Difference Between C vs C++ Performance
C is a general-purpose computer programming language. C is considered a high-level programming language and this programming language is much suitable and ideal for developing portable applications or firmware. The C programming language is a structure-oriented programming language and it is proven, very flexible and most powerful and it can be used for a variety of different applications. C++ is an enhancement and advanced for C language and it is a general-purpose for an object-oriented programming language. C++ is a superset of the C family and it is the preferred language by many for creating large-scale applications. C++ is considered as a compiled language, and implementation of this language is available on many platforms.
Let us study much more about C and C++ in detail:
- C is designed and developed by Dennis Ritchie in a company – Bell Labs in the year 1972 for the UNIX operating system. The recent and stable release of the C programming language is made in the year 2011, December.
- C++ is designed and developed by Bjarne Stroustrup in the year 1985. Initially, C++ was called by the name “C with Classes” and later it is renamed to C++ in the year 1983. The symbol ++ indicates that an increment operator in C symbolically represents an advanced version of C.
- The main basis of C++ is, it allows both hardware access and abstraction and it carries effectively and that makes C++ stand and differentiate from other programming languages.
As mentioned earlier, C++ is an object-oriented programming language. It has two main components:
- It directly maps the hardware features which are provided primarily by the C subset,
- Zero-overhead abstractions that are based on the hardware mappings.
Similar to the C language, C++ programming language supports memory management in four types:
- Static storage duration objects.
- Thread storage duration objects.
- Automatic storage duration objects and
- Dynamic storage duration objects.
Head to Head Comparison Between C and C++ Performance (Infographics)
Below is the top 8 difference between C and C++ Performance:
Key differences between C and C++ Performance
Both C vs C++ Performance are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between C and C++ Performance:
- Since C could not handle and manage some complexity, C++ language was invented to manage the same. This will helps to improve the performance.
- When it is considered about basic orientation, C language supports structure oriented programming. Whereas C++ supports object-oriented programming, generic programming, and also metaprogramming.
- C++ programming language supports Overloading and Exception Handling features whereas these features will not be supported in C language.
- Inheritance is possible in C language whereas it is not possible in C++.
- C programming language follows the Top-down approach in programming, whereas C++ language follows the bottom-up approach in programming.
- C programming language is not compatible with generic programming whereas C++ language is much compatible.
- In C language, “scanf” function is used for standard input and “printf” function is used for standard output. Whereas “cin” and “cout” are used for standard input and output respectively.
- Data security is more secured in C++ language whereas data is not secure in C programming language. Since data will be hidden in the C++ language and it is not accessible by using external functions.
- C++ language supports reference variables by which performance will increase, but whereas the C language will not support reference variables.
- C programming language facilitates dynamic memory allocation by using malloc() and calloc()functions and for memory de-allocation, it uses free() function.
- Whereas C++ language facilitates memory allocation by using new operator and also memory de-allocation by using delete operator.
C and C++ Performance Comparison Table
The primary Comparison between C and C++ Performance are discussed below.
|The Basis of Comparison Between C vs C++ Performance||C||C++ Performance|
|About & Definition||C is a general-purpose computer programming language. C is a subset of C++.
C is designed and developed by Dennis Ritchie in a company – Bell Labs in the year 1972.
|C++ is a high-level object-oriented programming language. C++ is a superset of C.
C++ is designed and developed by Bjarne Stroustrup in the year 1985.
|Performance-based on Nature Of Language||The C programming language is a structure oriented programming language.
Performance is slow compared to C++.
|C++ language is an object-oriented programming language and it supports some important features like Polymorphism, Abstract Data Types, Encapsulation, etc.
Since it supports object-orientation, speed is faster compared to the C language.
|Point Of Emphasis||C language gives importance to the steps or procedures and those are followed to solve a problem.||C++ language gives importance to the objects and not the steps or procedures like C language.|
|Performance-Based on Driven language||C language is being procedural programming and hence it is function-driven language.||C++ language is being object-oriented programming, it is an object driven language.|
|Performance-Based on Data Types||C language supports all the basic and built-in data types. C does not support Boolean or String data types.||C++ language support String or Boolean data types.
C++ supports both user-defined and built-in data types.
|Compatibility With Exception Handling and Overloading||Exception Handling and Overloading does not support in the C language.
But Exception Handling can be achieved by some other functions in C.
|Exception Handling and Overloading features are supported in the C++ language.
Exception Handling can be achieved by using try & catch block.
|Performance-Based on Memory Allocation And Deallocation||Memory Allocation can be done using malloc() and calloc functions.
For deallocation, free() function is used.
|In C++, Memory Allocation and Deallocation can be achieved by using new and delete operators respectively.|
|Performance-Based on Mapping||In C language, it is complicated for Mapping between data and function.
It’s a disadvantage over the C++ language.
|In the C++ language, Mapping between data and function can be achieved easily by using ‘Object’.|
It is very easy and straightforward to conclude between C vs C++ Performance.
It is a known fact that C++ is an advanced and a superset of C. Hence C++ programming language possesses many new and advanced features compared to C programming language. That includes performance feature as well. But it is fact that many developers still prefer C programming language for developing/ building operating systems using C language only. Finally, the performance of applications using both C vs C++ Performance programming languages depends on the requirement/ application you won’t develop.
This has a been a guide to the top differences between C vs C++ Performance. Here we have discussed C vs C++ Performance head to head comparison, key difference along with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –