Updated May 12, 2023
Introduction to Career in Oracle
To create and sustain a career in Oracle, one should have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in computer science or Mathematics as a major. It is also imperative to have a few other technical skills: hands-on experience or working knowledge in SQL & PL/ SQL, programming experience in core Java, fundamentals of Database concepts & workflow, familiarity with the Database Administration work, etc. Oracle also provides a variety of certifications for enhancing the profile of a person interested in pursuing a career in Oracle.
Education Required for a Career in Oracle
Learning about the Oracle database is always a key switch for any candidate’s career in a different zone. People with a strong database management background, specifically in data structure or basic ideas about maintaining a database table, will always find it helpful. A trainer has expected some big knowledge, specifically on SQL and PL/SQL. Knowledge of Java will always be an added advantage. Individuals with a software programming background can actively engage in and intelligently learn all Oracle-related tasks, enabling them to cultivate an exceptional career in the future. Learning is one of the key requirements of understanding Oracle.
Career Path in Oracle
Experience in Oracle is always a great career switch, without any doubt. Oracle always has an excellent database management system supporting various programming languages, especially Java. Due to this big utilization, Oracle has planned and bought the entire Java ecosystem from Sun Microsystem and changed sun java to oracle java. Learning SQL and PL/SQL is insufficient to learn more about Oracle. Candidates should take some extra initiative for understanding and learning, specifically on the database administrator part, which is the central attractive zone for candidates willing to continue their great career in Oracle. Oracle provides different kinds of certificates for the database management system and Java.
- SQL Certification: This is one of the very basic exams that need to be cleared by the candidate to prove expertise in SQL queries. Multiple critical queries need to be written for that specific exam; sometimes, it has given some queries, and the output needs to confirm by the candidate. It is one of the easiest exams in Oracle to clear. Freshers and experienced can target the same for determining themselves as SQL developer.
- PL/SQL Certification: The candidate should be advanced in PL/SQL. This exam is interrelated with the above exam. Candidate should need to clear SQL exam before attending PL/SQL one. Candidate needs to face some critical questions on the Package, Function, Procedure, and Exception part and have to be more confident in those answers. It normally has multiple-choice questions. After clearing the same, that candidate can consider as Database Developer.
- Data Administrator Certification: An experienced candidate typically applies for this certification. It is related to database administration-related questions and is not at all easy. A candidate with expert knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, and a clear idea about the database environment, can target this exam.
Job Positions or Application Areas for a Career in Oracle
The job for an expert person in Oracle is huge. They don’t have any restrictions on the same. Experience candidates don’t need to consider their upcoming career if they want to upgrade their knowledge, specifically in Oracle. Job position varies in the Oracle database management system; one job is purely for developers, like in SQL or PL/SQL, whereas other job types are totally at the database administrative level. No doubt comparing both last jobs is too attractive than the first one. Expert knowledge in Oracle has below kind of job utility or title available in the current market:
- SQL and PL/SQL Developer: Interviewer expects a candidate with clear knowledge of SQL and PL/SQL technology. They must know about complex SQL queries, joining with multiple tables, Table integrity constant learning, and transaction management, specifically commit and rollback, function, procedure, exception, package, and cursor. Every kind of understanding is the key requirement for the same.
- Database Administrator Role: Normally, experienced and certified candidates can go for this kind of opportunity. It is not easy to crack the same, as an interviewer is expected to have a very depth knowledge of tablespace, indexing management, and performance tuning kind of critical part, which need to be learned by them properly.
Again salary is not at all binding for Oracle technology. The salary will automatically increase if someone is an SQL or PL/SQL expert. So there is no need to worry about the packages, whatever you need. As an organization looking for this kind of expert, never thinking about the package, they always expect some key guy with proper depth knowledge. But still, as expected, SQL or PL/SQL developers will not get that much package, whereas one database administrator can break any package in their future career. As expected, people who have already worked in SQL or PL/SQL development always need to target their career for switching to the administrator level. The only salary will automatically increase without any doubt. They don’t have any specific scale, but as per the current buzz, salary in Oracle can vary from $60000 to $160000 based on experience and role.
Oracle is always a very attractive career plan for anyone, whether fresher or experienced in SQL PL/SQL domain. Any SQL developer can target switching to the database administrator role by learning some key courses available. And always target doing some certification which adds an extra advantage to their career.
Oracle technology is currently more upgraded; almost every year, they have come with some new version of the software, which has a variety of features in which most of the features are not covered by the developer. For developers, possessing in-depth knowledge of standard SQL and PL/SQL development is not crucial. But if the person works in a database administrator role, he has to know about admin-level changes on each version; even certification from Oracle has been given based on the available version. So keep you updated and enjoy a great future.
This has been a guide to Career in Oracle. Here we have discussed the introduction, education required, career path, job position, salary, and career outlook. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –