Introduction to Informatica
Informatica is a used ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) tool that is used in the applications of Data warehouse for the purpose of retrieving and analyzing the data from different types of data sources. ETL was developed by a USA based Software Company Informatica where its’ headquarters is located in California, United States. Informatica Company was founded in the month of February 1993. The different types of core products from Informatica are being developed and released in the market such as Cloud Management for Enterprise uses and Data extracting tools such as ETL etc. These tools perform multiple operations such as Data Transformation, Data Extraction, Data Management, Information Lifecycle management, etc. ETL tools can handle any type of data formats mostly.
Informatica PowerCenter is broadly employed for transformation, extraction, and ETL loading tool utilized in developing warehouses of enterprise data. The element inside Informatica PowerCenter assisting in obtaining data from its origin, modifying it according to the pre-requisite of the business and storing it in the destined warehouse of data.
Informatica is a powerful ETL or Data Integration Tool which is often called Informatica PowerCenter. It is the development of a software organization, which contributes to products of data integration. Moreover, it provides products for master data management, Data Quality, data replica, data virtualization, ETL, data masking, etc. Informatica PowerCenter ETL or Data Integration tool is the extensively utilized tools and in the general term when used as Informatica, it relates to a tool of Informatica PowerCenter for ETL. Informatica tool has the different steps of processes such as Extract, Transform and Load which can be described as below:
- Extract: This is the first step in the process of the ETL process in the Informatica tool which performs the process of obtaining data sets from the configured data source. This will then be loaded into the data warehouse. This process can also be called Capture.
- Transform: The second step in the process of ETL is Transform which will be done from one format to another format which will be supported by the structure of the data warehouse that will be stored into.
- Load: This is the third step in the ETL process which will perform the operations of storing the data into Database by creating indexes in the format of data warehouse structure after applying all the required transformations.
The different features of what is Informatica are as below:
- It allows the safe exchange of data in Business to Business and complete end to end visibility.
- It extracts data from different kinds of databases with different types of data such as Structured, Unstructured and Semi-Structured data and transforms it into required form and stores into the target databases for the customer requirements.
- It has the feature of parallel processing which is defined as the process of computing the execution of multiple processes simultaneously.
- It provides the reusability of data, re-running the data and recovery of data.
- It gives accurate deliverables and provides automation of deployments.
- It provides high security to the data stored.
- It provides recovery in the case of data disaster moments and customized access permissions.
- It has a centralized cloud server that provides high security with easy accessibility and tracking data facility.
- It provides high visibility in case of presentations for the visual data.
- It provides easy data maintenance and data monitoring.
Why do we need Informatica?
Informatica continues to the view wherever there is a data system accessible and at the backend, you will require to perform specific data operations. It could also be such as picking up of data, altering the data, etc. established on a particular collection of rules or easy storing of bulk data of one system to another.
Informatica offers a vibrant assortment of features like operations at row level on data, integration of data from multiple structured, semi-structured or unstructured systems, data operation scheduling. It additionally consists of the characteristic of metadata, so the data regarding the operations of process and data are also protected.
Why it is used?
The conventional application for Informatica is:
- The company uses it to transfer from the current legacy system such as mainframe to the latest system of database. Consequently, the transfer of its existent data into the system could be carried out.
- Companies establishing their warehouses of data will need a tool of ETL to transfer the data to the warehouse from the Production system.
- The assimilation of information from several different systems such as numerous databases and system based on files could be completed utilizing Informatica.
- It could be utilized as a tool for cleansing data.
It is beneficial more than it provides a broad collection of product versions. Hence, consumers could choose a particular edition based on requisite. Informatica is consistently emphasized as a product of the integration of data product leader in the listing of Gartner Magic Quadrant.
4.5 (2,742 ratings)
Examples of Informatica
Their different applications in the area of Data Integration in the case of Informatica tool and below are the examples:
Example: The different steps in the process of ETL Informatica are as below in every case:
- Create a Source Definition.
- Create a Target Definition.
- Design transformation rules.
- Create all the mappings.
- Create a session for each mapping.
- Create a data connection.
- Create workflow.
- Start the process of a workflow.
The above process will always follow in the case of almost every ETL process which is a kind of generalized theme.
The different applications of Informatica ETL tool are:
- It helps large organizations in the industry to store the data into many kinds of physical repositories such as data warehouses.
- It used for reporting, analysis and pictorial representation of large data for easier presentation.
- It has Data governance, data warehousing, data migration, data replication, and data synchronization applications.
- It has Integrated Competency Centers and Matter Data Management facilities.
- It acts as a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) feature in terms of data exchange features.
- It provides great services in the area of Business Intelligence applications.
- ETL has a vast number of applications in the area of Data Warehouse where it transforms the data into different kinds of formats in order to support the existing data warehouse design structures or data storage structures.
- It provides integration of different heterogeneous systems such as multiple databases including file-based systems as well.
- It can also be used as a cleansing tool in case of cleaning the data.
- It also provides the migration of data from different technological or hardware streams.
Real-time application of Informatica
For a long time, companies have backed their process with an IT system host, several of them particular to compartmentalize or the departmental requirements. As the situation of the market and company procedures envolve into more complicated although, the systems could not operate any longer in siloes. The organization’s success rate depends mostly on its capability to communicate evenly and in a convenient manner. The on-time organizations assure that uniform, convenient communication by choosing IT solutions and business and high-grade methods that constantly provide crucial business procedures to reach certain, reliable, accessible data regarding clients, partners, and products. This permits the enterprises in real-time to respond actively, stabler, and more affordable to emerging consumer demands, varying market circumstances and evolving competitive risks.
There is three significant utilization of the Informatica Power Centre. They also comprise Informatica PowerCenter Server, Informatica Power Center Client Tools, and Informatica PowerCenter Repository. Its consumer tools are created to assist the developer of Informatica to handle the following.
- Mapping and Runtime properties
- Manage Repository
- Monitor Session Executions
- Report Metadata
Advantages of Informatica
Essential benefits of Informatica are mentioned below:
- Effective interfaces of GUI for Session monitoring, Job Scheduling, ETL Design, Debugging, Administration, etc.
- Queued Message
- Third-party application data
- Mainframe and file-based data
- XML and unstructured data
- Accessibility to a broad variety of data sources of the company
- Relational data
- Could simply acclimate and merge with provided data handling utility through the vendor.
- Load stabilization and parallel processing
- The web-based sole point of authority for an application broad enterprise assuring a great quality of protection with diminished administration expense
- Grid choice gives an affordable answer to suffice the high demand processing with linear scalability and high accessibility.
Disadvantages of Informatica
When you are browsing several webpages to locate the drawbacks of Informatics you might not be able to find any as there are very few drawbacks. This section comprises information that is never more shown on any other article. Below you might a few disadvantages:
- Workflow Monitor lack of sorting
- In the workflow monitor, there is no choice to separate out folders that are required or needed
- In the repository manager, it not possible to move an object from one folder to another
- Further, you cannot import XML export files
- Also, it includes Mappings and workflows development is also not possible
How this technology will help you in career growth?
This technology will assist you in your career growth you can anticipate to get selected as a beginner as a Developer of Informatica ETL and then work arduous to get promoted to the position of a Senior or Lead Developer.
Subsequent seven to ten years of experience, you can advance to the position of Informatica Admin or Architect. Additionally, the other BI and Data Warehouse abilities could also provide you with an added benefit and assist you to become a BI or ETL Architect or Data Architect.
As there are different and multiples areas of applications in the field of Informatica ETL tool and also the average utilization of ETL tools itself contain Informatica as the major one. This clearly indicates that there is greater utilization of Informatica tool in the area of ETL which has more than hundreds of tools available in the market currently. There are huge numbers of tools including third-party tools as well for the data warehouse applications with different functionalities and options to handle datasets in the Informatica tool. There are multiple data source features to transform or map after loading the data into the Informatica tool. The Informatica tool has extensive applications in the area of Data Analysis and Data handling which provides greater benefits like Data Security and reducing data redundancy in the shortest execution time.
Informatica is accessible for every platform which is popularly used. It provides cloud-based services so that with minimum structure an industry can utilize this tool. Informatica provides real-time Big data edition, Business to business data integration (B2B), data integration, Master Data Management, Web services integration, and connectors for Salesforce and social media.
This has been a guide to What Is Informatica. Here We have discussed basic concepts about Informatica along with different applications and examples. You can also go through our other suggested articles –