Difference Between WhatsApp vs Signal
Head-to-Head Comparison Between WhatsApp vs. Signal (Infographics)
Below are the top 13 differences between WhatsApp vs. Signal:
Key Difference Between WhatsApp vs. Signal
Let us discuss some of the major key differences between WhatsApp vs Signal:
- WhatsApp provides various chat features like sending media, location, contacts, etc. Signal also has the same chatting features.
- WhatsApp collects the user data, including the Device ID, Phone Number, Contacts, Location, Email, Advertising Data, Purchase History, Payment Info, and other user content. On the Other hand, Signal collects Phone numbers and no other personal data of the user. Hence it is more secure than WhatsApp.
- WhatsApp and Signal both allow voice calling and video calling options. To unsend the message in WhatsApp, it has a “delete for everyone” option. Also recently launched the “disappearing messages” feature. Signal also has the “disappearing messages” feature in which users can set time from 5 seconds to 7 days.
- On WhatsApp, users can create groups for Up to 256 participants. It has added a group video call feature apart from the voice calls, whereas a Group can have Up to 100 participants. Group video calling allows up to 5 members.
- WhatsApp allows users to share videos up to 16 MB and other files up to 100MB. On Signal, users can share files and media up to 100MB.
- WhatsApp has a web version that allows you to log in to your account using the phone app. After that, you still get all the app’s functionality on the WhatsApp website. It also has a desktop app. on the other hand; Signal does not have a web version but a desktop app.
- On WhatsApp, End-to-End encryption is provided for chats, calls, and media. However, now Facebook-owned companies can read users’ data. However, there are no other advanced security features like Signal. It provides encryption to messages, calls, and the metadata of the chat. To further protect user privacy, Signal has a “Sealed Sender” option as well as Relay Calls feature wherein calls are re-routed via Signal servers.
- Users can update their status for 24 Hours on WhatsApp, where users can upload pictures or 30-second videos. On the contrary, on Signal, there is no status feature provided as of now.
- WhatsApp has a payment feature called WhatsApp Pay. Whereas Signal doesn’t have any payments feature.
WhatsApp vs Signal Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison between WhatsApp vs. Signal:
|1||On WhatsApp users can create group for upto 256 participants. It has added group video call feature apart from the voice calls||Group can have upto 100 participants. Group video calling allows up to 5 members.|
|2||Users can share videos up to 16 MB and other files up to 100MB.||Users can share Files and media up to 100MB.|
|3||WhatsApp has a web version that allows you to log in to your account using the phone app. After that, you still get all the app’s functionality on the WhatsApp website. It also has a desktop app.||It does not have a web version, but it has a desktop app.|
|4||WhatsApp provides online and offline backups, and to backup chats and media, users can choose their Google account.||Signal does not allow companies drive or Cloud service. It offers only local backups.|
|5||Users can update status for 24 hours. Where user can upload a picture or 30 second videos.||There is no status feature provided as of now.|
|6||End-to-End encryption is provided for chats, calls and media. However now facebook, owned companies can read users data.||It provides encryption to messages, calls and the metadata of the chat.|
|7||There are no other advanced security features like Signal.||To further protect user privacy, Signal has a “Sealed Sender” option, and Relay Calls feature wherein calls are re-routed via Signal servers.|
|8||Users can delete message within 51 minutes.||Users can not delete a message within 3 hours.|
|9||WhatsApp collects the user data, which consists of device ID, Phone Number, Contacts, Location, Email, Advertising Data, Purchase History, Payment Info, and other user content.||Signal collects Phone numbers and not other personal data of the user.
|10||WhatsApp provides no Passcode feature, but users can use third-party software to set a password. But it provides a fingerprint lock feature, and two-factor authentication (2FA).||Signal supports fingerprint and PIN lock, block screenshots, 2FA, and the user can automatically blur faces before sending.|
|11||WhatsApp does not support the Incognito keyboard.||Signal supports Incognito Keyboard.|
|12||There is WhatsApp Business app where so many businesses are already there.||There is no special feature for businesses.|
|13||It has payment feature named WhatsApp Pay.||Signal doesn’t have any payments feature.|
In this article, we have seen a detailed comparison between WhatsApp and Signal based on all features. You can choose any of them based on your requirements and privacy preferences.
This is a guide to WhatsApp vs. Signal. Here we have discussed the WhatsApp vs. Signal key differences with infographics and a comparison table, respectively. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –