Unmerge Cells in Excel (Table of Contents)
Unmerge Cells in Excel
In Microsoft excel merging the cells are mostly used when we need to align the data over the specific column. At the same time, we can unmerge the cells to split the data. So that all the merged cells will be unmerged. Once we click on unmerge cells we will get blank spaces of the corresponding row and columns.
Unmerging the Cells in Excel:
In Microsoft excel we can find the unmerge option under the Home menu Alignment group section “Merge & center” drop down box which is shown in the below screenshot.
Shortcut for Unmerging Cell:
In Microsoft excel we have several shortcut keys for all function. For unmerging the cells excel also has a keyboard shortcut key.
The shortcut key for unmerging the cells is ALT+H+M+U.
To unmerge the cells using the short cut key follow the below steps.
- Click on the cell that you want to unmerge.
- On the keyboard hold down the ALT key and by holding the ALT key at the same time press “H” then “M” and then “U”
- Once you hit all three keys the selected merged cells will be unmerged.
Steps to Unmerge the Cells in Excel:
- First, click on the specific cell to unmerge the data. We can notice that if the cells are merged then the merge center button will be shown as enabled. In the below screenshot we can see that “Grand Total” cells are merged.
- Click on the Home Tab. Go to Alignment Group Section where we will find the Merge & Center Drop down box.
- Click on the Merge & center drop down box so that we will get a drop down list and click on the option “Unmerge Cells” which is shown in the below screenshot.
- Once you click on the unmerge cells all merged cells will get unmerged and we will get the blank spaces of the merged cells. So as we can notice the merged cell named grand total is in the center. Once we click on unmerge cells the word “Grand Total” will be in the left alignment.
In this example, we will see step by step procedure of how to unmerge all the merged cells data.
Consider the below example which shows employees appraisal form with achievement information.
In the above screenshot, we can see that Sales and Sales Efficiency row are merged. In order to unmerge the cells follow the below steps.
- First, click on the cell named Sales which is shown in the below screenshot.
- Once we click on the merged cells go to Home menu Tab there we can notice that “Merge & Center” Option is enabled.
- Click on the merge center drop down box so that we will get the unmerge cells option. So click on the fourth option called “Unmerged Cells” as shown in the below screenshot
- Once we click on the unmerged cells the selected merged cells will get unmerged and as we click on the unmerge cells the word “SALES” will align to the left position.
- As we can see in the above screenshot the selected cell got unmerged and we can see the blank cell spaces below the “Sales” Row which is shown in the below screenshot.
Using Format Menu to Unmerge Cells:
In Microsoft Excel, there are two ways to unmerge the cells, the options are as follows.
- We can unmerge the cells by simply using the excel ribbon where we can find the “Merge center” Dropbox and under that, we will select unmerge cells which is the first option.
- The second option is we can use the format menu to unmerge the cells.
In this example, we are going to see how to unmerge the cells using the format menu.
Consider the below example which shows sales person monthly call and the names are aligned as per the designation.
In this, there are four designations like SO, SR, ASM, RSM we will see how to unmerge it using the format menu as shown below.
- Click on the cell name designation called “SO” which is shown in the below screenshot.
- Next Right click on the cell and choose Format Cells option.
- After clicking on format cells option we will get the format option dialogue box as follows.
- Now choose the second Tab Called “Alignment” and we will get the below option and we can see that “Merged Cells” Checkbox is marked.
- Unmark the “Merged cells” Checkbox and click on OK as shown in the below screenshot.
- We will get the output as shown in the below figure.
In the above screenshot, we can see that the selected cells have been unmerged and we got blank spaces. Now we have filled the duplicated data in those blank spaces as SO2, SO3, SO4 to make the valid report which is highlighted in red color as shown below.
Also by using the format menu, we can unmerge the cells. The advantage of using format menu is if we unmerge the cells the alignment will not collapse as we can see in the above screenshot the data are in the center position. If we unmerge the cells and do the same using the merger center dropbox button the alignment will go to the left position.
Unmerging the cells of the entire Sheet:
In the above examples, we have seen how to unmerge the single cells and in this example, we are also going to see how to unmerge all the cells of the entire worksheet.
Consider the below example where we can see some cells are merged in the center.
We can unmerge the cells by following the below steps.
- First, select the entire sheet by using the shortcut Key “CTRL+A”
- Now go to the Home tab, Alignment option and click down the “Merge & Center” and click on the “Unmerge cells ” which are shown in the below screenshot.
- Click on the “Unmerge Cells” So that all the merged cells will get unmerged which is shown as the output below.
Things to Remember
- Before unmerging, the cells make sure that you have made a copy of the same file because once we unmerge the cells all the data will get collapsed and we can find the blank spaces in the place of merged cells. So that it will unnecessarily create confusions.
This has been a guide to Unmerge Cells in Excel. Here we discuss the Unmerge Cells in Excel and how to use the Unmerge Cells in Excel along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You can also go through our other suggested articles –