Updated November 8, 2023
Best Tourist Places in Asansol
Asansol, in the Indian state of West Bengal, is a city that combines history, culture, and natural beauty. This dynamic metropolis, nestled in the center of the Chota Nagpur Plateau, provides a rich tapestry of experiences for visitors. Asansol has been a popular tourist destination due to its stunning landscapes, ancient landmarks, and flourishing industrial legacy. Explore this lively city to discover its hidden jewels, cultural richness, and friendly friendliness, which make it a one-of-a-kind and memorable destination.
Asansol, historically significant for its coal mining and industrial development, played a crucial role in India’s economic growth during the British colonial era. The region’s coal reserves were pivotal in the evolution of the Indian railways and power generation. Moreover, Asansol is linked to India’s struggle for independence, as it was a center of revolutionary activities and the birthplace of poet Kazi Nazrul Islam, known as the “Rebel Poet of Bengal.” This rich historical heritage adds depth and importance to Asansol’s identity.
Top 12 Tourist Places in Asansol
1. Kalyaneshwari Temple:
Located in the Kulti region, the Kalyaneshwari Temple is a prominent religious site. The temple is dedicated to Goddess Kalyaneshwari, and it is a place of immense spiritual significance. Pilgrims go to the temple to seek blessings and to pray. The serene surroundings and the soothing ambiance make it a peaceful place for meditation and reflection. The temple hosts various festivals, with Navratri being one of the most celebrated, drawing many devotees.
How to reach
- The closest major airport to Asansol is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, located approximately 200 kilometers away in Kolkata.
- After reaching the Kolkata airport, you can hire a taxi or train to Asansol. The journey from the airport to Asansol by road takes 4-5 hours, depending on traffic conditions.
- Asansol has a well-connected railway station known as Asansol Junction. It is one of the busiest railway stations in West Bengal.
- You can take a train to Asansol Junction from various major cities in India. There are regular train services, making it a convenient option for travelers.
- Asansol is accessible via the National Highway 2 (NH2), also known as the Grand Trunk Road (GT Road), which connects Kolkata to Delhi.
- Traveling by car, you can follow NH2, which passes through Asansol.
2. Maithon Dam:
The Maithon Dam, located on the Barakar River, provides a serene escape from urban life. The dam serves as a water reservoir and is surrounded by lush greenery, making it a perfect spot for picnics and outdoor activities. Visitors can also enjoy boating and water sports on the serene Maithon Lake. The dam is not only an engineering marvel but also a picturesque destination for nature enthusiasts.
How to reach
- The nearest airport to Maithon Dam is Kazi Nazrul Islam Airport in Andal, Durgapur. From there, you can take a taxi or a bus to get to Maithon Dam, which is about 45 kilometers away.
- You can take a train from Asansol Junction to Dhanbad Junction, the nearest major railway station to Maithon Dam.
- From Dhanbad Junction, you can hire a taxi or take a local bus to reach Maithon Dam. The distance between Dhanbad and Maithon is approximately 30-35 kilometers.
- If you’re in Asansol, you can hire a taxi or drive your own vehicle to Maithon Dam. The estimated travel time is 45 minutes to an hour for a distance of 25-30 kilometers, depending on traffic.
- There are also state-run and private bus services that operate between Asansol and Maithon. It would be helpful to contact the local bus operators to inquire about their schedules and availability.
3. Joychandi Pahar:
Joychandi Pahar is a hillock in the heart of Asansol known for its scenic beauty and adventure activities. Because of its breathtaking panorama, the location is well-liked by hikers and trekkers. The adventurous can engage in activities like rock climbing and rappelling. This place is not only a treat for adventure seekers but also a haven for nature lovers, thanks to its stunning vistas.
How to Reach
- The nearest airport to Asansol is Kazi Nazrul Islam Airport, approximately 25 kilometers away. You can take a flight to this airport and hire a taxi or use public transportation to reach Joychandi Pahar.
- Asansol Junction is the nearest major railway station, and it is well-connected to various cities in India. From Asansol Junction, you can hire a taxi or take a local train to Asansol South railway station, which is closer to Joychandi Pahar.
- Joychandi Pahar is well-connected by road, and you can reach it by car or bus. Asansol is connected to major cities in West Bengal and nearby states by a network of highways.
- Once you reach Asansol, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to Joychandi Pahar. It is located about 25 kilometers from Asansol’s city center.
4. Garh Panchkot:
Garh Panchkot is a historical site featuring the ruins of an ancient fort. The remains of the fort offer a glimpse into the region’s rich history, dating back to the Pala dynasty. The site is known for its archaeological importance and the stories it holds from the past. Visitors can explore the fort’s remnants and immerse themselves in the history and legends that surround it, making it a fascinating destination for history buffs.
