About Waheeda Rehman
Waheeda Rehman is one of the living Bollywood legends who have worked as a veteran actress in Hindi movies. The actress has also appeared in Tamil, Telugu, and Bengali films. Known for her charisma on screen, the actress always impressed the audience. She was once termed the most beautiful actress in Bollywood.
(Image Credit: Times of India)
Overview of Waheeda Rehman
- The lovely actress was born on February 3, 1938, in Chengalpattu, Tamil Nadu, India.
- She is an Aquarius aged 84 (as of 2022).
- Waheeda Rehman’s schooling from st. Joseph’s Convent in Visakhapatnam. She was also a trained Bharatnatyam dancer.
- Guru Trichunder Meenakshi Sundaram Pillai taught her and her sister Indian classical dances in Chennai.
- In Mumbai, she worked with Guru Jayalaxmi Alva and Doyen, as well as her prominent Guru (they train dancers and perform with them). They suggested they vocalize their rhythms and sing along with them (also known as Sollukattu).
- She wanted to become a doctor. But due to her mother’s health, she had to give up on her dreams and look for alternatives.
Quick Physical Facts
- Height- 5’5″
- Eye color – black
- Weight – 55 kg
- Hair color – White
- Waheeda Rehman belongs to a dakhini Muslim family from Tamil Nadu.
- She was the daughter of the district commissioner- Mohammed Abdul Rehman. Her father died in her teens, and the actress left with her mother.
- Her mother was Mumtaz Begum, who had three other daughters- Shahida, Sayeeda Malik, and Zahida. Zahida is the eldest one in the family.
- Waheeda Rehman is married to veteran filmmaker- Kamal Jeet. He was also an actor of his time (real name- Shashi Rekhi).
- The actress has two children (one son and one daughter). Her son’s name is Sohail Rekhi, and her daughter’s name is Kashvi Rekhi.
- Waheeda Rehman’s son married Decchen Pelden.
- She was also said to be dating Guru Dutt (a filmmaker and actor).
Quick Career Facts
Waheeda Rehman wanted to avoid becoming an actress. She was motivated to be a doctor. Just after her mother got ill, she got the chance to explore her acting skills. Since then, we have known her as one of the most beautiful Bollywood actresses!
- In a Tamil film, Waheeda Rehman made her acting debut. Jayasimha was a 1955 film.
- She got an actress role in the Tamil movie “Kaalam Maari Pochu in 1956. “
- Later, Waheeda Rehman got her first Bollywood break in 1956. The movie was called CID.
- The actress got a breakthrough and recognition from the Bollywood superhit- Guide in 1965. After the movie, Waheeda Rehman became the most-demanded actress of the 1960s and 1970s!
- Waheeda Rehman got to work with famous (and evergreen) Bollywood Actors like Dev Anand, Dilip Kumar, Kishore Kumar, Rajesh Khanna, Amitabh Bacchan, and many more.
- One of the biggest movie hits of the actress is Khamoshi. This movie was released in 1970 and starred Rajesh Khanna as the main lead actor.
- She remained on the charts until the 1970s, when her career as the main lead actress ended. She is considered a supporting actress after 1975.
- Waheeda Rehman most recently appeared in the Bollywood film Lamhe (1990). She took a break from acting after 12 years!
- She came back on screen for a Bollywood movie- Om Jai Jagadish, in 2002!
- She received a Padma Bhushan award in 2011 and the NTR of the National award in 2006. She also bagged many best actresses for the movie awards. One of her most recognized roles was in Reshma Aur Shera, Guide, & Neel Kamal.
- Waheeda Rehman also received the Lifetime Achievement award in 1994.
An iconic actress, Waheeda Rehman, always impressed the audience. She was always passionate about dancing. Her dance initiated her acting. Guru Dutt was her mentor- he trained and polished her as an actress.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Waheeda Rehman” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,