, advanced and clinical trials programmers through SAS training.
- SAS programmers who have received advanced degrees can ensure individuals are more competitive when applying for jobs. They can also ensure further promotions at a given company or firm and work with research and development teams to develop codes which manipulate data and conduct statistical evaluations.
- SAS training equips programmers from different backgrounds such as statistics, computer science and bioinformatics so candidates have experience in coding and specific areas of study. Gain SAS training and work experience to become equipped for positions in the programming industry. ASA community is also there for career advancement, job openings, product information and sharing forums. Joining the programming societies will facilitate meeting people in the field too.
Advantages/Uses of SAS Training:
SAS training validates your software skills and provides you with industry recognized knowledge. Globally recognized and universally accepted, SAS training credentials are perfect for those who want to invest today to reap benefits tomorrow.
Here are some of the advantages of SAS training:
#1 Expand career opportunities
#2 Increase marketability
#3 Enhance credibility as a tech professional
#4 Assess knowledge of SAS software
#5 Earning industry validation for knowledge
- SAS software has proved itself to be a market leader in initiating a new generation of business intelligence software. True enterprise intelligence is possible through SAS training because it integrates data warehousing, analytics and traditional BI applications for creating intelligence from increased amount of data.
- Current job listings require extensive SAS training and expertise. SAS has emerged as a key data analysis tool for research and is in demand in the market.
- SAS is a 4th generation language and it provides excellent GUI and easier ways to access multiple applications. Reliance is on user written scripts or programs processed when requested to do so. As it is a script based application, key to being successful is learning the tricks and rules of the writing scripts. SAS training equips programmers to manipulate large amounts of data and generate graphs and reports.
- SAS training is also essential for being able to manage data files created by other statistical packages such as SPSS, Excel, Systat, Stata and Minicab to be included in the SAS program either directly or through file conversion software. Learning SAS will ensure you do not miss out on data formats previously managed such as Oracle, DB2.
- SAS is versatile and powerful enough for meeting needs in data analyses. It is flexible with numerous input and output formats and numerous procedures for descriptive, inferential and forecasting types of analysis. SAS is integrated with other architecture through shared modules or products. Knowledge can be easily transferred to other modules.
- Worldwide electronic network of SAS users makes it quick to access. Free SAS resources are there for programmers and you can even connect with SAS experts online who will share their knowledge with you.
- SAS solutions are based on proven intelligence architecture which is scalable and open, enabling seamless integration of platforms and processes. Reliance is on user written scripts or programs. SAS is a script based application so learning rules and tricks of script writing ensures you can work with large data in short spans of time.
- SAS training helps programmers to stay updated with the latest technology and it can be rapidly integrated to enhance usability and flexibility.
- SAS certification improves skills and expertise and long term users will also benefit from this experience.
- SAS increases credibility with the employer as a technical pro looking to initiate professional development and personal growth
- SAS training increases power of earning
- SAS training is in high demand across the globe and you can validate skills in areas such as enterprise business intelligence, data management, programming, analytics and administration. Landing a job as a SAS professional is simple.
- Debugging errors in the log and tuning SAS code for optimal performance is a piece of cake. The icing on the cake is that SAS training extends functionality in the job market and ensures professionals are capable of complex data manipulation that just doesn’t cut it with point and click. Dynamic coding ensures that data step manipulation is facilitated. Cutting edge SAS language developments are on the anvil too.
- Steve Jobs from Apple has said that programming is the key to learning how to think. From buying a video game to making one and playing on your phone to programming it, SAS training helps you to expand as a tech professional.
Industry Applications of SAS Training:
- Linux can do everything Windows can do and more. Yet Windows is the primary word processing software used across the globe. The same goes for SAS. SAS stat and programming languages pack a powerful punch and are a knockout when it comes to statistical analyses and techniques. SAS is a paid software with support and any new innovation or statistical technique can be accepted only after comprehensive vetting.
- Data handling is another area where SAS training can work wonders, because SAS excels in handling massive datasets. Server editions of SAS can yield terabytes of information which R is likely to throw out. SAS programming syntax is easy and intuitive to learn, making it easier to apply across industries. From simple data manipulation to high level programming, SAS is the software for the job.
|Where do our learners come from?|
|Professionals from around the world have benefited from eduCBA’s Comprehensive SAS Training courses. Some of the top places that our learners come from include New York, Dubai, San Francisco, Bay Area, New Jersey, Houston, Seattle, Toronto, London, Berlin, UAE, Chicago, UK, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, India, Bangalore, New Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata, Hyderabad and Gurgaon among many.|