How to reach
- The nearest major airport to Garh Panchkot is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport (CCU) in Kolkata, which is well-connected to major Indian cities. After reaching Kolkata, you can take a domestic flight or travel by road to Asansol, the nearest city to Garh Panchkot.
- Asansol Junction is the nearest major railway station to Garh Panchkot, which is well-connected to various cities in India. You can reach Asansol by train from cities like Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, and more. Upon reaching Asansol, opt for hiring a taxi or taking a local bus to Garh Panchkot, located approximately 25-30 kilometers away.
- You can also reach Garh Panchkot by road. Asansol is well-connected to various cities and towns in West Bengal and neighboring states. National Highway 2 (NH2) passes through Asansol, making it accessible by road. From Asansol, you can hire a taxi or take a local bus to reach Garh Panchkot. The distance is 25-30 kilometers, and the journey typically takes about an hour.
Churulia is renowned as the birthplace of Kazi Nazrul Islam, one of Bengal’s most celebrated poets. The town has historical significance due to its association with Nazrul. A museum is dedicated to the poet’s life and works. Visitors can explore the museum to gain insights into his literary contributions and the impact of his poetry on Bengali culture.
How to Reach
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata is the closest major airport to Churulia, and it’s around 180 km distant.
- When arriving at the airport, you can either hire a taxi or book a cab in advance to get to Churulia. The journey by road from the airport to Churulia typically takes around 4-5 hours, depending on traffic conditions.
- Churulia does not have its own railway station. The nearest railway station is Asansol Junction, which is well-connected to major cities in India.
- From Asansol Junction, you can hire a taxi or take a local train to reach Churulia. The town is located at a relatively short distance from Asansol, and the journey should take around 30 minutes by road.
- Churulia is well-connected by road to nearby towns and cities in West Bengal. You can use a private car or hire a taxi to reach Churulia from nearby places like Asansol.
- If you are traveling from Kolkata, you can follow the Grand Trunk Road (NH2) to reach Asansol, and from there, take the appropriate local road to Churulia.
6. Burnpur Riverside:
The Burnpur Riverside provides a unique experience by combining the scenic beauty of the river with the industrial heritage of the region. The riverside promenade is an ideal place for a stroll, offering a tranquil escape from the urban rush. Moreover, the region is home to the Burnpur Steel Plant, which has played a significant role in India’s industrial development. The juxtaposition of nature and industry makes this spot distinctive.
How to Reach:
- Burnpur Riverside is well connected by road. In Asansol, you can hire a taxi or ride-sharing service to reach Riverside. It’s a short drive from the city center.
- If you come from other cities or regions, you can take a bus to Asansol and proceed to Burnpur Riverside. The road network in the area is well-maintained, making it convenient for travelers.
- Asansol Junction Railway Station is a major railway station in the area and connects to various cities in India. You can opt to hire a taxi or an auto-rickshaw from the railway station to reach Burnpur Riverside, which is only a short distance away.
- The nearest airport to Asansol is Kazi Nazrul Islam Airport, also known as Durgapur Airport. From the airport, you can take a taxi or pre-arranged transport service to reach Burnpur Riverside. It’s about a 30-minute drive away.
7. Nehru Park:
Nehru Park in Asansol offers a serene green escape with various outdoor activities. The park provides a serene environment for picnics, and it features an amusement park for families to enjoy. Visitors can take leisurely walks, engage in sports, or unwind amid the lush greenery. It is a well-liked location that attracts both locals and visitors.
How to Reach
- The nearest major airport to Asansol is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata, which is around 200 kilometers away. Once you land at the airport, you can either take a domestic flight to Kazi Nazrul Islam Airport in Durgapur, which is relatively closer to Asansol, or you can opt for a train or road transportation from Kolkata to Asansol.
- Asansol is a major railway junction in India with excellent connectivity. You can arrive at Asansol Railway Station and then take a taxi or auto-rickshaw to Nehru Park, which is just a short ride away from the station.
- Nehru Park is located within Asansol, making it easily accessible by road. You can use local transportation options, including taxis, auto-rickshaws, or rented cars, to reach the park anywhere in the city.
- If you’re using a GPS or navigation app, you can input “Nehru Park, Asansol” as your destination to get directions.
8. Ghagar Buri Chhinnamasta Temple:
This unique Tantric temple is dedicated to Goddess Chhinnamasta and is known for its striking imagery. The goddess is depicted holding her own severed head, symbolizing self-sacrifice and transformation. The temple attracts devotees who witness its artistry and participate in the rituals. It’s a place where spirituality and artistry converge, offering a distinctive cultural experience.
How to Reach
- The nearest airport to Asansol is Kazi Nazrul Islam Airport, which is situated in Andal, about 25 kilometers from Asansol.
- From the airport, you can take a taxi or pre-booked transportation to reach Ghagar Buri Chhinnamasta Temple in Asansol.
- Asansol is a major railway junction, well-connected to various parts of India. You can reach Asansol by train.
- After reaching Asansol Railway Station, you can hire a taxi or an auto-rickshaw to take you to Ghagar Buri Chhinnamasta Temple. The temple is a relatively short distance from the railway station, and the journey should take around 15-20 minutes.
- If you’re in Asansol, you can reach the temple by hiring a taxi or taking a local bus. It is a popular religious site, and locals can guide you to the location.
- If you come from Kolkata, you can drive or take a bus to Asansol. From Asansol, follow the local directions to reach the temple.
9. Sacred Heart Church in Asansol
The Sacred Heart Church stands as a spiritual and architectural masterpiece in Asansol. Its neo-Gothic design with intricate detailing and a towering spire is a visual delight as you approach. Inside, an aura of solemnity and tranquility prevails, with colorful stained glass windows filtering sunlight, creating a serene ambiance. Visitors, whether devout or admirers of architectural grandeur, find solace and inspiration here.
How to Reach:
- By Air: The closest airport is the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport located in Kolkata., approximately 200 kilometers away. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a train to Asansol.
- By Train: Asansol Junction is a major railway station well-connected to various cities across India. You can reach Asansol by train from cities like Kolkata, Delhi, and Mumbai.
- By Road: Asansol is easily accessible by road. It is connected to Kolkata via NH114 and NH114A. You can drive to Asansol from nearby cities or take a bus from the major bus terminals in the region.
10. Satabdi Park in Asansol:
Satabdi Park offers a lush oasis within the urban landscape of Asansol. Walking through its verdant lawns and well-maintained pathways is a serene experience. Families come here for picnics, while couples find quiet corners for intimate moments. The park includes children’s play areas, making it a delightful spot for kids. A boat ride on the tranquil lake adds to the charm of this urban retreat.
How to Reach:
- By Air: The closest airport to Kolkata is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, approximately 200 kilometers away. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a train to Asansol.
- By Train: Asansol Junction is the primary railway station in the city, well-connected to various parts of the country.
- By Road: Asansol is well-connected by road. You can drive to Satabdi Park within the city or take a local taxi or auto-rickshaw.
11. Bishnupur in Asansol:
Bishnupur is a cultural treasure chest that transports you through art, history, and heritage. The town is renowned for its terracotta temples adorned with intricate storytelling terracotta panels. The Rasmancha, a pyramidal structure, and the ornate Jorbangla temple showcase this unique architectural style. Bishnupur is also celebrated for its vibrant music, particularly the Bishnupur Gharana, and its craftsmanship in creating exquisite Baluchari sarees. A visit here is a journey back in time, offering a cultural immersion that’s truly captivating.
How to Reach:
- By Air: The nearest major airport is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata, around 200 kilometers away. From there, you can take a train or bus to Bishnupur.
- By Train: Bishnupur has a railway station well-connected to Kolkata and other nearby cities.
- By Road: Bishnupur is accessible by road, allowing you to drive or take a bus to this historic town from Asansol.
12. Karo Hills and Amarkanan in Asansol:
Karo Hills and Amarkanan beckon adventurous souls seeking nature’s embrace. Karo Hills, draped in lush greenery, offers a serene escape. Nearby Amarkanan presents the thrill of trekking and camping. The trails wind through the lush forests, with campfires under the starry sky creating unforgettable memories. These locations are ideal for nature enthusiasts looking to explore the pristine outdoors and reconnect with nature.
How to Reach:
- By Air: The nearest major airport is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata. From there, you can travel by train or road to reach Karo Hills and Amarkanan.
- By Train: Asansol Junction is the nearest major railway station. From Asansol, you can arrange local transportation to reach Karo Hills and Amarkanan.
- By Road: Karo Hills and Amarkanan are accessible by road from Asansol. You can hire a taxi or drive, savoring the scenic beauty of the region along the way.
These eight tourist places in Asansol provide a diverse range of experiences, from spiritual and historical to natural beauty and cultural exploration. Whether you’re an adventure enthusiast, history buff, or nature lover, Asansol has something to offer for every traveler.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Tourist Places in Asansol” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,