Definition of Spring Boot
Spring Boot can be defined as an open source, JAVA-based framework which is used to create microservice developed by Pivotal Team, Spring Boot is very applicable to build production ready and an unequaled spring application.
It has been already made clear, what spring boot is? However, though we have already mentioned about what spring boot is, a question that remains is, what is micro service?
Micro Service can be defined as an architecture that enables developers to develop, organize and serves individually and independently. Each of the services which are running has its own specific function and process, by thus the end result being, outputting a frivolous model that supports business applications.
- Easy Deposition
- Saving time as it reduces the production time
- Compatible with Containers
- Minimum configuration
- Simple scalability
Micro Service offers any developer the aforesaid advantages.
Now that we have understood Micro Service, let us dig deep to know more about Spring Boot. The main purpose of Spring Boot is to ease the process of creating production-grade spring-powered applications and services, given that minimum fuss is created. Putting Spring Boot in simple words, we can say that it is a framework developed by the ‘Spring Team’ that aids in easing the bootstrapping and creation of any novel Spring Applications. It usually functions by providing defaults for the codes and annotation configuration that will help in quickly starting any new Spring projects in real-time. Furthermore, it also follows the ‘Opinionated Defaults Configuration’ strategy in order to avoid a lot of boilerplate code and other configurations that were meant to improve the Unit Test, Development, and Integration Test procedures.
Features of Spring Boot
The Spring Boot program has been designed to achieve the below-mentioned goals.
- Avoiding complex XML configurations,
- To easily develop ready to use Spring applications.
- It visions to reduce the time taken to develop and run the developed applications.
- It foresees to offer an easier way to start the applications. Though the above-mentioned indicators are the distinguishing features of spring Boot, the benefits and if it does not end here.
- One can choose Spring Boot because of the flexibility in configuring XML configurations, Java Beans, and Database Transaction.
- It gives a strong batch processing and even manages REST endpoints of reduced time. Being automated gives Spring boot an upper hand as no manual configurations are needed.
- It is able to offer automated spring applications.
- It can ease the dependency and comes with Embedded Servlet Container.
Advantages of Spring Boot
Below-mentioned are some of the advantages of Spring Boot:
- The primary advantage is spring boot offers an effortless way to create spring-based applications using JAVA or Groovy.
- The greatest advantage is the reduced time. Spring Boot minimizes the time spent in developing and increasing productivity.
- Also, it helps in reducing all the manual work of writing annotations, boilerplate codes and XML configurations.
- It has made the integration of Spring Boot Application with its Spring Ecosystem which includes Spring Security, Spring Data, Spring JDBC and Spring ORM easy.
- By following the ‘Opinionated Defaults Configuration’, it also reduces the efforts of developers.
- Developers have easy access to Embedded HTTP servers such as Jetty, Tomcat and also easily test the web applications effortlessly.
- Spring Boot gives easy access to Command Line Interface which has made the developing and testing of Spring Boot applications developed with Java or Groovy agile.
- Alongside, it also provides a lot of plugins which aids in effortless development and testing of Spring Boot application build with the help of tools like Gradle and Maven.
- Lastly, it provides a plugin that has made working with embedded and in-memory database very smoothly and readily.
Disadvantages of Spring Boot
Almost perfect, yet Spring Boot has one limitation. The only problem lies in the time consumed in the process of converting the legacy or already existing Spring Framework projects to Spring Boot Applications.
4.5 (1,236 ratings)
How does this Technology help you Grow in your Career?
Now, this is a hot topic among many JAVA developers are now thinking for their career option. Having broadened the horizons of this career, aspiring developers can choose any career mentioned below.
1. Spring JAVA Developer: One who picks this profession will have the below-mentioned responsibilities.
- Developing and designing applications.
- Ensuring and delivering maximum performance.
- Able to create efficient and well-structured code.
- Playing his/her part in all phases of SDLC.
2. Spring Application Developer: The below-mentioned is the roles and responsibilities of a Spring Application Developer.
- Having a strong understanding of the requirements of clients.
- Good Communication skills and collaborating with the development team and set conditions for the application which has to be developed.
- A thorough understanding of codes and ability to write high-quality testable codes and also creating the documentation of these codes.
- Ability to perform unit and integration test.
- An eye for the details and efficiency in debugging and troubleshooting the developed application.
- Must know how to create prototypes.
3. Tech Lead in Spring: The key responsibilities are –
- Must have problem-solving skills and agile should be in developing solutions and approaches to any technical problem.
- Along with developing the solutions, he/she must also design and optimize these solutions.
- Ability to work in a team and aid the team members to build an error-free system.
- Mentoring and providing guidance to team members when necessary.
4. Senior Software Engineer: The key responsibilities of a Senior Software Engineer include:
- Team working skills, they should be able to get along in a team.
- They should have a business mind and hence should always look for strategies and plans to scale up the business and its future requirements.
- Deep knowledge about working with automation and other workflows.
By now, it has been very clear that Spring Boot has simplified the task of developing an application with JAVA. It aims to be a frontrunner in this ever-evolving and expanding application developing arena. Focusing more on developing new configurations to the exciting ones, it takes an opinionated approach. Thus, it gives great relief to the developers.
This has been a guide to What is Spring Boot? Here we discussed the Basic concepts, Definition, Features and the Advantages of Spring Boot. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –