Introduction to Security Consultant Definition
A security consultant definition is an individual or group of individuals who specialize in some field of the security industry. A security consultant definition is a one who assesses software, networks and computer systems for inabilities. Security consultant definition plays the role of both the attacker and the defender. They work directly with the clients and develop a security plan specifically for the clients as per their needs. They work for the different types of clients ranging from homes to large businesses who need security.
What does Security Consultant definition mean?
A security consultant’s definition is hired by someone to find out the faults in a company’s IT system and to find a better solution for it to prevent it from attacks and theft.
The term Security Consultant definition is a broader term which includes
- Information Security Consultant
- Computer Security Consultant
- Database Security Consultant
- Network Security Consultant
What does Security Consultant Careers do?
The first and foremost thing that a security consultant careers do is meet with the clients and discuss their issues. A security consultant advises the company in terms of securing and protecting their digital assets, physical property and personal safety such as buildings, systems, databases, and others. There are security consultants careers who specialize in different areas. They use their expertise in subject matter to advise companies to install the necessary software for protection.
Security personnel also do rigorous background checks to find out the errors and to improve the security system. They also provide expert solutions to natural as well as man-made disasters.
Responsibilities of a Security Consultant careers
There is always a need to protect the privacy of the company. Especially larger companies have more demand for privacy and they recruit security consultants careers. Given below are the responsibilities of a security consultant in a company
- Find out an effective way to safeguard and protect the computers, networks, software, data, and information in a company against any threats
- Investigate the staff and heads of the department regarding any security issue which was detected
- Draft emergency response plans for the problem detected
- Do a research on security standards, security systems, and authentication protocols
- Do vulnerability testing, risk analysis, and security assessments
- Assist in mitigation techniques
- Design a proper security system for the IT project
- Prepare cost estimates for a security system to be installed
- Test the security solutions
- Provide training to the security team
- Educate the employees and the business about the policies, procedures, and standards
- Implement and maintain corporate security policies
- Update and upgrade the security systems in the company
- Provide incident response and forensics
Why people choose security consulting?
People enjoy researching and thinking outside the box love to choose this career. They also love to be creative and innovative.
Some people love to find flaws in software and they also get a lot of opportunities to learn from the errors. There will be free to approach the problems and take their own decisions.
How and where to get started?
There is no one definite education path for security consultant careers job. Most security consultant needs a bachelor degree as their minimum qualification. But a degree in the area of security consulting in which they are interested will be an added advantage. They should have a basic knowledge about systems, security, networks, protocols, and other computer-related topics. Security consultants need knowledge in wide range of fields like networks, databases, and all the latest technologies. Security consultants usually begin their career in any one of the disciplines in the security field. Some security consultants careers are previous police officers, electronic engineers, integrators and even hackers.
Some of the popular security management studies are intelligence management, public safety, homeland security, and criminology.
Here are few topics which a person should know before starting with security consultant career
- Web application security
- Network security assessment
- Mobile Device Security
- Source code review
- Low-level application security
- Binary reverse
- Research and development
- Languages like C++, Java, Python, Ruby or any other language
Getting some experience always helps. Gain some experience in intermediate level security jobs like
- Security Administrator
- Security Specialist
- Security Analyst
- Security Engineer
- Security Auditor
Also, try to participate in Open source projects apart from the regular lab work done. These project works will help to improvise your skills, develop specific interests and learn new technologies that are more popular in the market. The security field keeps on changing with the introduction of new technologies. One needs to stay abreast of the changes to meet the competition.
You can gain knowledge about the recent technologies through social media like Twitter and there are also a lot of sites like Offensive security which provides a lot of information related to this field. RSS feeds can also help you to a great extent in gathering information.
Required Licenses and Certifications
If one wants to become a successful security consultant then he/she needs to be certified. You need to have a certification like Certified Protection Professional or Physical Security Professional or Certified Security Consultant or Certified Information Security Systems Professional.
Skills required for a security consultant careers
We have already seen the job responsibilities of security consultant careers. The employers of security consultant expect certain hard skills and soft skills from them. Few of the hard skills which the companies expect are listed below
- IDS/IPS, Penetration and Vulnerability testing
- Encryption technologies
- Windows, Unix and Linux operating systems
- Secure coding practices, ethical hacking, and threat modeling
- Application security
- Network and web related protocols
- Firewall and Intrusion detection
- Performance tuning views, indexes, SQL and PLSQL
- Advanced Persistent Threats (APT), Phishing, Network Access Controllers (NAC), gateway anti-malware and enhanced authentication
- PCI, HIPAA, NIST, GLBA and SOX compliance assessments
- Frameworks like COBIT and ITIL
- Network routing methods like VPN, VLAN, and VoIP
There are two important soft skills required for a Security consultant definition – Leadership and negotiation qualities. They should also have excellent communication skills. They should possess all these qualities as they need to work with diverse teams which requires lot of patience.
Security consultant definition should also be more creative. They should think out of the box and solve out complex problems.
To start your career as a Security Consultant develop the following qualities in you
- Start wholeheartedly – Once you have decided to start your career as a security consultant then do it with your whole heart. Career as a security consultant is equal to other jobs and the growth is also better than the average. There are a lot of training and certificate programmes available which will help you become an expert in your field.
- Research – Do research about the proper reputed training institute which offers you the best curriculum that includes all the latest technologies. There are different institutes who specialize in a particular field of security.
- Don’t be limited – There is always something new coming your way to learn. So don’t limit your curriculum. Keep adding more knowledge related to your field.
- Get some experience – After you have completed your course get yourself exposed to industry environment. It will help you understand the threats in a practical way.
- Certifications – Get some extra certifications that will add up value to your job. Such certifications will help you to gain extra knowledge and will boost the value of your resume letting you get more job offers.
Computer Security consultant definition
Becoming a computer security consultant is more rewarding. The career growth in this sector is very high as almost all the businesses are using computer systems for their business. This increases the demand for computer security consultant. Computer Security covers wider areas like IT security, information and risk management. To become a computer security consultant you need to have a degree in computer science or you must possess some experience in IT. You also need to know all the basic skills in computers like programming, web security, mobile security, network security, and cryptography. Most of the computer security consultants are former hackers who know how difficult it is for companies to protect their data from theft and hacks.
The roles and responsibilities of a computer security consultant definition vary from company to company. They develop complex databases, develop websites and set up a network of computers. They can also be placed in the position of Network Specialist or Database specialists or Software programmers in companies.
Information Security Consultant Certification
Information Security is also known as InfoSec. Information Security means protecting the information of a company from unauthorized use or access. Many companies have started to outsource their IT security as they wanted to focus on the core business. Information Security Consultants are people who work to provide security to the data and information of an organization from the hackers. The first step to become an Information Security Consultant is to be certified IT security. There are a lot of certifications available and the EC council offers these certificates. Few examples of the certificates are listed below
- Certified Network Defence Architect (CNDA)
- Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (CHFI)
- EC-Council Network Security Administrator (ENSA)
- EC-Council Certified Incident Handler (ECIH)
- EC-Council Certified VOIP Professional (ECVP)
- EC-Council Certified Chief Information Security Officer (CCISO)
Network Security Consultant Certification
Network security consultant certification protects the client’s information from leakage, viruses, spyware and cyber hackers. They protect the confidential information of the companies stored in networks. The information might be in any form that includes financial reports, projects, contacts, passwords and other valuable information about the company. Network security consultants set up special software’s, passwords and firewalls to prevent the unwanted members from entering into the network. They make sure that the data is always safe from hacks. They also teach the employees about the network security methods to make them aware and reduce the security threats to a greater extent.
Database Security Consultant
Security consultants are more in demand by big companies and organizations where there have huge digitized databases. The task of a database security consultant is to protect the databases of the company or organization. They should be an expert in data encryption, database design, And Maintenance. They develop specific software’s and practices to protect and hide the databases from unwanted people outside the organization. In order to protect databases, the security consultant should know about the recent threats in the market such as virus and worm defense.
How Much does a Security Consultant Certification
A security consultant, whether Computer, Networking, Database or Information Security consultant earns an average of 6 lakhs per annum. More knowledge in the field can yield higher pay for this job. The main reason for higher pay in this job is an experience. The more the experience the more you get paid. In common people who are in this field start shifting to other jobs if they have reached 20 or plus years of experience. Certain skills like IT Security and Infrastructure and Security Intrusion Detection also gives you a high pay for this job.
To become a successful security consultant you must first understand things completely and identify their weakness, then find a solution to the problem. Career as a security consultant is enjoyable, challenging and profitable. Kick start your career as a security consultant now and reach great heights in life.
So here are some courses that will help you to get more detail about the Security consultant definition, security consultant certification and also security consultant careers so just go through the link. which is given below.