Updated November 6, 2023
Introduction to Benefits of AWS
AWS cloud platform provides several benefits to the business. Some essential benefits are ease of using and maintaining the IT infrastructure and optimizing the operational cost by pay-per-use payment model. AWS ensures the security and reliability of business data with very high-end security configurations and networks. AWS provides the box feature for resource backup and scalability. It proves the cloud-based tool known as AWS CloudWatch for resource and application monitoring. AWS provides compute instances like EC2, which can be provided for multiple operating systems such as Windows and Linux. Moreover, AWS offers serverless computing benefits through its service known as AWS Lambda.
Top 9 Benefits of AWS
Amazon Web Services provides various features that make it different from other firms. They are:
1. Mobile-Friendly Access
It includes two ways- AWS Mobile SDK and AWS Mobile Hub.
- AWS Mobile SDK: AWS Mobile SDK supports Android, React Native, IOS, Unity, Web, etc. With the help of this feature, it is possible to access different Amazon Web Services such as Lambda, DynamoDB, and AWS S3 (Simple Storage Service).
- AWS Mobile Hub: This Mobile Hub supports you in accessing the appropriate and compatible features for your application. It is possible to develop, test and monitor the application using the present console. Some other features, like message push notifications and content delivery, are also provided by the AWS Mobile Hub.
2. Easy to Use
Compared to other platforms, AWS provides a user-friendly platform that a beginner can use. It is possible because of the clear documentation and convenient console AWS provides. Additionally, AWS Training is readily available for those looking to enhance their proficiency and maximize the benefits of this powerful platform.
Amazon Web Services provides a standard and secure infrastructure where the user has to pay only for the services they use. It provides a wide range of services for security. Identity Access and Management (IAM) is one such service where the admin manages access to users for using AWS services.
Nowadays, Amazon Web Services introduced tools that assess security risks automatically. It also provides tools with encryption (both hardware and software), Transport Layer Security certificates, security against Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks, and a filter of harmful traffic against applications. Users use Amazon Inspector to automatically assess their Amazon Web Service cloud deployment and identify security threats and deficiencies. Similarly, Amazon’s private cloud helps users make the instances private or public based on their requirements.
AWS provides high storage that users can use independently or in combination. The high-storage EC2 instances can help the user if they are using any high Input/ Output applications such as Hadoop, Data warehousing, etc.
Amazon provides different storage such as :
- Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS): Block-level storage that can be used along with Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) instances helps keep the data persistent.
- Amazon Glacier: Used mainly for long-term storage where the data that is not used frequently is stored. In other words, storage for data backup and archive.
- Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3): Helps provide storage through a web-based interface.
- Amazon Elastic File System: This storage is used for workloads and applications in the public cloud of Amazon Web Services.
- Storage Transport Devices: For business purposes, Amazon provides certain storage devices, such as Snowmobile and Snowball, that can be transported from one place to another. Snowmobile transfers large amounts of data by trucks that hold numerous hard drives to store petabytes of data. Snowball helps transfer data in and out of AWS with a cost of 1/5th less than that of transferring through the internet.
5. Pay per use
Unlike other platforms, Amazon web services do not make the user pay for all the services on the platform. It charges the user only for the resources, storage, and bandwidth they use. The essential feature of business sectors attracting AWS compared to others is considering this fact.
6. Multi-Region Backups
Amazon provides several regions where the user can keep their data and instances. These regions include availability zones insulated from failure in other zones. The main purpose of Multi-Region Backups is to launch the EC2 instances in any location to protect the user’s applications. If the zones are in the same region, network latency and cost will be low. Regions can be in separate geographic areas, counties, etc. Users can choose the region according to their convenience. In addition, Cloud Ranger (third-party service) automatically backups the data in different regions.
7. Reliability and Scalability
Amazon offers an infrastructure that scales based on usage. Due to this, the usage cost can be low if the user scales down the instances used. It is already mentioned under the feature ‘pay per use’. The scalability feature has become the greatest solution for large businesses since they do not need additional resources if they run out of storage.
There are several databases Amazon offers that are managed by them itself. Some of them are shown in the table below.
|Type of Database||Applications||AWS Service|
|Document||User profiling, Content management||Amazon DocumentDB|
|Key-Value||Gaming applications, Web apps of high traffic||Amazon DynamoDB|
|Relational||Traditional, ERP, E-Commerce||Amazon Redshift, Amazon Aurora, Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS)|
|Graph||Recommendation Engine, Fraud detection||Amazon Neptune|
|Ledger||Banking transactions, supply chains||Amazon Quantum Ledger Database (QLDB)|
|In-Memory||Geospatial applications, Caching, game leaderboards||Amazon ElastiCache for Redis, Amazon ElastiCache for Memcached|
|Time Series||Industrial telemetry, IoT, DevOps||Amazon Timestream|
9. Management and Monitoring
To manage and monitor, Admin can perform tasks such as –
- Track the resource and application health, cloud resource configuration
- Automate infrastructure configuration
- Retain user activities
All these are done with the help of specific tools.
Amazon Web Services is a cloud-based platform that offers several useful features in many fields. Pay-per-use, Scalability, and Location backups are some of the main features that make it different from other firms. The benefits of AWS are addressed in the above section in detail.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Benefits of AWS” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.