Introduction to DirectX
DirectX is a collection of different type of API where API stands for application programming interface and works for many type of task of multimedia platform as well as for game programming and other digital media fields. It is a product of Microsoft windows and launched on September 30, 1995 so it has lot of good features which makes it popular among number of game programmers and also among CAD and CAM users. You will notice all the applications offers by DirectX has their name started with word ‘Direct’ such as Direct Draw, Direct3D, DirectSound, DirectPlay, DirectMusic and so on.
Why do we Need DirectX?
- DirectX has number of products that can use for different types of purposes. Lets see about one of its product which is Direct3D and it is 3D graphics API which base on DirectX technology.
- It is wide use by game developers for the development of video games for Microsoft windows and Xbox if line of consoles of it.
- Not only for game programming but this Direct3D API is also used for visualization as well as graphics-related tasks and these tasks include designing elements of CAD & CAM engineering.
- Being mostly used API of DirectX publically, Direct3D also known with DirectX name.
Working of DirectX
- Direct3D of DirectX then it works with coding for completion of different type of task related to the game as well as graphics designing of different sections.
- The Software Development kit of DirectX contains runtime libraries that can distribute binary again and again which meant it has redistributable from of binary and accomplishes documentation and headers for use in coding.
- DXGI which is enumerates, adapters and monitors manage swap chains for Direct3D 10 and later.
- There is a DirectX Diagnostics feature which helps in diagnosis and generation of reports of components that are related to DirectX for example audio, video as well as input drivers.
- You can use APIs of DirectX on different type of Operating systems for working with them and these are Microsoft windows, Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox one, Xbox 360, Xbox series X and Series s.
Advantages and Disadvantages
All through DirectX as is most popular APIs collection of Microsoft Windows but there is both advantages and disadvantages.
DirectX offers number of good API so it has wide range of its advantage over several field and sector and lets see those plus point of it which are as follows:
- With Direct2D graphics API you can do high level of 2D designing and use its easy to handle tools for getting your desired result in your project work not only this but you can do real time 3D rendering with Direct3D. You can also do general purpose computing of graphics processing units by using DirectCompute API of it which is plus point of DirectX and give you solution on many problems of graphics processing unit.
- For editing and manipulation of Audio track or audio file you can go with both editing whether it is high level or low level of it. For high level you can go with XACT3 and for low level you can go with XAudio2 APIs of DirectX.
- Real time ray tracing is also possible with DirectX Raytracing (DXR) API of it. Some time we face problem in handling of input devices with our system so with DirectInput API you can create interfacing of different input devices such as Keyboards, game controllers, mouse, joystick and so on.
- During designing of high resolution image you may face some difficulties because it create problems in visual fidelity and spaces between lines are not properly arranged due to lack of some features.
- It might be heated up you systems panels because graphics cards designed for different API some time not work properly with some of special one.
- There is problem occurs when you want to uninstall DirectX because Windows environment doesn’t allow user to uninstall it from their computer but Microsoft has planned to resolve this problem which allow user to do this without losing their data and computer speed.
- These were some of the main pros and crops of DirectX which was necessary for analyzing this API collection deeply.
Use of DirectX
- It is most popular collection of APIs and widely used for different type of purpose.
- Its popular field is video game designing and number of game developer like it most for designing of their video game and gaming components because it offers number of good features which make their working smoother.
- It also has its impact in visualization and graphics part of different field such as components and elements of CAD and CAM engineering.
You can have any of API of its collection for fulfilling your desired task related with different fields and sectors.
This is a guide to What is DirectX? Here we discuss the introduction, need, working, advantages & disadvantages, use of DirectX. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –