Six Sigma Management
Six Sigma management depends upon executive ownership, it can be said this way because in Six Sigma approach the management assumes the responsibility from selecting the projects, collecting the skilled team, arranging the training sessions for the teammates and executing the improvements related to the project.
Six Sigma is a management design which emphasizes focus on managing a business while improving a process using statistical tools. Six Sigma evolution was done from management science, it is a data-driven approach to obtain high performance, this approach analyses the root cause of the failure in the business and provides suitable solutions. Management philosophers say that the business is reorganized by adopting better and improved version and assuring changes in the results.
Good Six Sigma management implements good communication among the teams because during the planning phase it leaves a big room for interpreting new add on for adaptability.
For effective functioning of Six Sigma management, the top management support and leadership, involvement and commitment play a positive role.
Six Sigma creates a different style of management and fixes a culture of defects free products & services, cost underlines and customer orientation within employees:
Pros of using Six Sigma management-
- Productivity rate is higher than the previous.
- Also, the cost of production is comparably lower.
- The clear picture is drafted with a competitive price that enables competitive pricing.
- Defects are nearly rare, defects free is the aim.
- The approach is customer focused, which enable the team knows the exact requirement of the customer.
- High returns, producer toast on high return to his investment on the products.
Team and hierarchy
Six sigma scenarios require the involvement of all participants from floor worker to senior management, every participant is assigned a specific role to focus on, this increases the performance of the product. Every member is given the title based on the profile and work they contribute to the product. Titles are-
- Yellow belt
- Green belt
- Black belt
- Master black belt
- The champion
- Yellow belts: it is the 1st and the lowest position of placements in Six Sigma methodology. The larger number of human resources lies under this category, this team is kept for training sessions to train them with necessary skills needed for the project, this training will make the team proficient to identify, monitor and control profit losing practices in the business. This team is an information provider for the next belts. This team should make sure that their training is done very preciously so that they can provide information regarding product very clearly and ease the job of their next teammates (to black belt and green belt working teams).
- Green belts- this stage comprises of experienced and trained team members, preferably experienced in the function-specific area. This is the must requirement because the team will be aware of the pros and cons related to projects and will conclude the short comes from the previous stage. This team requires less amount of commitment throughout the production. This team is experienced in using six sigma technique, so it detects the defects of the previous team also, all queries are sorted at this stage only before getting transferred to the next belt.
- Black belts- at this level the team plays a key role in the process. The best performer of the previous project leads the project, that’s because he knows all the issues that may impact the performance of the company. The leader appointed here must be a minimum of two year given to six sigma execution, this is the matter of the company’s performance, so no risk is taken. DMAIC methodology is the approach during the design, they use several methodologies (more than 1) at a time to get the best of the process. Trained Six Sigma employees under black belt category are specialist in problem-solving and good at leadership and team building skills, these are benefited with raise after the success of the project.
- Master black belt- under this level, top skilled and knowledgeable with years of experience people are placed. The top level has a very important role to play, to train(teach) and make others engage(leadership). MBB train black belt on continuing process also trains green belt and yellow belt for the addition of new participants. MBB leaders are the responsible ones for the success of the production, they must keep the update of every stage and must provide all the training and related stuff during production. The leader here has to be the one who has gained minimum five years of experience in Six Sigma management and supervised black belt candidates as a leader for consecutive five years and plays a full-time employee to the company. The master black belt leader is selected on reference based, the more recommendation, the more chances are higher to lead a team for MBB. This is very crucial to choose, no risk can be taken, the company’s reputation is on the stack. MBB is a leader to green belt, it implements six sigma methodology into green belt usually trained by SS institute. They must have a high success rate of six sigma projects and indulge in full time Six Sigma and black belt cost-saving programs.
- Champions- champions coordinate with other belts to a business roadmap to achieve Six Sigma within the organization. Champions are the responsible body for the logistics and business aspects of the six sigma projects. Champions have the responsibility to select and scope the projects that are aligned with the corporate strategy, they select and train the right team for the project and remove barriers to ensure the highest level of success.
Conclusion: Six Sigma Management
Six Sigma is a business results oriented and seeks overall improvement through the bottom line of the company. Six Sigma focus on truly cross-functional strategy. Six sigma insists on specific roles at each cadre and the management must initiate at regular intervals until the production is completed. It induces a change in the management style and produces the culture of error/defect free production, cost control and customer satisfaction environment with employees also.
This has been a guide to Six Sigma Management. Here we have discussed the Pros of Using Six Sigma Management and also explain about the Team and hierarchy. You may also look at the following article to learn more –