Updated April 4, 2023
Introduction to Terraform
Terraform is an open-source infrastructure as a code software tool. It is used for versioning, changing, and building infrastructure efficiently and safely. The infrastructure terraform has the ability to handle both low-level and high-level elements. low-level elements are networking, storage, compute instances, and high-level elements are SaaS features, DNS entries, etc. If you are looking for a job related to the terraform then you need to prepare for the interview with questions and answers. Here in this article, we have covered some top questions with answers which will help you to crack the interview.
Terraform Interview Questions
Below is the list of terraform interview questions with answers.
1. What are the components of terraform?
Ans: There are two components of terraform – Terraform Core and Terraform plugins.
- Terraform core: It is used to visualize RPCs (Remote Procedure Calls) to communicate with terraform plugins. Apart from this It also offers diverse ways of discovering and loading plugins according to the needs.
- Terraform Plugins; It is used to represent the implementation of specific services like AWS (Amazon Web Service), Bash, or provisioner.
2. What is terraform cloud?
Ans: Terraform cloud provides remote operations for terraform and is ideal for production and team environments. It allows users to create the production at any scale easily. It provides a plan for infrastructure changes before every run. It has the ability to calculate the cast for this plan and then check it with any policy. It also provides self-service infrastructure and run environment for the organization using their own private module registry and workspace permissions.
3. How terraform is different from CloudFormation?
Ans: Terraform is more flexible than we can use in any cloud provider’s platform and any operating system without any modifications. This flexibility makes terraform popular in many cases. In one system, we can use terraform in different cloud platforms. Terraform codes can be reused for different projects after storing them in git repository or terraform folders. This is not possible in Cloud Formation as the code for individual projects are stored in stacks that cannot be reused for any other projects.
4. What is state in terraform?
Ans: State is a command in terraform which is used to manage the state. State is necessary requirements for the terraform to work well. Terraform must store state about your managed infrastructure and configuration. Terraform use state command to map the real-world resources to your configuration and keeps the track of the metadata and to improve the performance of the large infrastructure. The syntax for terraform state is as follows
terraform state [options] [args]
Here terraform state is the keyword and options are fixed variables. Args are nothing but a
arguments where you need to mention the arguments that you want to supply for the variable.
5. List out some Terraform CLI commands
Ans: Below is the list of some Terraform CLI commands
- get: It is used to download and install the modules for the configuration
- version: It is used to print the version of terraform.
- Workspace: It is used to manage the workspace.
- graph: It is used to build a graph based on the resources.
- init: It is used to initialize the working directory.
- fmt: It is used to rewrite config files to canonical format.
- build: It is used to build or change the infrastructure.
- env: It is used for workspace management.
- destroy: It is used to destroy the management.
6: What is apply in terraform?
Ans: Apply is a command in terraform which is used to apply the changes required to react the desired state of the configuration or the pre-defined set of actions generated by terraform plan execution plan.
7. How null resource works in terraform?
Ans: The null resource follows the standard resource lifecycle but doesn’t do anything else. The triggers option allows you to specify an arbitrary set of values that will cause the resource to be replaced if they are modified.
8. What are the features of terraform?
Ans: Features of terraform are as follows:
- Improve maintenance: It has the ability to split down the configuration into little portions or chunks in order to improve organization and maintenance.
- Resource relationship: Terraforming has the ability to grasp resource linkages, which is a very useful capability.
- Graphing: Its built-in graphing features are useful for visualizing the infrastructure.
- Updates: The Open Source Project adds new features and upgrades. It does so with the help of a large number of contributors.
- Custom Syntax: Its custom syntax is user-friendly, which helps to increase productivity.
9. Explain the working of terraform
Ans: Terraform creates an execution plan that outlines what it will do to achieve the desired state, and then executes it to create the infrastructure described. Terraform can determine what changed as the configuration changes and provide incremental execution plans that can be applied.
10: How to terraform CLI?
Ans: Terraform is controlled by a command-line interface (CLI) that is very simple to use. There is only one command-line application: terraform. After that, a subcommand such as “apply” or “plan” is given to this application. The navigation to the left has a comprehensive list of subcommands.
Here in this article, we have discussed 10 interview questions with answers. We hope it will help you to get success in your interview.
This is a guide to Terraform Interview Questions. Here we discuss the Introduction, list of Terraform Interview Questions. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –