Introduction to Test data generation tool
Test data generation is a process of creating the data required for testing a web page or a system application, which should obey the conditions, specified for the test scenario that the data will be used for. This process can be made easy or automated with the help of the tools that are readily available in the market. The Test data generation tools can be classified based on the features of the tools, like ‘random test data generation’, ‘goal oriented data generation’, ‘pathwise data generation’ and ‘intelligent data generation’. Some of the famous test data generation tools are EMS data generator, datamatics data generator multiDB, DTM data generator and Mockaroo.
- Talking of importance we would like to say that imagine one misses testing for one set of data and released the product in the market, the chaos and problem this will create is a nightmare for any business.
- Apart from this, there are around 6-9 numbers of crucial testing procedures like load, stress, performance, functional & database testing which are available & must be tested before a product is released into the market. Each of the different testing types needs a different set of data structures with all possible scenarios for complete success.
- A test data generator tools make sure that all the types of testing is performed like positive and negative.
- Helps to identify bugs at an early stage which minimizes management costs under all possible scenarios
- These are reusable and flexible
- They perform quickly and save manpower, chances of error, operational costs and time
- They generate random as well as real data sets
- Random test data generation – One can understand easily from the name the kind of data that gets generated. This process of data generation helps in generating a random set of data sets that are of the simple kind. It plays a crucial role as it saves time and tests multiple programs at once.
- Goal-oriented data generation – Instead of just being a usual way this generates data path specific. This means it can find the best feasible inputs/paths and avoids less feasible.
- Pathwise data generation – This works on a specified path rather on any random path. For a mentioned path it provides an in-depth variety of data and makes sure the assigned path is tested thoroughly.
- Intelligent data generation – This not only tests the data but with analysis, it depends upon the sophisticated analysis of the code that is being tested and guides the test data. The test data generation is quick but the analysis part needs more insight just to anticipate different situations.
Some Test Generation Tool
There are multiple test data generation tools available in the market of which many are free or open-source to user community whereas many are paid. This category depends upon the kinds of the platform they work and features they have – below are some free and paid version of Test data generation tools –
1. Ems Data Generator
It comes with a price tag of $60 to its users and is compatible with Oracle, DB2, MySQL, SQL Server, Interbase, and PostgreSQL. It provides its user to edit the generated data and facility to preview it. With every purchase of Ems Data generator, the company provides free maintenance, updates, and technical support to its users. It has a good user interface with user-friendly tools that are quick and easy to operate. One can work and save file working on the application which saves the effort to work on servers. Talking of cons a user has to download different data generators when working on different databases.
2. Datamatics data generator MultiDB
It is one of the high rated tools as it cost huge to its users. This data generator tool comes with 14 days of the trial period after which a user has to purchase it by paying $499 to continue using the application. Mainly configured for database testing purposes the Datamatics software comes with advanced data generation and validation options. It works well with Oracle, SQL Server, MS Azure, MySQL, MS Access and SQLite. It is easy to use and comes with a cloud-based database facility. A user can work and generate completely new sets of data while also generate data from the existing one.
3. DTM data generator
This tool offers different benefits to its users and comes in different editions. Let us first see the pricing and editions that it comes into the market. With three kinds of plans and edition, the DTM data generator tool engages different types of user segments with their offerings. Its standard edition costs $149 (single user), professional edition costs around $279 and the enterprise edition costs around $399. Considering the possibilities of the DTM tool a user can create random and repeatable data, it supports multiple types of databases namely MS SQL server, Oracle, IBM DB2, Sybase, Informix, MySQL, and PostgreSQL. DTM supports CSV, SQL script, XML and JSON file formats. It comes with Windows OS which can be considered as its limitations.
This is an open-source tool (upto some rows of data); the free plan is upto 1000 rows of data and further to it the charges are $50/year for upto 100000rows of data and $500/year for 10M rows. The Mockaroo is easy to use application and there is no need to learn programming to operate it. This tool is capable to operate data in CSV, JSON, SQL, and Excel format. It creates realistic data.
Apart from the ones listed above, there are several others namely –
Spawner data generator
Conclusion – Test Data Generation Tool
The well-designed data structure is always a good practice before the testing process is continued, it identifies the upcoming flaws and also a chance to correct it. A test data generation tool helps the business owners to try and test their tools before it rolls out to public use. A best practice is to avoid manual processes and switch to any of the mentioned test data generation tools as it has a comparatively bigger success rate.
This is a guide to the Test data generation tool. Here we discuss the Test data generation tool along with the Importance and Types. You may also look at the following article to learn more –