Introduction to Cyber Security
Cybersecurity refers to a body of technologies, processes and practices designed to prevent an attack, damage or unauthorized access to networks, devices, programs and data. It is also can be referred to as the security of information technology. Users must understand and follow the basic data security principles, such as email attachments carefulness, strong passwords, and data backup. It is especially challenging today to enforce successful cybersecurity initiatives because more devices than people are accessible and more creative attackers.
What is Cyber Security?
Let’s understand what Cyber means. Cyber could be defined as something related to the group of computers or the internet. At the same time, security means the mechanism of protecting anything. So both the terms Cyber and security took together define the way of protecting user data from the malicious attacks that could lead to the security breach.
It is the term that has been used for a decade back after the internet started evolving like anything. By virtue of Cybersecurity, any organization or any user can secure their crucial data from hackers. Though it is concerned with hacking at some point, it actually used ethical hacking to implement Cybersecurity in any system.
It may be defined as the process to mitigate the security threats in order to protect reputation loss, business loss or monetary loss of any organization.
The term Cybersecurity clearly sought that it’s a kind of security that we offer to the system that numerous users can access using the internet or intranet. There are several tools and techniques that are used to implement it. The most important fact about securing data is that it’s not a one time process but a continuous process. The system administrator has to keep things updated in order to keep the risk low.
How does Cyber Security make working so easy?
No doubt that the mechanism of Cybersecurity makes our work very easy by ensuring the availability of the resources contained in any network. A business or organization could face a huge loss if they are not sincere about the security of their online presence. As every technology has its own way to make the work easy, so does network security. It’s the actual way to make the working easy is by ensuring that the data is confidential, following integrity, and available when needed.
What can you do with Cyber Security?
It allows us to secure our network or system, which has to work with critical or sensitive organizational data. Below are a few things that one could do using this.
- Data protection – The primary role of Cybersecurity is to protect the confidential data that is supposed to be accessed by the authorized user only.
- Enforcing CIA – The three features of Cybersecurity: Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability could be enforced by the mean of internet security.
- Mitigate breach risk – The very secure and updated system is very less biased towards security breaches. It helps the users to protect their data from getting exposed to any of malicious user or attacker.
- Ensures business continuity – It offers some plan that ensures sustainable business processes, which could keep the organization’s reputation and ensure that business should continue without any obstacle.
Working with Cyber Security
It is a broad topic and could be actually implemented in several ways. It comprises of various approaches that are worked in SOC(security operation center) to protect the organization from breaches. Below are the two different approaches to implement Cyber Security.
In defensive security, the security analyst uses tools like SIEM, IPS, IDS, Firewall, Proxy, etc. It is actually an approach where the organization protects their network from malicious traffic. It basically includes analyzing the data packet that is entering into the organization’s network to perform some task.
In offensive security, the ethical hacker tries to hack the organization’s system with the system owner’s consent to detect how the system could be compromised so that they can correct the issues with the system and protect it from being compromised by the actual attacker. The ethical hacker could do white, grey or black hat hacking based on the request and approvals. The person who does ethical hacking for any organization is also called a pentester.
It consists of numerous plus points. As the term itself says, it offers security to the network or system, and we all know that securing anything has a lot of advantages. Some of its benefits are mentioned below.
- Securing organization – Cybersecurity is all about securing an organizations network from external attacks. It makes sure that the organization should perform good and should feel safe about its important data.
- Safeguarding sensitive data – The highly confidential data like patient data, student data, and sales data have to be secure from unauthorized access so that it couldn’t be misused. It’s what we can achieve using Cybersecurity.
- Hamper unauthorized access helps us protect the system from being accessed by someone who is not authorized to access it. The data is kept highly secure and could only be fetched with authenticated users.
- Ensuring data reliability – Data or information from any organization protected by the mechanism of cybersecurity is considered highly reliable and could be used without giving a second thought.
In Cybersecurity, one has to possess a better understanding of computer network, should have an idea about TCP/IP, HTTP, and other protocols. One should have the capability to analyze the data packets entering the organization’s network. In terms of offensive security, one has to be good in the application’s source code review and understand web application architecture.
Why do we need Cyber Security?
In the above sections, we understood the role and importance of Cybersecurity in any organization. It is something that comes under the primary checklist of the businesses. We have seen its several advantages, and those give us a very precise idea about how crucial a role it plays in protecting systems from falling into security breaches.
Right audience and career growth
Folks who are curious about understanding the fundamental of Cybersecurity could learn about it through this lesson. Though it moreover an overview, we could also get a dive into understanding the basics of networking to understand it much better.
The professional who had an idea about networking could see good career growth in the field of Cybersecurity. People having good hands-on practice on a programming language like python, Java can also choose Cyber Security by keeping themselves on what they love to do i.e., coding.
Cybersecurity is a very emerging field that plays a vital role in ensuring the organization’s process continuity. It is not a single thing but comprises of several approaches or techniques. Any business must have to adopt Cybersecurity in order to protect their user’s information and keep the business moving forward in an efficient way.
This has been a guide to What is Cyber Security. Here we discussed the Basic concepts, Required skills, and Advantages of Cyber Security. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –