Introduction to SketchUp Architecture
Sketchup Architecture is 3D modeling software which deals with a wide range of drawing applications such as interior design, architectural drawing, and modeling, designing of landscape architecture elements, mechanical and civil engineering drawings, designing of video games as well as film 3d models and so on. It is web bases application and free for use but there is paid version also which has some additional functionality which you can find with named SketchUp Pro. It has several features and tools of 3D modeling that provide it advance level of working ability as well as efficiency in its work. So let us have a good discussion on this software.
The first thing which I will tell you is the purpose of using this software so that you can understand for what SketchUP Architecture really stands.
Why do We Need SketchUp Architecture?
It was developed by Trimble Inc. in August 2000 for dealing with 3D modeling of different components and elements of architectural design. It provides us drawing layouts and also allows rendering of surface in different styles so by this software we can have precise drawing layouts and can also imaging object of these layout in real world by rendering process offers by this software. If you want to apply different texture on object or model of your architecture or other drawing for giving them a real-world look then you can have a number of textures from its libraries (you can upload your own textures in libraries and download others for your use). You can manage lighting effects on your models because there is a number of lights such as spot light, point light, etc., and also does animation with models as per your requirements by using animation features of it.
How SketchUp Architecture Software Works?
Sketchup Architecture is software that allows you to create and edit 2D as well as 3D models with a patented method of Push and Pull. The Push and Pull tools allow you to extrude different flat surfaces for giving them 3D shapes. For doing this you just have to select that object which you want to extrude and start pulling that object in your desired direction.
When you start SketchUp you can choose a template for your model or set the default template, open recent files, browse any existing file from the welcome screen of it. In the preset set model, it offers you different type of pre designed sections which you can use in your project work.
This software has its good impact on the different sectors of 3D modeling because it has a number of effective features and tools in it bag but there are some disadvantages of it too. So let us have a discussion of its advantage and disadvantages.
When you start working with it you will notice that there is a number of good things about it that are as follows:
- You can find an online library of free model assemblies such as windows, door and automobiles and so on. Not only model assemblies you will also have 3D warehouse to which any user may contribute models that means the warehouse is like a box in which you can drop(upload) your models or pick(download) models of others.
- It is multi-lingual software so available in many different languages for making it accessible by almost every region’s users and these languages are English, Italian, French, German, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Chinese (both simplified and traditional), Portuguese and Brazilian. This is pretty good number of languages that are supported by this software which makes it popular among variety of users.
- It has its compatibility with the number of operating systems such as Windows 7 and its later versions, OS X 10.9 and its later versions.
- It has well organized User interface and have sections for each and every important tools, as well as features of it such as there, are Menu bar, Toolbar, Drawing area, Measurements box, Status bar and Default panels. These sections provide you smooth working environment during working on it.
Although I tell you about a number of advantages of this software but there is some disadvantage of this software also so let us have a look on them too.
- SketchUp cannot import CAD file formats which is the biggest drawback of it and it is little bit harder to get manifold 3D files formats from this software.
- There is lack of built-in models as well as elements in the free addition of this software and for more models and elements you have to go with the paid version of it.
- You can’t add specified dimensions and details in your project work during working with this software and due to this adding detailing of several elements in the complex project becomes difficult for us.
- You may find that it is not useful for documentation work such as scale drawings and all that type of things because there is lack of documentation features.
Now let me tell you some applications of this software you that you can understand its commercial purpose also.
Uses of SketchUp Architecture Software
Being a 3D modeling software of Architectural field it has a number of application in other different related 3D modeling sectors such as in interior designing, designing of components and elements of landscape architectural sectors and so on. It has its impact on media as well as film and video game industries for creating 2d and 3D models of those industries.
These are some facts of this software about which you must have the knowledge and you can extract good details from this article for having final decision for using it as your pet 3D modeling software.
Now you can say you have good understanding about SketchUp Architecture software and have hand full of information of its different aspects which you can use for perfect analysis of this software. Being free software you can learn it and can develop polished skill in 3D modeling of architectural sector as well as other 3D modeling fields.
This is a guide to SketchUp Architecture. Here we also discuss the introduction and how sketchup architecture software works? along with advantages and disadvantages. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –