Introduction to pCloud
The software available as a personal cloud space on a desktop or any device that stores files, folders, images, videos, etc. are called pCloud. pCloud is installed in the systems with the help of another application pCloud drive that creates a secondary storage space other than the local storage space. Here, we can store our files or create files in the cloud storage that displays changes in the local system instantly. Any number of devices can be synchronized with the same pCloud account that can be used to make changes to files in the system.
Why do we Need pCloud?
Given below shows why do we need pCloud:
- Storage: We can store 10GB files for free and there is 2TB file storage for a lifetime. This makes pCloud satisfying among users compared to other cloud storage. If we need to synchronize any folder from one of our devices to pCloud, the folder structure remains intact irrespective of the changes in the content of the folder. If we would like to store the files without any encryption, pCloud allows us to do so and this facility is not available in most of the cloud storage.
- Media: Rather than helping to store the media in the cloud storage, it also helps to install and use media extensions in the cloud storage. This helps the users to store the media and play it through cloud storage without any synchronization issues. The user interface of pCloud is very interactive and helpful that even beginners can use pCloud without any confusion. Colorful interfaces help users to locate all the features and use them whenever needed.
How does pCloud Work?
- We should register in pCloud with an email account or Facebook account that creates our own space in pCloud. If we are using it for free, we will get up to 10GB of storage space. The premium account offers 500GB storage and the premium plus offers 2000GB storage space in the system. Also, this cloud offers to pay in crypto coins. Once we open pCloud, we can see a sync option where we can sync our local folders. We can add or make changes in these folders and save them to cloud storage that can be made available even while we are offline. If we need to add files to pCloud, we can drag the files from local and drop them in the cloud storage folder that is synced with local and is stored in the cloud.
- If we would like to upload files to the cloud, we can do file or folder upload directly from the internet that makes the files available in the cloud and then through synchronization in our system. We also have remote upload where we can download videos or any media directly to the cloud storage and use it whenever needed.
- We can share files with others with the help of invite links of pCloud storage or sending links of files or folders to them directly. This makes them view the files and download it to their local. Also, if needed, we can provide download or upload links to others which helps them to retrieve files into their system.
Advantages and Disadvantages of pCloud
Given below are the advantages and disadvantages mentioned:
- If we are working on a file and forgot to save the same, we can track the history of files for up to 30 days and locate it in the cloud. Also, if we lose files in our local due to a virus attack, we can retrieve the same from pCloud as it saves five replicas of our files in three different storage locations.
- If we need to store any sensitive information in pCloud, we can do so with the help of crypto pass key. The files will be encrypted from our devices first and then transferred into pCloud. This makes the system store files from any other people. Only those with the crypto pass key can view the files and makes amendments to them same. Security is made important in pCloud files.
- We can consider pCloud drive as an online hard drive in our system where we can store files even from other cloud storage and make them available whenever needed. Also, the cloud application in mobile phones is user-friendly that helps to store any files or media with ease. We can archive the data present in the cloud if we do not use the data always. Retrieving the data might be costly but if we store the data for a long time, it does not incur such charges.
- If the network of pCloud is not good, it creates issues while syncing files and this makes files get corrupted in cloud storage. Also, we don’t have proper support if the files got corrupted in the cloud storage while synchronizing them. We should restart the entire process and make the files in place. Another disadvantage to be considered is that we need to pay for the crypto pass key to make the files secure in the cloud. Also, if we need a history of files to be available for more than 30 days, extended history versions are available at extra cost.
pCloud can be used by individuals who would wish to store their files with secure encryption. Or anyone who wants to save the files in the archive and make sure that it is stored with extra security. Small companies use pCloud to store the files and share them among the employees. Less cost and easy to use make it attractive for small-scale companies. If a file needs to be secured among a group of people, pCloud helps them with the crypto pass key. With a one-time payment, we can use pCloud for the lifetime that makes them set apart from other cloud storage. Also, encryption of files solely depends on our needs that if we need to encrypt, we can do so that prevents any other users to view the same files in the cloud storage unless we give permission to them. ISO certification makes them stand apart from their rivals with their quality of services.
This is a guide to What is pCloud? Here we discuss the introduction, need, working, advantages and disadvantages respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –