Overview of Test Plan Template
A test plan is a document that gives a blueprint for testing method, strategy, selection of hardware/software, schedule plan and estimation of deliverables. It manages my test manager.
Let’s see one of example, one of meeting test manager asks a team to do test plan for this project and team are not interest, In such case how the test manager wants to handle this situation.
Think about your test manager and select your to answer below:
- I’m a manager so you need to do what I say
- OK, let me explain why the project needs a test plan.
If I’m a manager, I’ll select the second option and hope you too.
Need for Test Plan
- It will test the quality of application/software
- Testers need to follow the guidelines given in the document
- The scope, estimation, strategy are documented and can be reused for other projects as well.
How to Write a Test Plan Template?
There are eight important tasks which need to be followed for writing the Test plan template:
This is about how we write a test plan template which is explained below in detail:
4.5 (1,622 ratings)
Without having data it is impossible to analyze anything. So we need to identify the project/project which needs to be analyzed. Suppose we developed a website and need to be analyzed using the testing techniques. Before enters into the test strategy, we need to review the product document which has the project details, firstly we need to understand the functionality and then do an analysis. Below is the sample analysis that takes place for this website.
- What is the use of this website?
- Who are the end-users?
- How it will works?
- What is the version of the software is used?
- What is the hardware?
Developing testing design is an important step in the test plan template and it will be defined by the test manager.
a) Define the Scope of Testing
Before writing the test design, we have to identify the “in scope” and “out of scope” for testing and everyone in the team must be clearly understood about the project and need be provide accurate data information. How will you identify the scope for testing?
- Customer requirement
- Software specification
b) Define Testing Type
By defining the testing type to identify any bug in the software and the ultimate goal is to deliver the software to the customer without any errors. Some of the major testing techniques are
- Unit Testing: Test the smallest piece of software or application
- API testing: Test API’s created for the application
- Integration test: Test the modules combined in the application
- System test: Test the system compliance for the specific requirement
- Install / Uninstall test: Set up /remove the specific software in the customer environment
- Agile testing: Test the agile methodology
c) Document Risk and Issue
Identify the risk and it will cause the potential impact on the test plan template and which measures are an issue. See below some of the risk factors.
- People have a lack of skills for testing this website
- The test manager has poor skills to define the testing technique.
- Lack of cooperation within the team
- Poor budget estimation
d) Create Test Logistics
In this step, the test manager has to decide who will test? and when will the test occur? The selection of the right person for a specific task is much important to understand the methods. The testing can occur at any time, it can also start from the development phase. When the below source is available, it is ready for testing.
- Test specs and requirement document
- Human resource
- Test environment
3. Test Objective
The main objective of testing the objective is to identify the defects and release the software as bug-free. The test objective needs to follow the below steps:
a) Test the software or application feature.
b) Test the feature based on the target set and goal.
Take this website as an example to follow the above steps using the most common technique TOP-DOWN testing method.
- Check the website is working in the real environment without any issue
- Need to check the customer need and it meets their expectation
- It should in user-friendly
4. Test Criteria
Criteria can be used as a rule or procedure to do the testing judgment. There are two types of testing criteria:
a) Suspension Criteria
The test manager has to be set the target for suspension. When it met the target, the test will be suspended until the criteria solved. Say suppose there are 30% of test cases are failed for the project and it has to go back to the development team. The testing can’t be performed until the issue cleared.
b) Exit Criteria
Exit criteria can be set as a maximum percentage (e.g., 96%). When the test result met with this percent, the project can be considered as PASS. The mandatory is to run 100% test cases, but the pass can be defined as 96%.
[ Formulae:- Number of test cases passed / total test cases executed ]
5. Resource Planning
Resource planning can be both human and equipment which requires this testing plan to complete the task.
a) Human Resource
- Test manager
- Developer in test
- QA Engineer
b) System Resource
- Test tool
6. Plan Test Environment
The test environment is to set up hardware and software to perform testing. It has to be deployed in a real-time business environment. The environment set up can be followed as a Development server -> Test / QA server -> Production server. Once the development phase completed, it will move to the testing team and once the testing completed, it will be live in the production environment.
7. Schedule & Estimation
It needs to make a schedule and estimation to do the task in the test plan template.
|Create Test Plan||Test Manager||80 man-hour|
|Test Report||Tester||200 man-hour|
|Test Delivery||QA||30 man-hour|
8. Test Deliverables
Test deliverables can list all the documents and other efforts that support this effort. There are three types of deliverables.
a) Before Testing
- Plan document
- Test design document
b )During Testing
- Capture error logs
- Execution error
c) After Testing
- Test report
- Release notes
This is a guide to Test Plan Template. Here we have learned what is Test plan, the need for a test plan template, How to design a test plan, etc. You may also look at the following articles to learn more-
- Static Testing Techniques
- AWS CloudFormation Templates
- Cloud Testing Tools
- Protocol Testing
- Top 7 Principles of Agile Testing with Strategies
- Test Cases vs Test Scenario | Top Differences
- What is Test Case?
- Examples to Create Test Scenario
- Test Plan vs Test Strategy | Top Differences