Introduction – Career In RedHat
The open source industry is huge in size and demand. It’s a market strategy and not a business model. There are many big names who believe in this marketing strategy like RedHat, Google, and Oracle. Talking of facts, the open source market is expected to grow up to a worth of 32.95 billion USD by 2022.
Well, the open source market has different segment compositions within it, let’s have a look –
These are some of the prime factors for companies and developers earning with their open source software application. These details are relevant as our blog subject is also based on this business strategy. Keeping our focus on Career in RedHat segment of the open source community there are some highlights of it, have a look before we take a deep dive of other aspects of RedHat and related segments.
About – RedHat provide open-source software products to the enterprise community worldwide.
- American MNC
- Founded in 1993
- Headquarter in Raleigh, North Carolina
- Founder – Bob Young and Marc Ewing
- Products – RedHat enterprise Linux, Directory Server, Fedora, Satellite, Enterprise, Virtualization, Software Storage, CloudForms, and OpenShift
Education Required For Career in RedHat
RedHat needs to have a significant formal education. A bachelor’s degree is the prime necessities apart from being a certified professional. Here, the certifications play a very crucial role as the certified professional has hands-on training experience for the selected application. So, any bachelor degree or computer-based bachelor (BCA) or master degree (MCA) program would work (but B.Tech degree is preferred).
Note – You must have good hands-on experience and understanding of the application you are willing to learn and seek a job afterward.
Career Path in RedHat
The company offers a wide variety of certifications at different levels. Below we have mentioned all the available certifications. One thing to remember about these certifications is that these have validity for 3 years. Let’s see the available certifications.
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA)
- Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
- Red Hat Certified Architect (RHCA)
- Red Hat Certified Engineer in Red Hat OpenStack
- Red Hat Certified Enterprise Application Developer
- Red Hat Certified Enterprise Microservices Developer
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator in Red Hat OpenStack
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Hybrid Cloud Management
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Gluster Storage Administration
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Data Virtualization
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Virtualization
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Enterprise Application Server Administration
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Business Rules
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Business Process Design
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Camel Development
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Deployment and Systems Management
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in High Availability Clustering
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in OpenShift Administration
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in OpenShift Application Development
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Server Security and Hardening
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Linux Performance Tuning
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Fast-Cache Application Development
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Configuration Management
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Linux Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Ansible Automation
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Messaging Administration
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Ceph Storage Administration
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Identity Management
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Security: Linux
In order to become RedHat certified you need to gain certifications and pass the hands-on performance-based exam. Prior to taking the examinations, students must be proficient in Linux including its configurations and management and tools usage.
Let’s see some of the career choices and how frequent job opportunities may appear before the job seekers and how often.
With being a RedHat certified you know Linux (for sure) let’s explore this segment first –
- Linux Administrator
- Database Administrator
- IT infrastructure management jobs are in plenty
- Business administration and monitoring
- Business Design and infrastructure setup
For a RedHat professional the available work segments of jobs and opportunity in a market are as follow –
- Web-server administrator
- Server-security administrator
- Cloud computing
Apart from that, there are several other segments of job available for the candidates, let’s see –
- Technical support engineer (these are there in plenty all over India)
- Network Engineer
- System Engineer
Naukri Link gives a brief idea about the number of available jobs at present in India alone.
Job Positions or Application Areas For Career in RedHat
So, you have crossed the certification and have a wide understanding, now what? You got a very good job and then what? What environment you will work? Which technology you will be using? These questions haunt any fresher. Do not panic, we have answers to all these questions.
The work environment, technology areas, and other details are presented for our readers; let’s see them one by one. So you will be working on any of the below-mentioned technology.
- Linux platforms: includes the enterprise, satellite or OpenStack platform in it.
- Middleware: the middleware integrates software’s from other open source community like JBoss and Apache into a robust, integrated and fully testable platform available via subscription. These subscriptions include long-term maintenance and support.
- Virtualization Platform: enterprise-level virtualization, management for servers and desktops of the same infrastructure.
- Cloud Computing: these include the cloud infrastructure building and management, IaaS CloudForms, OpenStack platforms, OpenShift container application for better cloud apps development.
- Storage: this is a computer storage program based on open source technologies such as Gluster and Cell.
- Management: management tasks related to Satellite, CloudForms, Ansible, Insights products.
RedHat employees earn a good amount of salary in India and the US (world market). We will see the average and segment-wise price composition in this section.
Refer this link for salary details
The salary is the position or role dependent. The more years of experience you have the better you will be paid.
Senior software engineer – average – $137k
Software engineer – average – $110k
Principle Software Engineer – average – $161k
Associate Software engineer –average – $95k
Solution architect – average – $163k
Career Outlook in RedHat
RedHat a reputed name in the IT industry offers an assorted range of certification courses ranging from cloud to virtualization and company’s own cloud-based OS. These certifications hold great value as they are coupled with hands-on examinations. Never the less the starts also favor the RedHat technology and its market in near future.
Conclusion – Career in RedHat
We have already told that most of the top and leading Fortune 500 companies depend upon the RedHat technologies and open source software. A RedHat professional career will never be in twilight if we go by facts. The system administrator and the professional are some of the most widely sought after profiles in the RedHat industry market. RedHat – A kind of revolutionary technology is ever growing and ever demanding.
This has been a guide to Career in RedHat. Here we have discussed the Introduction, Education, Career Path in RedHat, Job Position, Salary and Career Outlook in RedHat. You may also look at the following article to learn more-