All About The Communication Skills Basics
Communication Skills Basics in today’s world communication with others is a vital part. Interpersonal communication skills play a key to an individual’s success. In the corporate world, communication skills are an important factor in deciding an individual’s career path communication skills basics. It is very important to reach out to supervisors, peers, subordinates, etc. in the workplace. For that, communication skills are crucial. Not everyone is born with good communication skills.
Communication Skills Basics
- For a majority of people, they need to learn these communication skills from an external source and then practice it repeatedly so that they can communicate with ease.
- Effective communication skills are very important in professional life as well as personal life. A number of jobs are there in which one needs excellent communication skills.
- There are a number of social occasions in which people with great communication skills, enjoy better social status along with a number of contacts/friends.
- Communication is a simple act of transferring information from one person to another via a medium. The ultimate goal of any communication process is understanding.
- There are two entities involved in the communication process- Sender and Receiver. The sender sends the information and the receiver perceives the information through an information medium. The roles can get interchanged based on the nature of the conversation.
- Effective communication skills involve both verbal and nonverbal communication. Communication skills involve expressing feelings through words as well as nonverbal communication like postures, body language, gestures, how one dress, etc.
- The process of communication also involves active listening skills, stress management techniques, the capability to recognize other’s emotions, etc.
- Effective communication skills act as an interconnecting substance that helps a person to deepen his connection to other members of the society or workplace.
- It helps in developing new contacts, improved teamwork, problem-solving capabilities, and decision-making abilities.
- Effective communication skills are more effective when it comes to instantly. For this, it requires time, effort, hard work to inculcate these communication skills and be an excellent communicator.
There are different types of communication Communication Skills Basics. They are-
Three Pillars Of Communication Skills Meaning
The basic model of Communication Skills Basics has three layers, namely- Ethos, Pathos, and Logos.
The meaning of this layer is “Ethics”. This measures the credibility of a speaker. This layer signifies the trustworthiness of a speaker. This, in turn, signifies the attracting capability of the speaker- how the audience would accept the speaker.
This means “empathy”. In other words, how good a speaker understands and comprehends the feelings of his listener.
This word means “logic”. It signifies the strength and power of one’s thoughts (speaker) and how good the speaker is presenting his thoughts to the audience.
This model emphasizes the fact that for the purpose of communicating effectively, one should have credibility, understands feelings of his listener and then skillfully present his ideas to the audience.
Some ground rules which should be kept in mind while communicating with others-
- One should not say loudly anything and everything that comes to his mind. One should take some time to recollect his thoughts and properly analyze those thoughts before speaking.
- One should align his thoughts in such a way that the true thoughts are expressed in words, thereby decreasing instances of miscommunication.
- One should always analyze his own words, that is, one should know that how his message will be perceived by the audience.
- If the speaker speaks fluently and confidently, he will appear as intelligent and mature.
- Nonverbal communications skills are equally important while communicating with others. The messages conveyed by eye contact and body language are vital while establishing communication with someone.
- The flow of communication should be clear, precise, crisp and easy to understand.
- It is best to minimize the use of complicated languages and jargon.
- It is always advisable to avoid sexist and racist terminology while communicating in order to prevent offensive situations.
- Before communicating with others, pay utmost importance to any difference in culture, attitude, past experiences, abilities, etc.
The Process Of Communication Skills Benefits
The required message meant for communicating is sent by the sender via a communication medium to one or multiple receivers. The sender should encode the information to be conveyed in a form which is suitable for the selected communication channel.
After the message has been sent, the receiver decodes the particular information to extract its significance as well as meaning.
It is a simple process, but sometimes it can have some faulty errors as a result of which misunderstanding takes place. If the communication skills are not improved, it may lead to barriers to communication which prevents the receiver from decoding the correct meaning.
An efficient communicator analyses his audience, understands them, selects an appropriate communication medium, modifies their message to be sent through this channel and encodes the message properly in order to minimize wrong decoding of the receiver.
Barriers to Communication Skills Benefits
There can be several barriers to communication which can prevent a receiver from interpreting the message sent by the sender correctly. They are-
- Emotional Barriers– When a person is overexcited or extremely sad, then it is more likely to cause misunderstandings in his communications. The messages may be incorrectly perceived by the receiver. In such cases, it is advisable to calm down first and then continue with the conversation.
- Physical Barrier– Sometimes there can be issues with the communication medium like excessive sound in the surroundings, hissing noise in the telephone, the voice of the speaker is not audible, etc. As a result, the messages may not be heard properly by the receiver.
- Lifestyle Barriers– A person cannot communicate effectively when he is doing multitasking. When people perform multiple jobs at the same time, he tends to miss the nonverbal signals in the communication.
- Improper non-verbal communication skills– The verbal message should match with the nonverbal cues, otherwise, the receiver will not be able to interpret the correct meaning of the message. For example, one can’t say “no” by nodding one’s head to “yes”.
Ways of improving communication skills Communication Skills Basics
- Sharpen your listening skills– The first and foremost thing which one can do towards improving communication skills is that make a conscious effort of listening carefully to what the other person is saying. In a professional life, whether in meetings or group discussion, it is very important to engage in active listening.
- Practice empathy– One should always try to understand the other person’s viewpoint which reduces misunderstanding to a great extent. Developing empathy towards others strengthens any relationship. It helps you to comprehend the unspoken aspects of the communication and respond accordingly.
- Try to be BRIEF, but specific– According to the popular notion, BRIEF– Background, Reason, Information, End and Follow Up. This is followed while sending professional emails. It helps to keep the emails short but containing all vital points. This acronym can be used for verbal communication skills too. Any official communication, one should follow 7 C’s of communication- Complete, Coherent, Correct, Courteous, Clear, Concise, Concrete.
- Customize your message to your audience– The communication message would be different for a co-worker, or boss, or senior, or kids, or elders and so on. It is wise to gauge the other person’s attitude, edit the message accordingly and then delivering it.
- Avoid the distractions- It is very unprofessional and rude to check your phone messages while another person is speaking with you. If it is not absolutely necessary to use the technology, you can avoid it for some time. If you can’t avoid it, just make an effort to at least look up to that person while he is sharing something.
- Make clarifications as and when needed- When engaging in communication with others, one should ask questions in between and avoid staring or nodding silently. It is also good to repeat the last few words of what the speaker is saying which shows your interest level. It also helps in clarifying facts that may have been wrongly interpreted. It is also a nice way to fill in awkward silences in between conversations. It helps in initiating small talks between two people, which increases their bonding.
- Present a story- Stories create a lasting impression on the audience. Stories usually activate our brain cells, make the presentation less boring, make us perform better in interviews and so on. The idea is communicated to the receiver in the form of a story which makes it interesting and attractive.
- Prepare a small script- One should always be prepared for small talks and have a fixed plan regarding small talks. The FORD method (Family, Occupation, Recreation, Dreams) is also quite helpful in initiating small talks. The FORD method helps small talks to convert into a long conversation with meaningful sharing of information.
- Avoid unnecessary communication fillers- The unnecessary words in between conversations like Ah, Um, Oho, etc. disturbs the natural flow of the speech. It is better to avoid them as much as possible. Try to take a deep breath and pause in between speeches to minimize the use of communication fillers.
- Check your body language- Improper body language during speaking may represent a different meaning. So nonverbal communication like body posture, gestures, eye contact, laughter control, etc. should be properly done so that the correct meaning of the conversation is conveyed.
- Make correct use of humor- Humor relaxes people and releases endorphins which help lower anxiety and stress. Most people can relate to someone who makes them laugh heartily. It is wise to be funny or witty in conversations, but do make sure that it is appropriate to the situation. The use of humor should be done in order to minimize communication barriers, gain affection as well as the trust of others.
- Avoid differentiating people- It is always advised to communicate with other people on an equal basis. In all situations, avoid talking in people’s back and avoid making favorites. If you treat people equally, you can easily build trust and respect. Always verify what people have understood from your conversation in order to avoid negative feelings and confusion. Always encourage honest and open feedback from your receiver communication skills basics.
- Make a conscious effort of conflict resolution– Be prepared to resolve any issues as they arise. It is vital to be an effective negotiator. You can apply your listening skills to understand all perspective of an argument. In the process of conflict resolution, try not to be too judgmental and practice empathy communication skills basics.
- Keep a positive attitude– People tend to avoid people who are always miserable and sulky. It is always best to maintain a cheerful, positive attitude towards life. Sometimes in life, things do not go as planned. In such cases, maintain your calm mind and communicate effectively with people. Do not forget to keep a bright smile on your face.
- Do not interrupt- When someone is giving a speech, do not interrupt him again and again. This disrupts the natural flow of communication. So better bite your tongue and hold back. Let the other person finish his speech before you start putting your questions communication skills basics.
- Try to assert yourself- The communication made between two more persons should be open, clear, direct, honest, respectful. Direct and assertive expression of your ideas helps in increased self-esteem and improved decision making. One should value his own idea, accept feedbacks positively, learn how to say no and express all negative ideas in a positive way. Sometimes it is alright to be angry, but one should have a respectful approach.
Communication is a vital part of everyday life- be it personal or professional. Lack of proper communication skills can have terrible results like emotional turbulence, frustration, stress, depression, unproductive meetings, inefficient teamwork, unable to achieve goals and so on.
It is very important to be a good communicator in order to be successful, popular and famous. We are living in a society and we have to socialize. In order to socialize well, it is very important to be a good communicator. It maintains your dignity, respect, standard in the society.
So, let’s hope that these tips will surely make you soar high in communication skills.
First Image source: pixabay.com
So here are some courses that will help you to the more detail about the communication skills basics, communication skills benefits and communication skills meaning so just go through the link which is given below.