Career in Java – Introduction
As of 2018, there are a lot of opportunities for Java programmers. With a projected growth rate of 19 percent for the 2014-2024 period (according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics for all application programming), the career prospects for Java programmers are indeed excellent.
- Java is everywhere: on all platforms and devices and in all countries around the world. It enables developers to make programs work just about anywhere. With time the importance and popularity of Java are on the rise as it has the magic in its remarkable abilities to innovate and morph as the technology landscape changes.
- It is still the most pervasive platform, whether you want to use it for developing smart card applications, mobile applications, or server-side enterprise applications.
- Java is not only easy to learn but is also is designed in such a way that it is easy to use, easy to write, compile, debug, and learn as compared to other programming languages. It also allows you to create reusable code and modular programs.
To be considered for a Java Programmer position, at a minimum, you need to have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, mathematics, or the equivalent. Some employers require a master’s degree as well. With some exposure to Java programming, it should be relatively easy to land an entry-level job at a company. Some employers may accept applicants without a formal education in one of these areas in lieu of substantial technical experience and knowledge. However, the more education and experience you have, the more appealing you appear to an employer.
Career Path in Java
Java is a rapidly growing programming language. Below are the reasons for same:
- Java is platform independent. No matter where you write Java program, it will execute on any other operating system (OS) with any processor.
- Java is open source.
- Java supports Dynamic web applications.
- The various Java features such as Java Applets, JSP, JavaBeans, JDBC for the database, etc. gives Java an edge over other programming languages.
- Java is the most secure and robust language. Error handling in Java is much more robust as compared to C/C++. Java finds most of the errors at compile time.
- Java has an inbuilt garbage collection.
Java is an object-oriented programming(OOP) language. Java code/program is executed by the Java Virtual Machine(JVM). Java compiler converts Java source code is into bytecode and then with Just-In-Time compiler bytecode is then converted into machine code accordingly making it platform independent. Then machine code is executed. When considering career in java, these are the qualities of Java give it an edge over other programming languages. If you are already a Java developer, you have a great opportunity in your career path ahead.
Regarding the career in Java, it is better if person has knowledge not only of Java but also of other technologies, such as, for job posts like ‘Android Developers’, ‘Java UI Developers’, etc. organizations in IT industry are looking for people who can handle multiple projects in the J2EE supplementing the industrial benefit. Therefore, if a person has knowledge of J2EE embedded with other technologies then he or she can get a well-paid job.
As a career in Java, a person should have knowledge of the following Java technologies:
4.8 (3,306 ratings)
- Core Java concepts: the basic concept of Object Oriented Programming, exception handling, multithreading, etc.
- Database (any RDBMS).
- Spring, Hibernate, Struts, JSF are some of the frameworks that need to be brushed up.
- Basic knowledge of middleware technologies such as EJB, RMI is enough.
The above-mentioned skills are required or at least some of skills are necessary for your resume before you search for a career in Java.
Job Position or Application area
Java has started a new era for IT sector. There are several unbelievable products and many services born by using Java. Java developers/programmers have a vast role in transforming the IT market. Java impacts everything from the mobility (i.e. Android) to the middleware (i.e. Hadoop) and hence has an evolving future.
Basically, Java is not just a Programming language but it is a programming atmosphere to develop and deploy enterprise applications.
It is important for information technology industry to develop and create multiple web-based or server-based applications to enhance the industrial competency. There is huge scope for this programming language.
As a career for Java developers/programmers, anyone can consider following job roles.
- Web developer
- Application developer
- EJB programmer
- Software developer
- Graphic designer
- A professional teacher in Java
The above-mentioned roles are some of the Java career jobs which you can expect in Java.
Salary (US data)
Below table shows the average salaries of different position per annum.
|Job Profile||Average Salaries [per annum]|
|Senior Java Developer||$116,267|
|Senior Programmer Analyst||$90,550|
Conclusion or Career Outlook
There is no denial of the fact that Java is the most significant thing happened to IT industry after C++. It has an illustrious journey since its inception and has been the backbone of many new products and services that have surprised the world. So, it becomes even more important and equally, curious to talk about the future of it. As far as the future of Java is concerned, it will be intertwined with that of agile and lean thinking that will allow the Java community to continue to innovate and deliver quality systems that address business needs.
- I believe that developers have a role to play in this story, by helping to accelerate the evolution of IT from isolated systems to collaborative development.
- It is embedded in many of the world’s important IT systems and is in a good position to play a part in future innovation.
- The best part about Java is, its eco-system is self-sustaining, from mobility to middleware, it impacts everything and will continue to make a big impact in future too.
This has been a guide to a career in java.Here we have discussed the Introduction, Education, Career Path in java, Job Positions, Salary and Career Outlook in java.you may also look at the following article to learn more –