Introduction to iPhone SE
iPhone SE is the most powerful 4-inch phone ever Apple has unveiled. It is a low-cost iPhone series model designed as well as marketed by Apple Inc. Although rumours of new upcoming iPhone device (termed iPhone SE / iPhone 5SE) started right from January 2016. It was officially announced by Apple on March 21st 2016 at its headquarters located in Cupertino.
The slogan for iPhone SE is “A big step for small” which itself states company is focusing in improving earlier iPhone size models after the success of big size iPhone models (iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S plus). It has been quoted that SE in iPhone SE model stands for Special Edition.
This will be made available from March 31st 2016 in select countries. iPhone SE was made 4available in India from April 8th 2016. Apple has launched this model as a replacement for existing iPhone 5S model. It also serves as a low-cost entry from variant iPhone models. It will be priced at US$399 for 16 GB and US$499 for 64 GB in United States.
iPhone SE:- Everything We Know
A detailed explanation is given below:
1. Technical Specifications
Let’s see detailed technical specification for iPhone SE.
- Size capacity: It will be available with 16 GB and 64 GB variant; and 2GB of RAM.
- Finishes available: The finishes available will be similar to the iPhone 6S models i.e. Silver, Gold, Space Gray and Rose Gold.
- Display: It will feature a 4-inch (diagonal) screen with a retina display and LED-backlit widescreen along with Multi-Touch display. The pixel resolution of iPhone SE is 1136*640 at 326 ppi pixel density. The contrast ratio will be 800:1 and maximum brightness as 500 cd/m2. The display will contain fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating. It provides support for display of multiple languages as well as characters together.
- iSight Camera: iSight is the name that Apple uses for the rear-facing cameras on Apple devices such as iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. It has iSight camera with 12 megapixels and also supports Live Photos (brings photos to life by capturing a few seconds of video when you are taking a photo on your iPhone). It has Autofocus with True Tone flash mode. It supports Panorama which is up to 63 megapixels. Photos captured has Auto HDR, five-element lens, Sapphire crystal lends cover, burst mode, timer mode, Hybrid IR filter, improved local tone mapping, improved noise reduction, Backside illumination sensor, Auto image stabilisation, f/2.2 aperture, photo geotagging and face detection.
- Video Recording : It supports 4K video recording with 30 FPS (frames-per-second), 1080p HD video recording (this comes with 30 FPS/60 FPS configuration), 720p HD video recording (which is at 30 FPS). It has also got True tone flash, autofocus video, Time-lapse video with stabilisation, improved noise reduction, cinematic video stabilisation, Slow motion video It also has 3X zoom, playback zoom, Video geotagging and Face detection. While recording 4K videos you can even take 8-megapixel still photos.
- FaceTime HD Camera: It has 2 megapixels photos, a Backside illumination sensor, Retina flash, 720p HD video recording, f/2.4 aperture, Auto HDR for photos, Exposure control. It has also improved local tone mapping, Face detection, Timer mode and Burst mode.
- Weight and Dimensions: It has weight of 3.99 ounces (i.e. 113 grams) with 87*2.31*0.30 inch in dimension (height*width*breadth format).
- Touch ID: It has a Fingerprint sensor built right into the Home button.
- Chip: It has got advanced A9 chip. This chip has a 64-bit architecture and has Embedded M9 motion coprocessor.
- Location: It has got Assisted GPS as well as GLONASS, 11 Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, digital compass, NFC, Cellular and iBeacon micro-location built into it.
- Carriers: It is tied-up with carriers such as AT&T, Sprint, T-mobile and Verizon with special offers in US.
- Apple Pay: It supports Apple Pay feature i.e. you can pay at select outlets that support Apple Pay right from iPhone using Touch ID. You can even receive and redeem rewards using rewards cards that Apple offers.
- Audio/Video Calling: It supports FaceTime audio, VoLTE (i.e. Voice over LTE), Wi-Fi calling. It also supports FaceTime calling over Wi-Fi or cellular.
- Audio Playback: It supports Audio formats such as AAC (bit rate from 8 to 320 Kbps), HE-AAC, Protected AAC (audio that are from iTunes Store), MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, AIFF, Apple Lossless, and The audio playback has got user-configurable maximum volume limit.
- TV and Video: It has got feature such as AirPlay mirroring, videos and audios as well as photos out to Apple TV (2nd generation or higher). It also supports video formats such as H.264 video (with maximum up to 4K), 30 fps i.e. frames per second, stereo audio in .mp4, .mov as well as .m4vfile formats; High Profile level 4.2; Motion JPEG, MPEG-4 videos and PCM stereo audio which comes in .AVI file format.
- Operating system: It has a by-default iOS 9 (version 9.3) mobile operating system which is considered as the world’s most advanced mobile OS. Some prominent feature of iOS 9 are AirDrop, AirPlay, AirPrint, Handoff, HomeKit, iCloud Keychain, Night Shift, Spotlight Search.
- Built-in apps: It comes along with several built-in apps which are the same as that present with earlier iPhone model. These built-in apps are an important part of your iPhone device experience. This model is efficiently designed so that it uses less than 150MB of storage. Apart from built-in apps that are few free Apps from Apple that are preinstalled on the iPhone SE models with a capacity of 64 GB. Some of these apps are iTunes U, Numbers, Apple Store, iMovie, Keynote, Trailers, Pages, Remote, GarageBand and Music Memos.
- Siri: It has in-built Siri which can be used to send messages, set reminders using your voice. You can get proactive suggestions, use device hands-free, listen songs using Siri.
- Power and Battery: It has a talk time of upto 14 hours on 3G, internet use of upto 12 hours on 3G and 13 hours on LTE/Wi-Fi. It has video playback of upto 13 hours, audio playback upto 50 hours and standby time that can last upto 10 days. It has got Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery. You can charge iPhone SE via USB to computer system or you can use power adapter.
- Sensors: It has Touch ID fingerprint sensor (which is used to unlock device and pay via Apple Pay), accelerometer (which is used to determine orientation), proximity sensor (which is used to detect nearby objects), three-axis gyro (which is used to determine navigation) and ambient light sensor (which is used to control brightness).
- Network : It supports GSM / CDMA / 3G / HSPA+ / EVDO / LTE / LTE Advanced network technology.
- Headphones: It comes with Apple EarPods along with user guide in box. EarPods comes with a Remote and Mic which can be used for communication. It also has Storage as well as travel case for the EarPods.
- Mail Attachments Support: The mail attachments that are supported are viewable document types shown in below table.
|Images||.jpg, .tiff, .gif|
|Microsoft Word||.doc and .docx|
|Web Pages||.htm and .html|
|Preview and Adobe Acrobat|
|Rich Text Format||.rtf|
|Microsoft Excel||.xls and .xlsx|
|Others||.zip and .ics|
- Languages : Below table shows languages that are supported by iPhone SE
|English||Australia, Canada, UK and U.S|
|Chinese||Simplified, Traditional, Traditional Hong Kong|
|Spanish||Latin America, Mexico, Spain|
|German, Italian, Slovak, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese.||Other parts if world|
|Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Japanese, Korean,Romanian, Russian, Finnish, Greek.|
|Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish,Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian.|
- SIM card: It has Nano-SIM slots. It is not compatible with existing micro-SIM cards.
- iPhone and Environment: Apple takes care of environment while designing Apple devices. A complete product life cycle approach has been taken into consideration in order to determine impact on environment. It is specially designed with the below features in order to reduce the impact on the environment:
- LED-backlit display are Mercury-free
- Recyclable aluminium enclosure
- Brominated flame retardant-free
- Display glass that is Arsenic-free
2. iPhone SE guide
Let’s see the guide for iPhone SE device.
The image 3 shows detailed guide for iPhone SE device.
- Touch ID Sensor is present as centre circle button at bottom of device. This acts as home for your device. You can even pay using Apple Pay using this Touch ID sensor. The iPhone device that is locked and uses fingerprint can be unlocked by placing finger on Touch ID sensor.
- Volume Up/Down button is present on right side of device which is circular in shape. The plus symbol on button indicates Volume Up button whereas minus symbol on button indicates Volume down button.
- Ring/Silent button is present on right side of device just above the volume button and is flat rectangular shape. You can set your device in silent mode by pushing this button down whereas in ring mode by pushing it up.
- On/Off and Sleep/Wake button is a single button present on top of your iPhone SE device. This is single button with multiple functionality. You can set your device in sleep mode by pressing this button once and in wake mode by pressing it again. If you want to switch off device then press and hold this button until switch-off message appears on screen. If your device is switch-off then you can switch-on by press and hold this button until apple logo appears on screen.
- 5 mm headphone jack is present at the bottom of iPhone SE device. This is used to connect your Apple EarPods which can be used to listen audio or to communicate using Mic and Remote.
- Microphone is present next to headphone jack which is used to send your voice electronically over cellular network.
- Lightning connector slot can be used for multi-purpose. It can be used to charge your device using an 8-pins dock connector or to connect data-cable in order to access on Macbook or other device.
- Built-in speaker is present at bottom of iPhone SE on extreme right side. This is used as a speaker which doesn’t require use of EarPods. For eg. Listening to audio while playing movie or keeping your iPhone SE in speaker mode during on-going call conversation.
Cases are accessory that provides protection to iPhone from damages in addition to boosting looks of device. These are available right from Apple stores as an accessory. It is also available from different vendors that offer wide variety of designs.
Apple has designed an leather case which is available in two variant color i.e. black and midnight blue. The image 6 shows how it appears when used with iPhone SE leather case – midnight blue. It is available in Apple Store for $39.00 in US.
Cases that are available for iPhone SE are compatible with all models of iPhone 5 series i.e. iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5c and iPhone SE.
Other cases such as clear case is available in market which is very simple in design as shown in image 7. Cases that are particularly designed from Spigen are quite popular in todays market. They are much more attractive with elegant designs.
4. Pros and Cons
- It has great performance as compared with rest of iPhone 5 models
- It has great battery life for an iPhone
- It is low cost i.e. starts at $399 in U.S.
- It has too small screen size
- It has old front camera as well as Touch ID sensor
- The base model available has only 16 GB of internal storage
This has been a guide to iPhone SE. Here we have discussed a brief overview and top 4 things you need to know in iPhone SE respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –